Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-04-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
I live by the delta, rarely do the temps get down to freezing, but as a new boat owner I am a little nervous about the ten or so days we will get below freezing in the nightime/early morning hours.

I am into the sta-bil and a full gas tank for sure, but with my dads old boat which we kept outdoors in san jose for years thats all we ever did and it was cool.

So does anyone have thoughts on the necessity of fogging the intake, draining all the water or sucking up some antifreeze in our generally mild climate? Also i am going to be a year round boater and will probably go out a few times during the spring and winter months

Thanks and I'm sure this has been gone over beofre but i am not good at searching (no patience), like I said before I am new and nieve!!!
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-04-2008, 11:27 AM Reply   
How cold is freezing, and for how many hours. You need sub 30 for more than overnight to freeze water to the point of cracking a block.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-04-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Last year it got to 20 for a few nights, but it never gets lower than 40 ish on those rare couple a days where it gets around 30 at night.

Also does the boat insulate the motor at all??
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-04-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
Drain the block and you are good.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-04-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
I would drain the block for that cold, ~20. Better safe than sorry.

I wouldn't drain here, South La., unless forecast calls for <28>35 by 9 the next morning. That's about enough time for water in the boat, under the cover, in the block to kind of slush over, but not hard frozen to expand enough to crack anything.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-04-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Drain the block it's quick and easy. Then you don't have to worry about it.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-04-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
Cool thanks, I have the black scorp motor I think I just take out the blue plug by the inlet to what I would assume to be the seawater pump by the impeller, I noticed quite a few of those plugs here and there on the motor and have no idea what they do...
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-04-2008, 7:56 PM Reply   
Just put a 100 watt light bulb in it it will keep it from freezing. I have had no problems in Clovis just by putting the work light in the engine compartment.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-04-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
Would you need to replace two of the low plugs on the block with pet cocks? I don't know just asking. Anybody...
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-05-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
you said cocks...
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-05-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
I thought about that after I said it. lol