Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-26-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
Has anyone ever used a Ridesteady boat speed control? Thinking about getting a Stargazer wake edition and was comparing the two.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-27-2011, 12:22 AM Reply   
I installed the ridesteady system in my boat about three weeks ago and have been very happy with it, but you can't really compare the two. Ridesteady uses a paddle wheel while stargazer uses gps. I really think it all depends on what type of water you ride on (water with a current or none moving water). From my understanding gps reads land speed and of course the paddle wheel is based on your speed moving through the water. I have heard that pp has pretty good customer service, but I had no problem getting hold of justin at hydrophase when I had several questions on my install. I will give you my pros and cons for ridesteady since that is what I have, but can't really give you a comment on stargazer since I've never been on a boat that had it.

Ridesteady Pros: easy to use on a river with current, great customer service, less expensive then stargazer, detailed install instructions w/ pictures in manual and online, easy install, gauge is easy to read, don't have to deal with changing the settings depending on the amount of ballast you are using, quality hardware, reads water temperature, easy to adjust speed, has memory of the last set speed, gauge turns on with the turn of the key, does a good job maintaining speed.

Cons for Ridesteady: you need to drill a 2" hole in the bottom of your boat for paddle wheel, hydrophase is a new company (but perfect pass needed some competition), can't save multiple rider programs

There are probably other pros and cons I am missing, but the cons aren't really a big deal too me, plus I ride on a river and I'm very happy with what I've got.

Moon
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-27-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
There's some info in this thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787820
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-30-2011, 4:10 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-30-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon;
cant save multiple rider programs
Moon
I have PP Stargazer and I've never used this feature. Generally everybody rides at the same speed but if somebody wants a little faster or a little slower we just click the setpoint up or down a few clicks with the up/down arrows. Never has seemed to be worth saving a rider profile.

So, my point is that I wouldnt really consider this to be much of a "con".
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-31-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I have PP Stargazer and I've never used this feature. Generally everybody rides at the same speed but if somebody wants a little faster or a little slower we just click the setpoint up or down a few clicks with the up/down arrows. Never has seemed to be worth saving a rider profile.

So, my point is that I wouldnt really consider this to be much of a "con".

I use that feature all the time. We have one saved setting for surfing, one for skiing, one for wakeboarding for me, and one for wakeboarding for my wife. It would be a HUGE pain for us if we did not have this feature. Each of the 4 saved settings has the wake plate in adifferent position, very different speeds, etc. Way to many things to change all the time.

Last edited by tre; 08-31-2011 at 8:02 AM. Reason: added to post
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-31-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
what is the difference between this paddle wheel and the speedometer paddle wheel? because my speedometer isn't very accurate and sometimes doesn't pick up a reading
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-31-2011, 3:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
what is the difference between this paddle wheel and the speedometer paddle wheel? because my speedometer isn't very accurate and sometimes doesn't pick up a reading
What year/make boat do you have? I ask because I wonder if you have a pitot tube to pickup the speed of your boat as opposed to a paddle wheel. pitot tube speedos always clog and are not reliable. A paddle wheel speedo is very reliable IF it is mounted correctly. I've never had one issue with mine.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-31-2011, 6:22 PM Reply   
If Ridesteady offered a GPS based system (or Nautic Laugic offered an add-on) I would really consider this over PP. But since they don't I have zero interest in the system. .
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-31-2011, 7:40 PM Reply   
I don't see the advantage of GPS over a paddlewheel. The only thing I can think of is if you hit some debris and it takes out the paddlewheel you'd have to drive manually for the rest of the day unless you have your paddlewheel spare parts or a spare assembly handy. I ride in a river that ALWAYS has lots of debris and haven't damaged a paddlewheel yet.

I bought my PP paddlewheel system shortly before RideSteady came out and if I was to do it again now, I wouldn't have a problem going with RideSteady from the feedback I've read. The decision would come down to which paddlewheel system is cheaper.

GPS would not be an option for me since I ride a river with strong currents that are constantly changing. Even if I didn't, I like having water temperature and don't see what GPS gains over a paddlewheel. If I'm missing some way that the GPS system performs better, let me know.