Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (zam)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-08-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
I have a boat that won't take a pylon or a tower.. the only way, but it creates a pretty nice wake.. the best i'll ever be able to do is tie to a cleat on the back of the boat.

What tricks are within a reasonable realm for the non-tower/pylon wakeboarder?

This guy seems to be rocking pretty well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6awF699Xp-Y

I have an O'Brien Diesel 141... and I'm just getting started.. what kinds of things should I shoot for.. what's possible?

As I'm watching my "the book" instructional DVD's.. is there any adjustments that I'll need to make in a no-elevated rope environment?
Old     (fijidaniel)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
I learned and rode behind a 21 foot I/O for years. Start riding switch, work on your 180s toeside jumps, etc. Get all the basics down. i say that because we didn't have a decent wake!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
any time i go behind a PWC

The rope length almost always ends up being the same distance as the rooster tail comming out the back of the PWC. at first i thought it was kinda cool, but having water hitting you in the face every time you cross the wake kinda stinks
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-08-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
i also had a similar start as Daniel, but was only without a pylon for the first year or two.

it was an I/O 1970something Glasstron

In what way CANT your boat take a pylon or tower?

In order to install the one in my dad's older boat we had to put a block of wood under the fiberglass of the wall of the boat, inserted from the hallow opening for life jackets skis and stuff. we replaced the screws it came with so they could go through the fiberglass and the wood block.

maybe something like this will work?

I have seen some pretty ghetto setups that all actually work pretty well
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-08-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
I learned almost everything I know today, including spins and inverts, behind a 17' whaler with no pylon. Towers help, but in no way should you let the lack of a tower limit your thinking or learning... just get out, have fun and keep trying.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
hey, zam
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-08-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
ok i ride behind a 16' john boat with a 45 horse power motor.. Its been said by the paper that "it barely has enough strength to pull riders out of the water" but in are opinion the boat is a beast. Hence the reason we named it THE BEAST. It is the perfect boat for screwin around on with freestyle tricks on the roam and trying to go all out when combining our 3 inch tall wake with that of a real wakeboard boat and nailing huge doulble ups. It seriously is the perfect stepping stone to learning any trick or musturing up balls to go big on the bigger boats before you actually ride them. Some of the tricks that have been thrown down on the beast are hs/ts 360s and switch or normal hs bs 180s. Other than that there is not enough air off of the normal wake to do anything hahahaha. The sad part is we get more air olling and pulling off oliie tricks than we actually do behind the wake itself but its still alot of fun, especially since its only like $16 for about 3 sessions each for 4 people!!
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
I've been doing it for years now man. A pull is a pull. I wouldn't turn one down even if it was behind a rowboat.
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       02-08-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
ive been riding behind a wake boat for a few years now and thats where i learned all my tricks....but i have some friends with jet-skis that i board behind sometime and i can do tantrums, 180s, and 360s behind them....it wouldn't be easy at all to learn these tricks behind a jetski but it is possible to do tricks behind....so behind a boat with a low rope you should be fine