Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                01-04-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
I just got a new computer, and for Christmas I got a video camera. The only problem is that I have no fire wire connection in my computer. Just a usb connection. Is there any upgrade or adatption that you can get that allows you to get a fire wire connection in your computer. All input is wanted!
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-04-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
Yes, you can buy a Firewire card, or even a Firewire and USB 2.0 combo card pretty cheaply. As an example, on eBay they go for as low as $10 or so.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3450597105&category=44 933

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2777562323&category=17 0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2976884266&category=21 164
Old                01-05-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
Thx a bunch for the advice Bill. Do you have to get the chip installed into your computer though?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-05-2004, 4:16 PM Reply   
chip? what chip? just install the card and you're good to go. are you talking about the chip for taking still pics on your vidcam?
Old                01-06-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
I agree with Bill. Just go out and buy the cheapest firewire card you can find. Until you get to real-time graphic rendering cards ($500+ range), all firewire cards are going to be equal.

If you buy on e-bay (I did) pay attention to what is bundled with the card. It will usually come with a firewire cord and some sort of editing software. It won't be the top of the line software, but it is decent stuff. I bought the card, with a cord, and a copy of Ulead Editing software (version 5.0 when 7.0 was top of the line) for $5.95 before shipping. Total cost with shipping was something like $10.00

EDIT - just to let you know that the second link that Bill posted is the exact set up that I bought on E-Bay. It looks like they raised the price a few cents, but the bundle is the same.

The first link is for a firewire and USB combination card. While this is more expensive, if you are worried about running out of card space in your computer, this is a good options to combine 2 common cards into 1.

The third link is for a card only (no cable or software). While this may look like the cheapest route to go, you have to consider that you still need to buy a cord. So in my mind, the better value is to look of a bundle that includes all three items for a couple dollars more.

(Message edited by 6more on January 06, 2004)
Old                01-06-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
Thx for the advice guys. I already have a cord and a video editing softwear. I think im going to order a card this week.