Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
So after totaling my Armada a month ago I have just purchased a 2011 Chevy Avalanche LTZ. I am going to do the stealth box with 2 JL 12W3's and just wondering what I should look for in a amp to power them. Also I think I am going to need a amp for the stock speakers as well as they are not that loud. Any help on what to look for will be greatly appreciated or, anyone with a avalanche who has gone though this and has tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Old     (LYNRDSKYNRD)      Join Date: Sep 2012       05-08-2013, 7:22 AM Reply   
Subscribed....I have an Avy and have been considering a stereo upgrade too.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-08-2013, 8:08 AM Reply   
Have you upgraded the radio? Without that, adding subs is a waste. The Blose system in there turns the bass down as the volume goes up. That's why it sounds weak at louder levels.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-08-2013, 10:56 AM Reply   
You can fix the factory source unit bass issue with a JL Audio Clean Sweep using an external volume control, an Audison Bit processor with an external volume control or the Audio Control LC8i with AccuBASS which allows the use of the factory volume control.
For two 12W3s I would use the JL Audio HD750/1, or the new JL XD1000/1 (in stock now and tough to beat) if into a 2-ohm load, or the JL HD1200/1 at the absolute max.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2013, 12:48 PM Reply   
Thank you for the response/help David.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-09-2013, 12:28 AM Reply   
I have a 2007 Avalanche with one of the JL 13TW5 in a shallow fiberglass box that goes in front of the midgate attached by the window hold downs. The remainder of the system is factory Bose. Running an iPhone dock connector into the Aux port does not provide enough gain so I use an Fiio headphone amp to raise the input gains to adequate levels and the stock amp pushes the system pretty well. As David mentions the Bose sub loudness EQ is somewhat annoying but I just use a remote gain on the sub to turn it down at lower levels and up at higher levels to compensate for the Bose sub gain issue. You will also need to disconnect the factory sub to use those inputs if you keep the factory head unit as the factory sub has an anti-clipping circuit that gets confused if you add an amp to the load. The factory sub wires are accessible if you remove the little tray under the cupholders in the console. Originally I was using a JL 500/1v2 on the sub but I could not get enough gain control on the JL so I moved to a Kicker 500 watt amp and it does just fine for my needs. You can go crazy in the Avy but I kept mine pretty simple. It still gets loud enough to make my ears ring if I turn it up on long drives so I need to pay attention to volume creep.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2013, 9:42 AM Reply   
Yeah I went a little overboard. Doing Alpine 8"'s (can't believe they sound cleaner than the jl's and are $200 cheaper) in the front and back with Alpine amps and doing a line driver as well so I don't have the volume issues.