Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (vdriverider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-05-2008, 10:27 PM Reply   
I'd like to plan a trip out to New Melones this month and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which campsites are good, how the lake is, just overall opinions if you will? I have never camped here before but I hear the water has not dropped so much and that this lake does not rely on rain water to fill.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-05-2008, 11:56 PM Reply   
Its low you'll be taking your boat out every night. I like Melones. Good riding on the Tuttletown side. Mormon cove is usually good. Should be lonely out there
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-06-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Water level is low. We did a 4 day stay there 2 weeks ago. Right now its roughly 110 feet down from capacity. Still plenty of deep water though. I recommend camping on the Tuttletown side. I feel that there is more shade. We left our boat in the water the whole time with no problems. I love that lake.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (vdriverider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I was gonna book for Glory Hole but looks like Tuttletown might be better.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-06-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
I have stayed at glory hole not tuttle town. I like glory hole but once again never been to tuttle town. One thing is the level is low and alot of the spots I rode last year there is too many tree's sticking up to get too. One thing you gotta do is hike to natural bridges and check out the cave its awesome. Bathrooms are clean, and campsites are cool but take your own shade.
Old     (noel_peterson)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-07-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
Big Les, just got back from a week at Melones. The last pic that Cory posted is the hike you will encounter on the Tuttletown side. That toyhauler you see is at site 116. It is the closest site to the water. #'s 118, 111,116, 109 are all good also. 115 is non-reservable but nice also. We measured over 275 feet deep last week by the bridge. Do your legs a favor, make the hike, it is well worth it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-07-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
"Should be lonely out there "

Lonely at Melones? I stopped going because the lake is always slammed. I gave up.

Maybe during the week.
Old     (vdriverider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-07-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
Cory, thanks for the pics, I hope the lake is just as beautiful when I am there.

Noel, unfortunately all of those sites were already booked so we'll be at 88 and 89. So how do the walk in sites work? From the pics on the New Melones website these are awesome sites, given those pics were probably taken during the lakes fullest capacity.
Old     (noel_peterson)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
Big Les- Yes your right about the capacity and the pics. The sites in the 80's are farther than the 90's and 100's but once you get on the water it's all good. We got there last monday a.m. and saw maybe 3-4 boats a day until thursday and they were all fishermen. Every campsite was open until then also. If you can't get a reservation try to get there by Thurs. #115 has lots of trees and one of the closest to the lake, great view of lake and sunset. During your stay I suggest making a trip around the campsite and making notes about the campsites, it'll help the next time you stay. Have fun
Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       07-10-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
Do they have RV hook ups. I read they do not but I see RVs in the pictures above.
Old     (sloboat)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-14-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
We are renting a houseboat there next week. How is the smoke? Doesn't look bad in those pics.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-15-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
I was there last week. The Paradise Fire really choked up the place Wed and Thurs night. The water was beautiful between 7-10 and 6-9. Good Times!

You can call Glory Hole and ask them for an update.
Old     (sloboat)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-16-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
OK thanks. I'll give them a call. This is our 9th year. Love it there. During the week we only see a few boats a day. Weekends...another story!