Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    lachlantait            09-04-2003, 3:26 AM Reply   
How can it be that Dan watkins failed to win the most improved award, this is a young guy that the last 2 years has bearly made it in the top 10 on any tour stop and yet this year was coming first going into the last round (but didnt do well and ended up coming 3rd) but thats not the point. does anyone agree with me?
Up the Aussie

Taity
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-04-2003, 1:06 PM Reply   
Yeah, Watkins and Watson both improved this year. To vote Parks as the most improved? Seems like people voted for Parks either because they like him or they just recognize his name.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
He's not part of Pointless....
Old    mike_mike            09-04-2003, 3:34 PM Reply   
Daniel watkins is like 27
he is one of the oldest ones or atleast on the old end. Parks isnt most improved I would say Chad Sharpe, Shawn Watson or Keith Lyman or Jeff Weatherall

pointless is there group of friends that ride I dont see why that has anything to do with it
Old    doubleupcrow            09-04-2003, 7:54 PM Reply   
The most improved rider has nothing to do with the actual title. People don't really know or keep track of that sort of thing for the most part to even know whos most improved. They just like parks because his name is there and vote parks. (kind of going along with the same reason people buy the parks board, very advanced board, hard to ride, but I have seen many newbie's who go out and buy it). IMO Daniel Watkins should not have won the award, from what I have seen lately he is throwing the same stuff he was two years ago, only his riding has gotten a lot sloppier I think. Take that for what you want, my main point is I don't really think the "most improved rider" is anything close to a real representation.
peace
Derrick
Old    lachlantait            09-05-2003, 3:44 AM Reply   
Really does anyone really take the riders choice awards seriously like i took it semi seriously i voted for only Aussies and when they ran out just chose poeple that i thought had most improved best female... etc etc.
I know alot of people will probably disagree with me but can you honestly say that you follow wakeboarding that much check every stat and can remember tour placings on each city (im sure some crazy wAkers could) but the average John citizen who goes out each weekend probably wouldnt and would only choose the people (or product) they see in all the movies.

Taity
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-05-2003, 8:23 AM Reply   
I voted for Ike.
Old    norcal_99            09-05-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
I voted for Arnold, or maybe is was Larry Flint, or Gary Coleman. I can't remember now.

Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-05-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
By the way, Danny finished in the top ten in two prior years on the pro tour.
Old    kent            09-05-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
Just because daniel is 27 has nothing to do with how improved he is.He has come leaps and bounds in riding between this year and last.
If anything this readers poll is just another showing of how easily influenced people are by hyperlite and things that say parks on them....
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-05-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
I voted for Andrew :-)
Old     (wannagowakin)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-05-2003, 7:24 PM Reply   
so u r saying people only buy parks stuff because they know his name, not because that might be the board they're looking for? but i know some people do buy it for the name
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-05-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
I think that's exactly what he's saying
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-06-2003, 8:31 AM Reply   
I think Watkins and Sharpe improved the most this year.
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-06-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
I voted for Andrew, he is grabbing and tweaking everything lately and is riding better than ever! And he is a really kool down to earth guy, go Andrew!
Old    kent            09-06-2003, 9:10 PM Reply   
It is what im saying. If someone demoed a parks and loved it, thats great. I cant even count how many kids we taught this year that had parks board boots, vest. The problem is not having a parks board, its that these kids are nowhere near advanced enough to be riding that board.