Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-05-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
I am just curious, why are all the speaker led rings out there made out of Acrylic instead of
polycarbonate? I know acrylic will not UV as much but it seems like it is more prone to crack etc. Just curious is all. Thanks guys.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-05-2013, 10:30 AM Reply   
If you know how to drill acrylic correctly there is no chance of it cracking.

David
Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-07-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
But is there something that makes acrylic better than polycarbonate?
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       07-07-2013, 2:54 PM Reply   
One of my cupholder acrylic rings cracked in 2 pieces. Im not sure when or how it happened, but I just noticed it yesterday.....
Old     (sgoyal)      Join Date: Feb 2013       07-07-2013, 3:23 PM Reply   
At the end of the day, it all comes to cost. Polycarbonate costs more and kinda hard to cut than Acrylic.

Samsung S4...
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-07-2013, 3:29 PM Reply   
After cutting 3+ boats worth of rings, I must say I'm surprised that nobody is casting them out of resin.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-07-2013, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_ashton View Post
After cutting 3+ boats worth of rings, I must say I'm surprised that nobody is casting them out of resin.
The Wet Sounds rings are. But for those that are retailer/installers, it would not be cost effective due to the number of different speaker models you come across. Each model would require a different mold.