Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    abadsvt            06-26-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
Okay everyone my boat search might have be over. I found a sweet boat. It is a 97' Prostar 205 with tower and the upgrade motor the LT-1 Corvette motor, teak swim step, tandem trailer, and 400hrs. It is a 3hr drive which is nice since i have been looking for an 8-15hr drive. It is a little over priced at 21999 but we are trying to get him down a little. Aren't these great boats? How is the wake? Down the road if we have motor problems how hard are these boats to work on? Is there anything i should know about these boats?

here is the boat pics
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/4144766/84287723_1.jpg
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/4144766/84287723_9.jpg
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-26-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
This is boat is awsome. I learned how to wakeboard behind this boat. I would buy it, if you weight it down right it has one of the best wakes I have ever ridden behind. BCP Mike
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-26-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
That hull is the same hull as the current X1, old x2 and xstar. Its one of the best out there. The only thing I didn't like about mine(I had a 2000) is you run short on room when you get it sac'd out.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
sick boat bro, you'll dig it. I thought that was the hull before the current X1. Either way it's a great boat and the LS1 will more than get the job done.
Old    abadsvt            06-26-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
I called the dealership and it was kind of shady. I guess they buy boats at auctions then sell them. They didn't know anything about the boat, they wouldn't hold a deposit for until wednesday so i can come buy and look at it. Is it bad to buy a boat without knowing the history? The only thing that i have on my side is my family are mechanics so if anything does go wrong i could probably fix it. Still not sure. I also found a sweet 98 xstar for 25k. It is really nice but is has 800hrs on it. Isn't that alot. He told me that 400hrs on a boat is equal to 10k miles in a car. Is that true? If that is true then boats can run for 5000hrs with normal maintance. Thanks for the complements if i do get it.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-26-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
That hull started in 1996 and has been the same since. The 98 xstar is the exact same boat, only a year newer and double the hours. I don't know about 400hrs being equivelent to 10k miles, but that is not many hrs for a 1997. My 01 has more than that and still runs like its new. The best thing you can do is test drive it. From the pic you posted, it was obvious that it wasn't at a MC dealer. Maybe you could take it to one and have it checked out. You can check things like interior condition, hull condition etc to see if the boat has been taken care of.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-26-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Judging from what you can see in the pictures, the boat looks to be in real good shape.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
I would not worry to much about it. You said you had mechanics in your family, Take one of them with you and have them check the motor out. You can make sure the boat is in good shape otherwise.
You said that you are not going to have them do the maintnance anyways so don't worry about them being hard to deal with. Make sure it has a legit title. Get a bill of sale and enjoy an awesome boat, if you can get the price where you want it.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-26-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Great boat, but a clarification on the motor (for Evan); that's an LT1, not an LS1. Also a great motor, and the torque curve is really better than an LS1 for a boat application IMO. It also looks like the marinized version doesn't have the Opti-crap (Opti-spark) ignition, which is a blessing.

On the 98 Xstar, 800 hours isn't too much, and just shows the other boat was used regularly. If the 98 is in better shape, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it over the 97 205. You can expect 3000 or so hours out of a motor with good maintenance and no major overheating events.
Old     (psycho)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
i just sold my ps 205. awesome boat. you'll love it. it's built like a tank. you can't go wrong with a m/c!
Old     (psycho)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
there is another nice looking 97 205 on flipsell. it is in phoenix. they are asking pretty much the same price, but it has less hrs.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-26-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
I have only rode behind that boat (mutliple times), never owned one, but we put a couple fatsacs in and it threw a wake up to par with any other big boat.
Old    abadsvt            06-26-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
I keep thinking about that x star. 800 hrs may not be bad now but after i own it and add another 500hrs on it will it still be able for a resale in 5yrs. Would you buy a boat with 1300hrs that is in great condition? I also am thinking about resale for when i do get to upgrade to a new boat i will be able to without loosing alot of my money. Thanks
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-26-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
Thanks Trace. I was typing not thinking. Not even sure there is a marinized LS1. That motor is a definite plus for a boat. Tons of torque and definitely no opti-spark (an abomidable device, LOL).

Josh, personally I wouldn't think twice about a well maintained boat with 800 hours, but if you put 500 more hours on it you'll definitely have a hard time selling it in a few years. Right or wrong, that's been my experience. Buyers gave me a hard time about my '02 Sanger that had 450 hours on it when I went to sell it last year and that boat was spotless. People get tweaked over boat hours for some reason. IMO normal use is 100 hours per year. A lot less and I'd be worried about how much the boat sits. More and the person is riding a ton.

Just my opinions. I think that 205 looks clean from the pics, but it's amazing what a good detail will do. I'd have a look at all the fluids and take a close look over the boat. Bring along someone else to have a look, too. Always better to have more than one set of eyes. I'll be the first to admit that I've bought cars purely on a "I want it" attitude versus having patience and finding a better buy.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-26-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
Whoah, looks like my old boat that I traded into Cope back in '02... LT-1 and everything...

Different tower now that I look at it...

Upload
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-27-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
Josh,
I have a '96 205 and every time I think of getting rid of it I don't because of the great wake. The only thing I was told when I bought mine was the LT1 engines were hard to keep tuned right, so many people did not want that engine. Also I would say 400 hours is more like 20,000 miles on a car or more, because you engine is at higher RPM than a car, think of it like driving your car in first gear all the time. Like many people said, test drive, test drive, test drive! You will enjoy which ever boat you pick!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-02-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
Awesome boats. You will love the wake. What color is the 98 X-Star that you are looking at? Just curious.

We've got 840(+?) hours now on our 97 X-Star and still runs beautifully. I agree with Evan about 100 hours being a normal season, and to be wary of boats with really really low hours because they can have issues with seals and such due to lack of use.