Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-06-2009, 11:17 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmRoCXq7yRQ&feature=pyv&ad=3376306095&kw=w akeboarding
Old     (jimdockett)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-07-2009, 2:48 AM Reply   
I hope your kidding man.
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-07-2009, 4:19 AM Reply   
why's that Jim? Shadow box is awesome!
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-07-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
I'm not going to lie, that looks cool. I wonder what would happen if I fit it between the decks on my bi-level
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-07-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Shadow Box is SICK!
Old     (freddie_wayne)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-07-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
Just wait man, this morning we filmed Rusty, Murray, Austin Hair, and Adam Fields all using the shadowbox and have some ridiculous data
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
I think they're pretty cool too, hard to justify for the price, but cool none the less.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-07-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
wow, that is pretty damn slick.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-07-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
That is awesome, it's something I would have done back in the day if it was around, now that I have kids and too many toys to take care of it will never happen.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-07-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
Unless you are going to use it to model wakeboarding for a video game, I don't understand the purpose or why it's so cool.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-07-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Skubz, if you want to learn new tricks or go bigger or do something different, you will have all the data to go back and look at and see where you need to change something whether it be in ur edge or take off or landing. Plus you can see how high you really go, it tells you your speed at point a, point b, all kinds of crazy stuff
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-07-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
^$500 could buy you some serious coaching time too...
Old     (skyski1998)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-07-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
look at this, it will tell you a lot about you ride http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90hni...eature=related
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-07-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
^ that tells me I am a malformed video ID rider? that doesnt sound good do I suck?
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-07-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
I really don't get why people hate on the shadowbox. I think its one of the coolest things putting a number to your ridding and its pretty damn accurate. The price is fairly steep and if I wasn't a test rider i probably would not own one yet since I'm a student with no job but once they come up with software to follow other action sports $500 for multiple sports does not seem so high. I see this thing being a huge hit in motocross once its ready.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-07-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Why would it be soo hot in motocross? and not in wakeboarding? both are sports where you are fliping and jumping x amount of feet... why would it excel there and not here... I ride moto and i dont see it helping there at all!
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-07-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
nope I was kidding. I don't have the money for it, but if money wasn't an issue... I would definitely get one. I'd love to go out on the lake with some friends and play "who can ollie the highest or wake jump the highest, or who can jump the farthest"... I'd like to see Randall Harris, Keith Lyman, and Dean Smith go head to head with this thing. :-)
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-08-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
I still think this has a lot of potential use for contests, don't get me wrong style is where a lot of judgment decisions happen but with all the arguments this past year I think shadowbox could of clarified some issues. Also it is so much fun having a highest air or most g-force in a turn contest with shadowbox. I wish it measured wipe out impact. I have also found this very useful in speed rate for boats and winches. The gauge in my boat was way off and not reliable, and old school haha. I don't think the price is to high for what it does but you have to justify your use and if it's worth that to you, some of spend a ton for stereo equip that is not worth it etc.
Old     (scotf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-08-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
I will have to agree shadow box has no place in our industry. Wakeboards are having a hard time selling in the industry, you think this will sell? Sorry It sucks.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-08-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
All it provides is information, for people that thrive on numbers and effects of different forces (ie. engineers) I can see where this has some attraction. It may not be for everyone but I know I'd like to take a spin on the thing just to see what it looked like. Then if someone asked, "how radical did you get", I could respond with true radical answers. If thats not worth the cost alone, I don't know what is...
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
If I were looking to spend money on a device to help me progress my riding it would be a tower mounted camera so I could watch my riding.
Old     (scotf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-08-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
You dont need a machine to tell you how radical you got bro. Just go out and ride with style and that alone shpuld be radical enough. Now days people are focusing to much on how many spins did I do or many flips or whatever.. The point is not many riders are riding with style before they can do crazy inverts and spins. If your actually trying to learn something with this thing great but doubt its going to tell you how radical you got.

Ride with style
Scot
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-08-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
Rider 1: "Dude, did you see that? I totally blasted that air 243.84 cm and traveled 18.288 linear meters!"

Rider 2: "Nah man, you mos def didn't get further than 17.5 meters."

Rider 1: "Nah bro, check the stats. if you watch the little animated board, you can clearly see the exact point that I land. I can't wait to send this to the Liquid Force rep! I've been waiting so long to get sponsored and now I have empirical evidence showing how much I rip! I don't have to depend on the internet anymore!"

Rider 2: "Give me a break broseph, everyone knows you can't get sponsored until you break the 20 meter mark. Seesh!"

Rider 3: "Hey you guys, check out my CRV, i just switched out my stickers because I picked up a new sponsor thanks to my totally rad g-force readout on Thursday."

Riders 1 and 2: "Woooooah!"

Rider 3: "Yeah, it's pretty effin' sweet. And I owe it all to Shadowbox."

