Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-01-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
For those of you who do not know, here in San Diego County we have 2, yes, 2 lakes that we can ride at and have "water contact" in the entire county (San Vicente and El Capitan). That is, until today . San Vicente is starting a project to raise the hieght of the dam so the lake can store more water. Sadly, today was the last day the lake will be open for somewhere around 8 years. We all know how construction projects can be with delays for one reason or another, so I hope it stays on schedule as much as possible. Then there just has to be enough water available to fill it up when they are done. That alone can take a few years.

Anyway, it is with great sadness we say goodbye to our lake, and all the good times we have had there. I can't begin to count all the GREAT friends I/we have made there. I have thousands of great pics to remind me, and tons of great friends that can never be replaced. Over 700 hours on my boat in just over 3 years, and almost all of it on San V. Now the entire county of 3 million has 1 lake for everyone. Other than that, we have Mission Bay and San Diego Bay, both salt water. There is talk, and a huge push, to open another lake for water contact. We will have to do all we can, and keep our fingers crossed.

A huge group of us spent Sunday and today there, taking our last pulls. Had a great time with everyone, but it is still very hard to think that it will be at least another 8 years before we get to see our lake again. Personally I love this lake quite a bit more than El Cap, but I guess I will get use to it (besides it being so close. OK, I am spoiled) Kinda have to. Need to start making to river trips, secret spots (you know who I am talking about ), and hit up some friends who put their boats in the bay. Tons of good times ahead.

Anyway, hope to see everyone soon at El Cap.

Buzz
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-02-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Buzz,(and krew) I am so sorry to hear this, there were rumors around that maybe just MAYBE they wern't going to close it so soon! We can only imagine how you all must feel. Our next contest is next Saturday, hope to see you there!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-02-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Man that sucks! Sorry to hear that. Come to MN we have 10,000 glorious lakes for wakeboarding, never mind the fact they are frozen half the year!
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-02-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
Buzz, I'll trade you days at our Havasu house for your boat detailing services. Let me know.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       09-02-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
It was a good day out there Buzz...sad to see it go. With everyone we have involved, hopefully we can make some magic happen over at Otay. Time will tell I guess.

At least I'll have great memories of my last day out there sunday!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-02-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
"Rowboats, boats with 5 HP outboard motors, and canoes are available for renting on Saturday and Sunday only."

I am guessing this means no wakeboard boats are allowed. perhaps there will be some winching possibility's there???
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-02-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the input and support. We will just have to make the best of what we have left. There is a great wakeboard community here. Some of the best people I have ever met. We will carry on and have great times. It was really hard leaving the lake parking lot, looking back at the lake and ramp, and realizing this will be the last I see of my lake for a long time.

Robyn,

Thanks again for all of your support, and your crew coming down and hanging with us. You guys are what the whole wakeboard community is about, and why I love to be involved. We will be up soon. Promise. You guys are the best!

Andy,

You are killing me! Do you have a room for rent?

Tim,

Definately work something out in the very near future. I will get ahold of you soon. I need a river trip.

Kenny,

Nope. Afraid not. We now have only 1 lake. Working on hopefully getting one more. As far as the cable park, last I heard from a pretty reliable source, looking good. I will try and make a call tomorrow and see what the latest is.

Ian,

Man, what a great weekend. Missed ya Monday, but had a blast Sunday, and at the BBQ. Thanks again for all of your efforts. Had an absolute blast with all of our crew! MANY more good times ahead.
Old     (stevesgone)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-02-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
Yes it is sad. I took my nieces out Saturday and it was the only the second time I saw the lake all summer. I'm so sick of surfing small waves. I wish I would have spent more time at San V before it closed. I'm not afraid to show my tears now.
So mother Ocean bring us some real cold water and big surf. Clip art shows small nuts.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       09-02-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
I'll keep everyone updated via WBSD and wakeworld on the fight to open Otay as an alternative. I'm sure we could get some support from people around here as well.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-02-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Steve,

What is up bud? Good to hear from ya. Don't be a stranger.

Ian,

Keep up the good work. Let me know what I can help with.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-02-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Hey Buzz....glad you got to spend one last day with your beloved....wish I could have spent it with you..got a cast on my leg from a half cab gone bad. I have never been to El Cap. I had such a great time with you and your friends and crew. AS Robyn said...come to the contest in 2 weeks. Hope to see you soon.
Old     (lunatic)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-03-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Sucks about San V. closing, hopefully Otay will be an option for us, that would be sweet.
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       09-03-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
If you are interested in helping us get Otay open, you can go here:

http://wakeboardsd.net/city-council-member/

and email your center council member about it. The more we bug them, the more they will take notice of how serious this issue really is. We have a discussion dedicated to the topic on the forums on WBSD too. Help us!
Old     (stevesgone)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-03-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
Hi Buzz just been working Bankers hours. 8-5's I might just start losing hair. But I have been surfing just enough to keep the gills wet. I hope we get another fresh water spot soon.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-03-2008, 9:57 PM Reply   
Just wanted to throw in my good byes to San V. While I was out of town this weekend, my thoughts were not far from the lake. It's been really good to me and my family over the years, and I too have a zillion new friends there.

As Buzz says, we have a great wakeboarding community here in San Diego. We will carry on with what we have left, and hope that we can contribute to getting another lake opened at least temporarily.

Hope all the San V-ers will share their memories here....

Big thank you to Team Valdez and SoCalMOB for their visit along with Scott Byerly to help us bid farewell to San V this summer!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-04-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
Geri,

Sorry to hear about the leg. Heal up quick. Thanks again for coming down and hanging with us. It really meant a lot.

Dennis,

Missed a great weekend dude!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
Yes, Monday was a sad day. I was out of town last weekend and so could not be there Sunday or over the weekend. A group of us spent the entire Friday the week before saying goodbye. We'll miss San V, the wakeboard/slalom park and those we've come to know there greatly.

See you all at El Cap and hopefully Otay or somewhere else shortly. Count me in on the push with the City. Daxx, I'll hit your link & the City too!
Old     (daxxruckus)      Join Date: May 2008       09-05-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
Thanks Andy. There is a big discussion going on here:

http://wakeboardsd.net/forum/index.php?topic=204.0

I am in the progress of registering and building sdwsa.org - the San Diego Water Sports Association, which will be our organized group of anyone watersports related that we can approach the city with. We need all the support we can get!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-05-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear. That definitely sux.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-05-2008, 11:11 AM Reply   
Daxx,

I'm in and can pull 5-6 friends with me. Let me know when the first SDWSA meeting is!