Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (fyrdawg)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
I am looking at buying an 05 Malibu VLX, but i dont know if it will fit in my garage with the tower folded down. My garage is 7 feet high exactly. Any comments would be great.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-18-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
Which tower are you getting? I asked the same questions about our new WakeWorld Wakesetter with the Blade tower and they said it would be 114" with the tower up and 83" with it down. That's on a 2006, but it's the same hull, so I'm assuming the height should be the same.
Old     (fyrdawg)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-18-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
i am gonna put the illusion tower on it.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-18-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
I was in a Charles / Chas stereo shop last week and I couldn't see into the 05 LSV sitting on that trailer..... I am 5-10' & I couldn't believe how massive the boat was; both heighth and width included, it was crazy.

Definately a big boat with plenty of roam, as far as actual height, Dave's estimate sounds about right, but HEAVY thats a big boat!!!

Old    zboomer            04-18-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
Depends on trailer, but no way it will fit with an Illusion-X and typical trailer.

The tower does fold down and sits on the dash, but parts of it stick up about a foot over the windshield. (the part where the rope tow point is, and the racks)

On mine (with Extreme trailer) the windshield would fit under the 7-foot garage door by a few inches, but the tower ends up a foot over the windshield. See the problem? :-)

If you did drastic measures like lowering the air in the tires, maybe removed the tow ball, it might fit, but I doubt it. I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine right now, I'm bummed it won't fit.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-18-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
Malibu Does offer a low profile trailer that is suppose to lower everything about 4 inches.
Old    zboomer            04-18-2005, 6:30 PM Reply   
That would have to be a dealer option. Malibu doesn't build trailers or have a parner. Each dealer finds their own source.

Do you know what brand the low-profile trailer is? Sounds interesting.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-18-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
If you can take it off your vehicle and lower the tongue onto a jack it should fit. We got my friends in (barely) doing this.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-19-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
I ordered it from oue dealer out here in Nor Cal they use extreme trailers
Old    nightrider            04-19-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   
I HAVE A 7 FOOT DOOR ON THE GARAGE DOOR AND IF I DID NOT HAVE THE LOW PROFILE KIT ON MY TRAILER, WHICH REALLY JUST MEANS SMALLER PROFILE TIRES, I DONT THINK IT WOULD FIT UNDER. YOUR NOT SUPPOSE TO PUT THE TOWER ON THE DASH, BUT YOU HAVE TO FOR A LITTLE BIT TO GET THE BALL BELOW THE FRAME OF THE GARAGE. THEN LIKE THE OTHER GUY SAID, I PUT IT ON A JACK AND PUSH IT IN BY HAND. THE HITCH TO THE EXTREME TRAILER HAS TO BE ONLY ABOUT 3 OR 4 INCHES OFF THE GROUND, AS THE BALL ON THE TOWER SLIDES UNDER. ITS A PAIN......BUT IF YOU GET ONE MAKE SURE YOU GET A LOW PROFILE FOR THE EXTRA HELP.
Old    zboomer            04-19-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
Interesting... I could try lowering the air pressure in the tires on my extreme.

Problem is, I have to fit the boat diagonal, and can you imagine trying to muscle a tandem trailer sideways, with the tires flat, with the hitch 2 inches off the ground, with the tower almost scraping?

Ugh, doubt I could do it. Even if so, what a major pain to get the boat in. Damnit.
Old     (fyrdawg)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
I want this VLX but.... It seems like a whole lot of trouble. Is the wake worth the hassle? I know, everyone who owns a VLX will say it is. But, i gotta say the boat is gorgous!!!
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-19-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
brett, i ordered my vlx with the illusion tower. i also have a 7' garage door opening. i am not even sure it would fit with a low pro trailer. at the dealer today the standard trailer fender height was @ 30". on the low pro it was 26.5. but when i measured from the top of the gunuls, there was only an 1 1/2" diff. i am debating what to do. dealer wants $600.00 for a low pro trailer. need @ a 90" or so opening. i may spend the cash on modifying the garage instead, or getting a potable tent type structure for summer parking and remove the tower for the garage in the winter. good luck
Old    zboomer            04-20-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
Get the Titan-III tower. It's very nice looking, and folds almost flat.

Some think it looks better than the Illusion-X, but that's a matter of taste.

I'm in the same pickle you guys are, it won't fit in my garage. I'm deciding if I want to build onto the side of garage, somehow raise the roof of garage, or what.

The new VLX is worth the hassle. :-)
Old     (mimafour)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-20-2005, 9:07 AM Reply   
i just spoke with extreme trailers. the low pro trailer package is more just for looks. it is only going to lower the sides of the boat 1" or so. the tower height will only change about 1" or so. for $590 for a low pro trailer, that is an expensive 1". mike
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
Another option is the new Skylon tower, developed for the 05 VLX. I personally like this one much better than the Titan as far as looks, is it is much sturdier. I have had them side by side, and the skylon is rock solid. I have had 4 boards, and my Defcon 4's on it, and no problems. It folds down very easily with one person, and the tower sits about 1-2" above the height of the windshield. I can't find the pic right now, but will post it if I do. Just another option.
Old     (fyrdawg)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
I just want to get the thing into my garage. I will look into the new skylon tower. Thanks for the info