Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (crazy4two)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-31-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
I am in a dillema. Here is my situation.. I have a 2003 Centurian Hurricane that we take to our cabin on the lake during the summer months (May-Sept approx.) I live in the Seattle area and we have to take the ferry over. Well, a round trip fare towing the boat is 100.00 and then some and then there is gas. Anyway, I would like to leave my boat over there during the week so it is already there when I arrive on the weekend. So here is my dillema; I thought it would be nice to have a boat lift so I looked into the option. The only dealer I could find over here is a Hewitt dealer and I priced it to be around $3200 for a basic manual lift. I really cannot justify spending that kind of cash for the little use it would get. So, I then looked at mooring whips, but I am not sure how they work. I need help to decide what option to go with. What is everyone using to moor/dock their boat. I like the lift idea if I lived there and had the boat on the water all of the time but I don't, it comes home with me during the winter months. Please help
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-01-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
Why not just trailer the boat and leave it next to your cabin? If that is not an option, I would get the lift, especially if it is going to be there all summer. Leaving a boat in the water for three months is asking for problems.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-01-2005, 7:09 AM Reply   
Hey Scott, which lake are you on? I'm in the Seattle area as well. I would recommend the moorign whips for two reasons- 1) depending on the amount of Boat traffic your lake has, your boat is still going to rock and roll a lot when you're not around- and that's a very nice boat to take the chance of having it banged into the dock. More importantly, 2) your boats hull will get very fugly sitting in the water all week while you're gone. At best it will yellow significantly and be a real mess to clean up- at worse, you'll have stuff growing in the water intake, muffler outlets, and on the entire boat bottom.
I would either invest in the lift or storage closer to your cabin and just accept that you've got to pull the boat every Sunday before heading home. Either way- i'd love to have your dilema- we're looking for a weekend place right now.
Will-
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-01-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
Oops - I meant I wouldn't recommend the mooring whips!
Old    d_fresh            04-01-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
First of all keeping a boat in the water all summer long you could potentially get blisters in the gell coat. The price to repair blisters on a hull can easily be as high as $3000. Shop around for a used hoist, but don't leave the boat in the water when not used.