Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
I received this message through someone who just signed up with WW.

What the heck is this about?

Hello dear Greetings to you ,My name is miss Karen, i read about you in this site and i decide to communicate with you and it will please me if you will be my friend, i wish if you will respond to my mail box(karen_b82@yahoo.in) so that i will tell you more about my self and also send you my picture for you to know who i am, i hope to hear from you. yours Karen write me here email at (karen_b82@yahoo.in)
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-17-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Karen wants you....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-17-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
spam bots
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-17-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
Yep. Got the same message.

delete.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-17-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
spam bots
NO NO NO NO NO. It is a horny chick in Bulgaria that saw your Facebook pic and wants a piece.

Come on you KNOW that kind of stuff happens!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-17-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
what the hell...how come I didn't get a message. Maybe I need a more seductive profile pic
Old    aXtion            03-17-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
yea I received a similar message and just deleted it. It would be nice to have a 'Report message' feature where it would send it to the admins so they can remove the user.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-17-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
It's spam and you can flag it as such in your mailbox in order to bring it to my attention. Posting it on the discussion board really doesn't do anything other than spread the spam further.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-17-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Just click on the person's name and it will bring up their profile. Then you'll see options to either ban that person from PMing you again and/or report that person to me. Your help is appreciated so that we can limit this kind of crap.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-17-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
I got a similair PM. I reported it to the site. I have alos got the same type thing on another site this week, guess the spammers ahve figured out that they cant get their posts through on most message boards anymore so they have switched tactics.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
I only posted it to see if anyone else was receiving them. I also did what you mentioned about flagging the person.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-18-2010, 6:40 AM Reply   
Got it too. SPAM for sure
Old     (gdavid)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-19-2010, 5:11 AM Reply   
I'm sorry to hear that your girl is a scam but I'm certain that her sister Kate is real. I've already sent her my credit card, social security, and all banking account numbers. Hoping to hear back soon

"Hello my dear.
My name is kate, i saw your profile today and i became intrested so please i will like you to send email back through my email address:
(kate_aliyu@hotmail.com). pls i will like you to send me your email address so that i will tell you more about my self and also my picture you to know who i am .hope you understand.thanks.And i will like you to contact me trough my email adress(kate_aliyu@hotmail.com)
Am waiting to see your lovely reply soonest.
Miss kate."
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-19-2010, 5:33 AM Reply   
I got the one from "Kate" today......reported it to David
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       03-19-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4gill2 View Post
I got the one from "Kate" today......reported it to David
Me Too.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-19-2010, 6:21 PM Reply   
Mann.... how come strange girls never write me letters wanting to meet me?

Judging by the grammar, I would guess it's a hook to get you to reply, followed shortly by a sob story and a request for money........

Good luck!
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-19-2010, 9:44 PM Reply   
Paul......your a chick magnet!!!!!

Its sometimes hard to determine if they are really about you or just the size of your wake!!!!!
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-20-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Jim, I don't mind being used, as long as it's a two way street. NIce to know I still got it.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-21-2010, 6:01 PM Reply   
got the same message, but how do they get our names for our message box on here?
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-21-2010, 7:20 PM Reply   
Kate is obviously a whore
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-22-2010, 6:29 AM Reply   
^^^^NO SHE'S NOT!! She's the daughter of King Aku Uka of Wukari, and we're getting married, once I can get her out of her Nigeria.

Edited: Sorry Ricardo, I thought you were talking about Karen.

Last edited by pnichols; 03-22-2010 at 6:31 AM.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-22-2010, 7:38 AM Reply   
I had them both,at the same time......................................emailing me.

What did you think?

Get your mind outta d guttah!
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-22-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
I got same message!

Karen is actually a really cool chick. She seems nice. She is located over seas and has a little family trouble. I have contacted her through email and I have helped out her and her family in their difficult times. I just had to send some money to a bank account overseas. I have only made three deposits and we remain good friends via email.

Last edited by sammm724centurion; 03-22-2010 at 9:47 AM. Reason: more info
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-22-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
BTW, I was just kidding about sending money!

but I did get the message...

it's gotta be a scam!
Old     (rbrandon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-22-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
Yeah my cyber chick was Kate! Too bad that HO got the delete.. lol
Old     (rbrandon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-22-2010, 8:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_z View Post
Paul......your a chick magnet!!!!!

Its sometimes hard to determine if they are really about you or just the size of your wake!!!!!
Too Funny lol
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-23-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
First that crap from Kate and just now this crap:

Nawal Jafar
4:33 PM March 23, 2010
Hello dear new friend,
How are you today? I hope you are fine.
My name is Nawal,I am kind, flexible, responsible, curious, easy-going, romantic and sensual. I prefer active way of life style. My dream is to spend time and share life with a partner, who will be my lover and friend,if you're interested with my proposal here is my email address (nawaljafar@hotmail.com) I will be waiting for your email.

I'm going to have to use one of my bogus emails to email back to this person. We'll see what happens.

And 'Nawal'. What the heck kind of name is that?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-23-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
Remember, you can go into your settings and make your profile private to just you and your friends if you want to avoid this kind of thing. We're working on some fixes on our end as well.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-24-2010, 5:37 AM Reply   
I've gotten three spammer messages so far. David does the software allow for a bot test at registration? I cant remember if there is already one or not. Not a whole lot you can do about "real" spammers other than requiring admin aproval for first posts / messages.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-24-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
That's what we're working on now. It does have that feature, but it's not working right. As soon as we get it working right, we'll require that people enter a validation code when they register.
Old     (sammm724centurion)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-24-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Remember, you can go into your settings and make your profile private to just you and your friends if you want to avoid this kind of thing. We're working on some fixes on our end as well.

My profile is set to private and I still got two messages from these "bots". You can still send a message to a person even if they are not your friend.

Thanks for working on it!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-24-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Now we require verification when a user registers. We'll see if that helps.