Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-24-2013, 7:11 AM Reply   
At Lake Gaston, we have a few 2 and 3 lane bridges that don't have excess clearance and to go to different creeks. As a result, it is important for all boats to observe this, and create no wake, or the wake can push people's towers into the bridge. I saw a few weeks ago one boat bite it under the bridge when the water was high, and another friend said a mastercraft got hung up and a lot of damage was done. It doesn't take muchg variance to get into trouble.

Anyway, this past weekend I am barely putting through when an I/O hauling 2 tubes off the back of the boat was probably going about 10 mph through the bridge creating a wake. I screamed at him that this was a NO WAKE ZONE and he screamed back that he wasn't creating a wake. At that point, my boat starting rocking back and forth of which I replied, "THAT IS A WAKE".

So, I suspect most of you know what a no wake zone means, but damn if it doesn't piss me off when people don't observe it. Probably could have handled the situation better, but didn't have much time to be nice about it.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-24-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
It blows my mind how many beginner boaters think that by going 10 mph or so they are going slow enough and not throwing a wake when in fact they are going the speed that throws the biggest possible wake.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-24-2013, 9:14 AM Reply   
It's soo frustrating to me when people slow down to 10-12mph, thinking they are being courteous to us while we are picking up a rider.

Either maintain your speed and pass or pull it into neutral and then idle past.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-24-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
Just had a guy on my FB feed post a pic of him and some friends in a new supra, doing probably 30mph under a bridge in a no wake zone.
Real cool.
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-24-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
^^^ I lived on that lake for 6-7 years. technically it's a no wake zone under that bridge ( no bouys, never enforced) . Based on the pic...it's early morning ( sun reflection and they are heading towards the river to ride) and cold. If it's cold, the lake is a ghost town...add in the early hour....bet there's maybe 2-3 boat on the entire lake. Visibility is really good under that section of the bridge.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-24-2013, 11:25 AM Reply   
Is that the old "no cop, no stop" philosophy?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-24-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
Our lake officials (Tri Dam) are guilty of creating confusion.

The lake buoys at our lake say 5mph and that's it.

They should say " NO WAKE".

what happens is the retarded people go 4.5 mph and are throwing a huge wake and think they are doing nothing wrong because their speedo says 4.5 mph Some boats have no problem throwing a roller just by having it in gear going 3 MPH. Some light weight boats have no problem going 5mph and not throwing a wake.

Even after this was pointed out to them in a Lake Meeting about how 5mph sends mixed signals they still chose to label all the new Buoys 5mph.