Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BWalt)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-04-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
I've heard of a few people who have built their own 2 tower cable system, and I was hoping to get some more information on it so I could possibly build my own. I remember reading about someone building their own a few years ago and I was wondering if anyone else has done it since then or even considered it. It seems that the build wouldn't cost nearly as much as paying for a new System 2.0 or Rixen lil bro but I am not sure how to go about this project.

It seems fairly simple when you think about it; two towers, connected with cables, add a carrier, a rope, a handle, and a controller and you're golden? But I'm sure it is much more difficult than that. If anyone has any information or ideas on how to do this, it would be much appreciated. What motor would I need to buy? What gears or gear box would I use? What would I use for a controller? And would I need some sort of a computer system controlling it?
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-04-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
typically a 3 phase electric motor is used, no gear box just a lovejoy coupling between motor and pulley, not sure about controller and yes the computer system would be needed, typically the hardest part of the whole build unless your a computer programmer
Old     (mcwake)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-06-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
One very important thing you are forgetting is the VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) that is where most of the cost is eaten up in a System 2.0. Electric motors function very differently than gas motors, but a comparison would be if you car did not have a gas pedal or transmission. Once you started your car it would immediately go to full speed as quick as possible, not brakes, no reverse, no neutral, no variable speed, just off and full speed. That is what the VFD does, it regulates the electricity going to the motor, that is what allows it to have variable speeds on the controller, programmed turn around points, limited top speed, forward and reverse, the ability to have software integrated to the System 2.0, etc.

Without it you have a really high powered electric winch that goes one direction only. When you look at what a VFD that integrates with an electric motor costs, plus having towers and anchors engineered to withstand all the forces being generated you really aren't going to save much or anything at all.

If you want a price breakdown on System 2.0 email me at jordan@sesitecusa.com I run sales for North America and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and I also have some resources that would prove beneficial in setting up your park.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-07-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
We just got our local cables strung up and ready for shred. These were built and work like a dream. Unfortunately this video only shows the rail side. We were working on the 2nd cable with all the booters.

from Tarek Richey on Vimeo.

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-07-2013, 8:55 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788448

here is a thread about the little cable park at Antelope Point Marina on Lake Powell, near Page Arizona.
The park was engineered by the employees there and is very much home grown.
I don't have any info on it other than pictures in the thread.
The Antelope Point wake park is unique in that it is possibly the first and only cable that operates on a large body of water that is prone to major lake elevation changes.

The park has been open for a couple of years and there are still a few kinks that have to be worked out at times. There is definitely a lot more to this simple idea than meets the eye for sure. Also you need to consider what you will do when parts break. If you have a home grown system, then you will be making the replacement parts too in many cases.
Old     (BWalt)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-10-2013, 9:42 AM Reply   
Thanks so much for all the help. It definitely seems a lot harder than i thought but it is still doable. Do yall know how much it cost the people at lake powell or the wake central park?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-11-2013, 3:05 PM Reply   
i might do some digging and ask the people at antelope.