Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand....

Exploring another great lake in Kansas, I ran into some unfortunately placed stone. PS: KS sucks, take me back to Kentucky Lake where we dont have trees, contrete obstructions, and random unmarked shallow waters in our lakes.

:[

Upload
Upload

I took the 'bu to B & B Marine to find out the damage. What are the chances that its just the prop? :\
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-18-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
How fast did you hit it? Were you really close to the shoreline to hit a stone?
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-18-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
If its a stainless prop, there will be more damage to the transmission and other parts because it won't flex/bend/chip and the shock of hitting an object will affect more things. If the prop is of another, softer metal, the prop will take more of the beating, in turn having less drastic negative effects on the transmission.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-18-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
that doesn't look that bad I would say just the prop needs to be fixed or replaced.
Did you hit it going in reverse?
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-18-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
i just went thru similar ordeal. all u can do is get a new prop or get yours repaired( always should have xtra prop) and run it. if u have significant vibration, u will need to get maybe a new strut, drive shaft, also get trans-shaft alingment checked,there are tolerances for each set up that need to be within range. i just had shaft,strut,prop and transmission replaced thursday, all better now. change prop 1st and test, hope that is all the problem is. i get my prop work done be delta propeller, cincy area. ask for gary or www.deltaprop.com
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
I'm with Brian on this one, keep a extra one on hand, they can be swapped out in just a few minutes.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-18-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
What lake were you on? I've been boating with tournament boats in many Kansas lakes for 15+ years and we've never hit anything. We've hit a lot more random stuff at Table Rock where the water depth is 5+ times what normal Kansas lakes are than we ever have here.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2006, 6:30 AM Reply   
So I'm feeling better about this whole situation... Thanks guys.

When I dropped it off, the dealer kind of said it could be bad. I had some pretty significant vibration when trying to get it back to shore - but I think its obvious why that was occuring.

Stan: As soon as I heard that god forsaken noise, I thru it in reverse in attempts to get it in neutral, so yes, It was in reverse for like 2 /10ths of a second. I felt so stupid for doing that - but it was my first natural instinct.

Randy: I was what I would consider almost idling. I was about 25 yards away from the shoreline and within 10 yards of a series of boats.

Nick: Your right, I shouldn't blame the KS lakes -- I'm just new here and I dont know the lakes yet. I'm originally from Kentucky Lake / Lake Barkley and I know every square inch of those lakes and where is safe to go and where is not... I was just frustrated and irratable when I posted :\

So did I eff up by taking to the dealer? I have a feeling they now have me by the gonads.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-19-2006, 6:43 AM Reply   
I had that happen before to our old boat. Not more than idling. Pulled the prop, had it repaired and balanced and all was good. Cost around $125. Hopefully you'll come out as cheap.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2006, 6:50 AM Reply   
You can repair something like that? wow. Totally unaware...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-19-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
No Clayton, Ks lakes do suck.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-19-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Clayton what lake were you on?
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
Clinton.

Dealer just called me, said that the rudder and rudderbox were shoved up when it hit and they would need to be replaced as well -- is this typical of senario described. I do have a noticable chip on fiberglas near the rudder...
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
Very unfortunate but look at it this way, you can get rid of your 3 blade now and put a 4 bladed prop on.Repair that one and keep it as a spare.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-19-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
haha, thanks for making me feel better :-)
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-19-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
Clayton my rudder port was bent as well so that may not be out of order.Always ask to see any parts replaced ect.. so to be sure and go by and see how repair is going if possible. That should take care of any doubts. U can get the prop repaired, call Delta or send to them, Gary has always been honest to deal with. Hope this does not keep you off the water long.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-20-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
clayton: yes you are right, Kansas lakes do suck!
We boat primarily way out west at Cedar Bluff, and it's FULL of trees-most of them just under the waterline.
Since you're close to Lawrence, I hear that Pomona Lake and Council Grove reservoir are both great lakes. I know of a guy that drives clear from Wichita to go boarding at Council Grove-not much traffic and he says they can board just about any time.
If all this is true 9haven't checked out either one-yet) don't tell anyone, but get back to me. Good lakes in KS with light traffic are hard to find-keep it a secret!
Old     (djustice)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-20-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
We did the same thing as you, new boat on unfamiliar lake. Picked up the boat from the dealer and took it to the nearest lake to test it out, we were taking it back to the dealer because the tower speakers werent in yet,the only difference was, we were two hundred yards from the bank when we hit bottom, had to have been a boulder because we were at no wake speed. Ruined the prop, bent the strut and bent the rudder, also left spider cracks in the gelcoat, all of this with only 3 hours on the boat. Cost $3500 to fix everything with the gelcoat fix being the most expensive. All covered by insurance. Now the boat stays at our cabin on kentucky lake (south of I-40), only thing we have to worry about now is floating debri which rarely is a problem unless there have been recent storms.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-20-2006, 1:21 PM Reply   
Brian: thanks for the info - I'll try and stay in the loop of what is going on there at my dealership (good idea).

John, I've never heard of Pomona or Council Grove - I'll google map and find out how close I am to them! Thanks for the secret!

Dick,
Kentucky Lake is a weird lake - I never see any wakeboard boats there... When I trailer mine back home, I feel like a real stud cause i'm the only person with a tower and speakers! :-)

(ps: Originally from Murray, ky / Lake Barkley / Kentucky Lake - I've been to jackson tn many times).
Old     (djustice)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-21-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
Where we are, you rarely see any wake specific boats. There are a few I/O with towers and some MC 205/197s. There's also an X-star that makes an appearance every once in a while, but usually its just our VLX and my friends Outback. I saw something that I thought was interesting not to long ago, I was on some backroads out in the middle of nowhere and in front of a modest house was a MC X-80. I thought it was an X-star until I got closer and realized how big it was.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-21-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Clinton is absolutely horrible. Probably one of the worst lakes in Kansas.

I'm not sure where you are in KC, but Pomona is probably the nicest lake in Kansas as far as ridability and lack of obstructions in the water. The lake is pretty deep for the most part and has no trees in the main bodies of the lake. I haven't been to Pomona is 2+ years, but at least in the late 90's, you would see a lot of other inboard boats and that was probably the most popular riding spot in Kansas. Council Grove is ok, but it's really windy out that way and there are shallow spots as well. Also try Melvern, it's just about 10 miles west of Pomona and like the 3rd largest lake in Kansas. Also, take a trip out west some weekend and hit Milford, about an hour west of Topeka outside of Junction City. It's the largest and probably one of the cleanest lakes in Kansas. You can get great water out there, especially later in the summer when the wind dies down, then you could head back east about 10 miles to Tuttle Creek outside Manhattan. I know some ok spots there from my college days.

I would definately start hitting up Pomona though, it's a quick shot down I-35 to Ottawa and then about 20 minutes from there. I think you could be in the water at Pomona in about an hour from the JoCo burbs.