Everyone: "SHADOWBOX RULES!"
Old     (scotf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-08-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
kill me know if this is what wakeboarding has come to. I would love to see the reaction on the liquid reps face as hes cracking up at how dumb you are sending in a video thinking THATs whats going to set you apart and get you sponsored.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-08-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
I'd like to try it. I guess I'm uncool, have no style and will never be able to get a sponsor.
Old     (anthemwake)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-08-2009, 12:16 PM Reply   
Fair enough, but there's a big difference in wanting to try it and thinking that it's going to change anything or provide a ton of value. I guess I can just think of a million better ways to spend that money. Maybe I just don't get it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-08-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
No Scot, radical is told by machines only. Style is overrated and wakeboarding should go back to writing down your runs, not only for competition but for so-called "free" riding. Freedom isn't free, it actually costs a buck O five and payment is collected in the form of a trick list.

Apparently the sarcasm wasn't laid on thick enough the first time, hope this round helps.

It's a gadget that some will spend $ on, I don't see any claims of revolutionizing the sport. If they make an easy button or a steeze button then I'm in!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-08-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
HAHA

Does it have a built in style gauge too?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2009, 2:23 PM Reply   
I think there is a little bit of an over reaction going on. Nobody is trying to use this as a replacement for style or judging, it's just an expensive toy. Like most expensive toys, it has no practical use, but if you have the money and feel like spending it, I don't see anything wrong with it, and think it could even be kind of cool.

Obviously, some the best riders in the world are having some fun with it. If they can, I don't see why it's such an issue.
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-09-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
The thing freaking communicates with outer space! I'm old so this still amazes me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzNrO54xsY
Old     (mfifer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-09-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
Keep this crap out of wakeboarding and wakeskating. This is not golf or gymnastics although some people treat wakeboarding more like gymnastics with coaches and the whole nine yards. I just hope dumb crap like this never comes around in wakeskating. It always amazes me what the wakeworld guys think is awesome and what is not.
Old     (sethenol)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-09-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
Yes and keep any other educated inspiration from wakeboarding and wakeskating, no one wants things like winches or sesitec 2.0 and damn the person who invented the skurfer, or rails etc.. I mean let's not experiment with anything who knows where it could lead. No one needs to combine the things they love with the things they know. It could be drastic. Seriously? You can't step out of the box? Yes it's expensive and I probably wouldn't have one if it was given to me but yes it is FUN and I just don't understand why you can think anything that is part of the wake industry is a bad thing, even wake pants. If it's not fun then it will progress or fade. It should only about fun and progression.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-09-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
We gotta keep everything "legit" ...

God forbid if someone with the money actually goes out and buys a toy that tells them stats about their riding.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-10-2009, 9:22 PM Reply   
It amazes me some times that products that are not "Core Cool" get put down as worthless and dumb. If you don't want to use a Shadow Box that is up to you. Personally, I have see this thing in action, I am impressed. I have seen my fair share of new products, and some are great and some turn out to be worthless. Either way you should atleast make an educated decision by researching and possibly testing out a product. my .02

Free rider or contest rider will benefit from this unit, even if you dont ride with it on your board. Think about the R&D (research and development) possibilities of this product. You could show small differences in rockers, board layups, ability to take a landing(in g forces I think, dont quote me on that one) Maybe it could even put to rest the age old argument of which has more pop, flex versus traditional wakeboards. Maybe attach one to a helmet and a dummy and do your own "Myth Busters" to see if helmets have a harder impact than not wearing a helmet? And that is just a few things I could think of in wakeboarding, not including, snowboarding, surfing, MotoX, yatta yatta yatta.

So go ahead and say how you will never use it, and how it is ruining free riding, that is is worthless cause it cant judge style, and what ever else you want to come up with. My prediction is that it will affect your riding in some way. Either in the board you ride, the ability of your favorite rider, or god forbid you try it out when your friends are looking so you can remain "cool"! haha
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-11-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
Corey and Seth, spot on chaps. If you dont like it, dont buy it, and stop worrying about it. The end. And for guys looking for style, wouldnt you like to see if you are popping your tricks higher, or taking them farther into the flats? Instead of "Well...I think that last one was higher." Just saying, it can help your progress your style.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-11-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
i thought the guy who dies with the most toys wins... it amazes me how people on this site impose their beliefs on all others. i agree with Ben, if you like it, buy it, if you dont like it, dont buy it, but leave those who do alone, its their money, their lives and their choice.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-11-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
I think it looks kinda cool.

Being a past motocross rider. I personally know guys who were a lot more serious than me that would set up transpoders at different points of the track to see where they were fast and slow, with this... you could even see how low your staying on jumps and what corners your not charging into. Two different sports of course. but... I'm just saying that everything advances with technology... and it may be the norm in the future that people use this... maybe not... sports are all about advancing and a lot of time that involves some sort of technology.