Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-20-2009, 9:43 PM Reply   
I have a 23' Wakesetter and simply 'buying gas' does not represent what the cost is per hour to pull. Who has done the math to know what the cost per hour is completely from having bought, maintained and taken loss when selling 5 years later?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
well if you know the maintanence cost for the service just divide that buy how many hours before they require you for the service and there you go. i couldnt tell you the loss after 5 years.. so i guess im no help
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-20-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
It's alot.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-20-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
I appreciate that you'd want to know this kind of stat to make some kind of intelligent purchase..... ie; Malibu vs Mastercraft vs Nautique vs whatever other brand of boat.

But if your doing it to justify the purchase vs some other boy toy, or sport? I'd have to say your not in it for the right reasons.

Having owned numerous boats in the last 20 or so years, Malibu isn't the most economical. And it's NOT by any stretch of the imagination cost effective. We do it for other reasons....... having got the itch at some point in our lives, we have to scratch it. And the quality of boat, time spent on the water with friends & family, and what little I will get out of it IF I ever sell it.... thats enough.

Good luck justifying it any other way.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-20-2009, 10:32 PM Reply   
Seriously, I have never done the math, but I would figure roughly (from buying new) for five years of ownership:

$20,000 in depreciation
$6000 in storage
$4500 in maintenance and repairs
$3600 in insurance

This puts the cost (sans gas) at $34,100 for five years (not including interest carrying costs). If you figure about 100 hours a year for 500 hours. That's about $68 an hour (34,100 divided by 500) as the cost without gas.

Not cheap. However, it's actually less than I thought it would be -- probably cause I didn't include interest cost.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2009, 11:12 PM Reply   
You only live once.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-20-2009, 11:40 PM Reply   
The cost of owning a boat for 5 years?

Priceless!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-21-2009, 12:08 AM Reply   
This thread is a buz kill. I vote to delete.

Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-22-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
I agree with the 'buz kill', and that you only live once...all the same at some points in the economy there could be the requirement for riders to help with the cost of having the boat to use....the $70- per hour plus gas was my best guess also. It's a reality check....not that I'm going to stop.
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-22-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Just ride more and your costs go down. 24-7 and it's almost free.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-22-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
how many times you going to ask same ------ question Im trying to be nice and not say stupid question ooops.
Man im sorry if you really need to know this to justify having a boat you dont understand boating IMPO.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-22-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
Seriously, you're kidding right? I can't imagine it's that much difference between makes to ask this again! Like it was said above if your that worried than DON'T buy a boat, again seriously.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-22-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
there used to be a excel spreadsheet on here a few years back.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-22-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
cable, winch, mooch
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-22-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
Boat stands for

B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand

Owning a boat is like owning an exotic car. If you have to ask you can`t afford it! I`ll bet 99% of the people here could care less about the cost. They do it because they love it. I know I do it for the pricless memories that it has brought me with friends and family. Neither of which I can put a price on. lol I guess I am no help am I..
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-22-2009, 6:47 PM Reply   
Is the second thread really necessary?

Oh yeah, and we all know you're never going to financially justify a boat, but the hours spent riding are priceless.
Old     (bobbyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-22-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Try racing an offshore boat talk about expensive. For about 15 hours of fun. But grabbing the checkered flag its priceless.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
I ran about 60 hours the first year of owning my boat. With everything included, payments, gas, insurance, registration, maintainence, it came up to just at $100 an hour. Ouch, but memories forever. Now if I can just keep it off the rocks this year!
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-23-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
New to the discussion board, I inadvertently posted the second, not seeing the first had taken...and Yes, the boat/boarding time is PRICELESS. I am guilty of the same passions. All the same somebody has to deal with the math. Anyone tell me how to delete duplicate threads I'd be pleased to do that.
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   

quote:

New to the discussion board, I inadvertently posted the second, not seeing the first had taken...

Gotcha
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-24-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
How about calculating it for the time you actually ride behind the boat? You better REALLY like to wakeboard!

The times spent with family/friends out on the boat are priceless. This calc is on the list of things i will not break down financially. If you can't afford your current setup, downgrade, and let the party continue.....