Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-11-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a 7-blade to 5-flat coiled wiring harness to go from my truck to my boat, but I'm having a hard time finding one that I like (the selection seems very limited). They're pretty trick, and I want one!! Here's an example (this is the one from Overton's):

Upload

The Overton's one is actually perfect, but they estimate delivery 10 days from now and I need it in a week (unless I want to pay like $20 2nd day air)

I've only found 2 other ones online:

1) Hoppy brand "nite glow" which I don't want.

2) Blue one which I don't want

You would think someone else would carry these things, and that there would be just a plain black one!!

Anybody know of some other website where I can find this thing? I've looked at a CampingWorld store who had something similar but it was only the small 6 round style and was an entire kit. I feel like there has got to be some other sweet towing-superstore type of website, but I haven't been able to find it!!

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks,
Danny
Old     (dpolen)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-12-2009, 4:58 AM Reply   
I think I got mine at Walmart several years ago...they are pretty cool. I'd bet they might have them a local auto shop or trailer store.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-12-2009, 5:27 AM Reply   
Like Doug said. Try WalMart first. I think I saw one in ours just the other day. I have also bought one from O'Reily's or some other chain auto store.
Old     (tazz3069)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-12-2009, 5:49 AM Reply   
I went to West Marine and bought mine. you could also go to their web site at www.westmarine.com

(Message edited by tazz3069 on June 12, 2009)
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-12-2009, 6:46 AM Reply   
I've used thos before, in fact i have one here now. I was going to adapt to my trailer but just got lazy. They are made by Jet Connex and sold at trailer shops, PEP Boys and a few others.

http://www.jetconnex.com/
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-12-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! At least I know the name of the manufacturer now, that helps.

Mark, I checked out Westmarine, and they have some of them on clearance for only $15! In the 3' extended length, unfortunately, they only have red ($14.66) and blue ($65.99). I'd really prefer black or yellow. I checked e-bay, but no luck.

Are people using the 3' extended length of the 6'? I'd imagine the 6' is a bit long for a standard truck/boat trailer application, but I don't know how tightly these things coil.

I'll check the local WalMart and auto parts stores and then maybe just have to order a red one or pay the 2nd day air from Overton's.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-12-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
I've only used the 3', these things stretch pretty far and you def don't want it hanging down.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-12-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
Cool, that's what I thought. I'm actually considering buying the 5 round trailer receptacle and flush mounting it and getting super high tech. I don't really know why, considering my trailer looks like hell anyway, but while I'm there...
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-12-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Here's the one i did one the last trailer. I put the permanent socket connector on the trailer, worked well. I was testing the connection and lights in the one pic & the connector socket in the other, only ones i have.

Upload
Upload
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-12-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
Hell yeah that's what I'm talking about. That looks freakin' nice man.

I just think it's better to go to the round socket because a flat could just separate. I imagine the coil transmits quite a bit of tension before/while the coils are pulling to allow turns, etc. It would suck for it to come unplugged.

Is that socket the one from Jet Connex also? What did you use to cut into your trailer? Hole saw would probably give a nice result. Granted, the hole hides with the flanges of the socket, but still.

Danny
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
Somewhere along the way I aquired a red 5 round to 7 round Jet Connex adapter. I ran across it a few days ago in my garage & have been thinking about installing it on my Extreme Trailer. I have a pair of Border collies who have eaten the trailer wiring once or twice so it would be nice to be able to remove it altogether.

But my biggest concern is getting that big hole for the 5 round receptacle drilled in the trailer tongue. I assume it's like 5/8" or 3/4"? Dam, I'm gonna need to find a drill with some horsepower to do that.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-12-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
Haha, yeah Bill, my thoughts exactly!! Some horsepower and a fresh cutter!!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-12-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Danny, Yeah it's the Jet Connex socket and the harness will not pull out even under stress, it locks in just like the 7 pin connector does on your truck. It's reinforced to not break the internal wires.

I used a metal hole saw and kept spraying WD-40 as i cut, it wasn't bad just makes a mess. The only thing you really have to remember is if you have a swing away tongue leave enough enough wire slack tucked away for it swing. Oh yeah the socket is plastic so just tighten to the trailer until flush so you don't crack the base. Use self taping metal screws with washers under the head. I don't remember if it comes with them or not.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-12-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
Believe it or not i used my Ryobi 18v cordless drill to power through! The metal hole saw does all the work using just a bit of pressure. Well at least it did for me
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Wow, good to know, Razz. Maybe I'll give that a shot this weekend. Thanks.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-23-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
I got all the stuff for this and got started. Figured out where I wanted it, got a pilot hole going. Unfortunately my hole saw must be a piece 'o poo cuz it started egging out a bit. I stopped while I was ahead. I have to go through 2 thicknesses of material, so maybe it's just too much. I'm gonna pick up one of the conical speed bits that goes up to 1 1/8" and give that a shot. I just didn't want to end up with a terrible hole. I'll post my results here.

Danny
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
Okay I finished this up and it came out great. I don't know why all trailers don't come like this. The JetConnex products are really nice. Very pleased with the setup. Reasonably priced as well. I ended up getting the wiring and socket from http://www.oceanequipment.com. Honestly, the flat plugs are pretty clapped out. If only the rest of my trailer wasn't so crappy! The past couple days I also had to re-make the fender skirts because they were falling apart.

Ran into a couple complications. Lessons learned:

1) Don't get in a hurry and snap your drill bit and ram your trailer with the drill, scratching the paint (d'oh!!). It doesn't look too terrible though. It matches all the other scratches...

2) After getting pissed about item #1, don't get flustered and snap off a bolt in the hole you drilled. Also, don't be a dumba$$ and use a self tapping stainless screw in 1/2" thick material. I don't know what I was thinking. I ended up drilling out the broken screw for like 3 hours so I could save the hole without screwing it up and making the socket mount crooked. Then I tapped the holes for #10-24 socket cap stainless bolts which look super clean.

Switched to the uni-bit after the hole saw didn't work very well
Upload

Success!!
Upload

Finished hole
Upload

Tapping holes
Upload

Completed socket
Upload

Splicing wires
Upload