Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-05-2004, 6:11 AM Reply   
any one have custom v shaped ballast bags for the front of the boat. I would like a v shaped bag able to hold 400 pds, 200 pounds on each side of the v point. Three hole bagger, vent, drain, fill? Let me know who makes them or if you have one for sale.

thanks,
Mike
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-05-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
Boarder's Paradise sells custom bags through bigwake.com I think who actually makes the bag to your specs.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-05-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
Might have to use two sacks (like side sacks) and then just join them together with hose.
Old    jmccallum            08-06-2004, 10:13 AM Reply   
try www.letsgoride.com they do great super tuf sacs
Old    tkdhav            08-07-2004, 7:57 PM Reply   
these guys might be able to build it for you!

http://www.bigwake.com/products.asp
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-10-2004, 10:33 AM Reply   
Mike, I agree a custom sac would be the best.

A cheap solution would be to use the Fly High side sacs:
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail.lasso?cat=8&man=Fly%20High&sku=FL_97GnFHvPQ o8D

I've seen one person that put both in the bow running along the sides and meeting at the tip of the bow. For my bow weight I use a huge locker sac that runs almost all the way to the bow in the locker, plus one of those side sacs above the locker running port to starboard in front of the kickplate area, and T'd in off the locker sac fill/drain plumbing line. In either case, there's not enough height to fill those side sacs all the way. So you have to either vent them very well or be very careful filling them. They only have two stock drain ports but you could use them for fill and vent, then use a plastic thru-hull fitting to make a custom drain port like these guys did:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/57302.jpg
http://www.epicmarine.com/images/thumbs/drainandsack.jpg
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-10-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
FL SurfLover,

What type of bag did you use in your ski locker? I have a super sport just like you and I am looking for a bag that will completely fill the ski locker. I think I'm gonna have to get a custom made one. Is that what you did? If so, where did you get it from and how do you like it? Thanks!
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-11-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
Justin,

I'm using the BG sacs by Masterline for my rear v-drive lockers. They are about 51" long by 19" around. They fill up the space pretty well, but custom sacs could do better. Mine could be 5-6" taller. What would help the most is to relocate my batteries. I moved the stock battery to the inside corner of the locker, but also installed a 2nd battery in the opposite rear locker in its inside corner. So one end of each sac has to fit around the battery box. They still work pretty good, but isn't as much as it could be without the battery boxes, or with custom sacs that would be taller.

A friend of mine has a 2000 who ordered custom sacs through BoardersParadise.com (bigwake.com). He said he ordered 34"Long x 24"Wide x 21"High. His wake is bigger than mine unless I add another sac to the back seat and/or lead on the floor. He doesn't have my battery problem either so his sacs are bigger and fill all the way.

I use one of the Bullet Ski Lines sacs off Ebay for the center locker and it works good. Buy the biggest sac you can find because our ski locker space is huge. A BigBump sac would work good too.

I have 3 Simer pumps, one for each rear sac, and one for the center locker and the side sac that is above the locker. I put the second side sac on top of the rear seat and fill it the old fashioned way with an aerator pump. Lately I've also been putting some lead on the floor too. More weight the better. Just keep it balanced so the bow isn't up too much, and watch for rollers over the bow.

Also, I took the cover off all my sacs so they can expand whichever way they need to. No puncture problems yet.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-11-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
Yeah, I fully understand your problem with the battery. I moved mine over as far as I could towards the corner also. I have the launch pad rectangular 440's on each side of the engine right now and also 50 lbs of lead on each side. I think I am going to order a custom sack for the ski locker either from bigwake.com or gethighsports.net with the dimensions 68 x 27 x 12. That should completely fill the locker and should hold a lot of weight. How does your friend like the bigwake sacs? Are they very durable?

