Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-10-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Wife and I are going to be at Turtle Bay Resort at the end of July. Anyone ever wakeboard on the north shore of Oahu? Any recommendations on places that might offer boarding? Thought it might be kind of fun to ride while we are there. We are also looking into taking some kiteboarding lessons.

While on the subject of Hawaii, anyone ever fish on the north shore of Oahu? Found one decent looking charter (Chupa Charters) and cannot seem to find any others. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-10-2005, 9:25 PM Reply   
Tim,
No wakeboarding on the North Shore side of Oahu. Only places to wakeboard are Keehi Lagoon, Kaneohe Bay and Koko Marina. Keehi Lagoon is near the airport and your best place to ride. Shoot me a PM and I will give you the contact info to my brother who's the contest director for Hawaii and a few friends that you might be able to hook up with. It's best to bring at least your own boards. Also, it's common etiquette to stay and help soap wash the boat and gear. It's salt water so anything that was near the water needs to be washed. If you can't stay, it's always nice to throw down a little extra cash to make up for it.

As far as Kiteboarding on Oahu, Kailua area is your best best. As for fishing charters on the north shore, I would expect that the boats launch out of Haleiwa Harbor. Do a search for that. Otherwise, your only other bet would be a charter near Ala Moana but that's a far hike from Turtle Bay.

Aloha and have a great trip!
Old    wakecastle            07-11-2005, 2:50 PM Reply   
I wakeboard in Kaneohe bay, just like Ryan said no wakeboarding on the North Shore. Give me an e-mail if you want to go for a pull. Ryan do you live on Oahu?
Old    wakecastle            07-11-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
Tim, also if you want to find out about good local fishing charters, shoot me an e-mail and I'll give you a good contact.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-11-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
Phil,
I don't anymore but my whole family is still in Hawaii. I usually get home for about a month every spring time. Maybe we can hook up for a ride the next time I'm in town.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-11-2005, 6:12 PM Reply   
Ryan, you left out Hickam Harbor!

Tim, I got a '05 SV211 and usually ride in Koko Marina (no weight, small wake) or Keehi Lagoon, which is Da' Bomb! Shoot me a PM if you want to hook-up and get a pull. If you can't bring your own gear, you can use our stuff. Bring some Salt-Away

Aloha,

Alan
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-11-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
Come on Alan,
You know Hickam is unrideable to those without proper military ID......frickin 911 terrorists screwed up so many of the smallest things for people.

Old    wakecastle            07-12-2005, 11:23 AM Reply   
Ryan,
Definitely...and we military/gov employees can take guests on the installations. Let me know when you're in town. I've got a converted outboard (SS175)with tower and ballast that throws a decent, rideable wake.