Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    04nautique            07-18-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
Wondering if anyone successfully negotiated the price down of a new boat? I was recently told by a dealer new boat prices are pretty much solid.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-18-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
The better the brand the more solid the price.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-18-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
A few years back ('02), I negotiated an X-Star about $8k off the MSRP, and got $24k in trade for my '98 PS205 (Cope & McPhetres). I thought I had gotten a good deal...
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-18-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
It depends on a few things...
If the dealer has been sitting on a boat for a while(maybe a color no one likes), they are more likely to negotiate a price. End of summer prices are more negotiable than in spring.
Old    04nautique            07-18-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
Pretty much what I thought. I have an 04 Air Nautique 210 and looking to upgrade to the 220 but it has a 67K sticker with it....WAY TOO much for any boat!
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-18-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
If they don't want to negotiate in price then I would look else where. Find another dealer or have another brand that you like just as much then pit the two agaist each other. I am sure that they all have a built in profit for each boat sold. Every year they have "boat show discounts" or "off season sales".
Old     (supra24ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-18-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
If you don't, you are crazy. I don't care about the brand there are huge markups on these boats and i promise some dealers want to sell more than others.
Old     (bigbird1031)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-18-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
i had several dealers tell me to buy local when i called around. it was hard to negotiate a good deal until i told the i was not close to any dealer. 2 hours from each. finally got the deal and trade i wanted
Old    abadsvt            07-18-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
It also has to do with how many boats that dealer has sold. I was told that they get a rebate for a certain amount of boats they sell each year.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-19-2006, 5:52 AM Reply   
It might also depend on how many boats the dealer can get. If they only get a certain amount of spray dates per season they will try to get the higher price for the boat.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-19-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Everything is negotiable.

At the height of the season the dealer might not be willing to negotiate much. Wait until October and they will be a little more flexible. If they still have 2006 models sitting around next February I can assure you they will negotiate. The last thing the dealer wants is to have 2006 models on the lot when the 2007 models arrive.

Boat shows are a great way to get deals, especially if you are interested in the newest model. If you are willing to place an order in February and wait until the end of March for delivery the deal can be pretty good.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       07-19-2006, 11:17 AM Reply   
Just remember when negotiating you have to get the upper hand somehow. EVERYTHING can be negotiated it depends on a few things.
1.timing is a huge factor
2.you must be educated on the matter you cant negotiate without it
3.you have to know what YOUR willing to pay and you have to be willing to through out that "walk away" card and go somewhere else if the dealer dosent meet your needs.
4.Negotiate in good faith. If the dealer meets your needs and gives you the deal you ask for you have to be able to do it, your past the window shopping stage.
I have negotiated some fairly large deals and havent ever felt like I got a bad deal because I stick to the rules and follow these simple steps.
hope this helps, good luck
JJ