Also, got a question about your automatic system. Can you run more than one of those simer pumps at a time? I am planning on putting in an automatic system soon with three simer pumps. . .one for each sac. I didn't know if I would be able to run all of them at once though because of how many amps they pull. Thanks for any info you can provide!
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-11-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
Justin,

On my '98 Super Sport I run all three Simer pumps at the same time with no problem. My voltmeter normally reads just above 14V and it doesn't drop much if any with all three pumps on. The other pumps don't slow down either when the third is turned on. I always make sure I turn them on and off one at a time though, because of the current spike.
I use the relay circuits and short 10gauge main power wire runs to keep the resistance and losses low.

My friend has been completely satisfied with his custom sacs and only had one problem. He ordered them to be 24" wide but when he filled them up the first time, he found that they bulged out a little wider than that and were pushing his locker dividers in toward the engine. So he made some extra metal supports for the dividers and everything has been fine. So you might not want to go wider than 23". 68" seems really long but I haven't measure mine, just going by my 51" sac filling up most of the floor space.

Even with a big center locker sac, you'll need another 200lbs or so in the bow to counteract all that rear weight, whether it's another sac, sand, or lead. It actually makes the wake bigger to have it balanced right, eliminates porpoising in wind and chop, and gives you better gas mileage.
The Nautique wake just comes alive once you get over 1800 lbs. Whole different world.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-11-2004, 11:39 AM Reply   
Yeah, I was planning on adding a little more to the fronnt. Maybe a little lead or something. When I measured my ski locker, the dimensions came out to what I have listed above (68 x 27 x 12). I may get the sack a little smaller because I'm sure it will bulge some. But, I want to make sure all the space in my locker gets used. Thanks a lot for all the info!
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-11-2004, 12:12 PM Reply   
2400 pounds in the boat is where its at. 400pds up front, 2000 pounds distributed in the skilocker and rear tanks/ bags. I will get a picture soon of the wake! We had it close to 3000 pounds with four people in the boat and the wake was too steep, had to let water out of the tanks. Not only steep, but massive. If you can find the tige pro locker sack, 900 pds, fits perfect in our ski lockers.
Mike
2001 san
I am considering getting the team edition prop, anyone use this prop on an older san?
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-11-2004, 12:16 PM Reply   
Yeah Mike, I'm still looking for that Tige sack. If you happen to run across one, please let me know. Thanks.

And yes, 2400 lbs. makes an unbelievable wake in a SAN. I ride with a guy sometimes that has between 2200 and 2600 lbs. in his '02 SAN and the wake is rediculous.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-11-2004, 12:19 PM Reply   
Mike,

I was just thinking. . .You got that bag off ebay, right? Do you still have that auction saved in your ebay account? If so, could you look and see who the seller was and give me his screen name. Maybe I could contact him and see if he has any more. Thanks again.
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-11-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
Justin,
I will check my ebay account for the company's name, awesome bag. Under $100.00 if I remember right.
Mike
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-11-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
also bought the 250 pounder vdrive sacks, will hook it up to my simer pump and configure it in the bow. I really dont like having all that lead weight up in the bow when the boat is empty, etc. etc.

Mike
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-11-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
Justin,
bought the bag from extremeliquidation on ebay. They have a store. 89.00 for the 900 pd skilocker sack.
Mike
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-11-2004, 7:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Mike. I emailed them and they wrote back saying that they were sold out. Looks like I'll be getting a custom one.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-13-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
Just ordered a custom sac for the front ski locker from boarders-paradise. I'll let ya know how it works out. They were by far the cheapest with it costing me a total of $104 and that was with 3 ports. They said there is a one year warranty with them, so I figured it was worth a try.

Fl SurfLover,
I noticed above you were questioning the dimensions I had for my ski locker. I think we were talking about two different things. The measurements 68 x 27 x 12 were for my front ski locker that's in the floor of the boat. I think you thought I was talking about the rear lockers beside the engine. Anyways, hopefully this sac doesn't take too long to get. Do you know how long it took your friend to get his from Boarders-Paradise? Thanks.