Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-13-2008, 2:57 PM Reply   
My son was returning from Miami to Atlanta Saturday and was forced to pay $80 to carry his wakeboard bag. He told the agent it was a water ski as we have been advised to do and has worked numerous times, it worked going down on Wednesday. The agent in Miami said water skis are no longer allowed as free baggage. Asking for a supervisor did no good. It was either pay the money, leave the board or you're not getting on this flight.

I looked at the Delta website and Water skis are not mentioned anywhere. Snow Ski's and Snowboards are still allowed. Golf bags are allowed if under 50 pounds.

Delta has also announced that effective May 1st you are only allowed one free bag, second bag will be $25 and 3rd thru 5th will be $80 each.

Looks like its time to find a golf bag the board will fit in.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-13-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Just tell them it's a snowboard.

-Steve
Old     (nevada_champ)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-13-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Don't tell them it's wakeboard. I had to fly from Reno, NV to Baton Rouge, Lousiana for INT nationals and we told them it was skis. Avoid the word board. they usually fall for it.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-13-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
just write on the board bag "golf clubs". there is a company that sells them. but i have never had someone check inside the bag
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
When I flew my board last, I told them it was a snowboard to avoid a charge. Snowboard and skis are free to encourage that travel. Surfboards bring a $ charge. Wakeboards had no policy at that time.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
slingshot makes a "pro tour" travel bag for your wakeboards, we just bought one because of that fee for traveling to florida.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-13-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
I flew Airtran out of Orlando to Milwaukee and was only hassled for the weight and how large it was. Didn't have to pay a fee or anything.
Old     (btr1)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-13-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Not sure on the sizes but here are some "golf" bags that are made for kiteboards so wakeboards should work http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/Bags;jsessionid=0a0002491f4312b48698611945d88d61dc bf6a12cfec.e3eTaxmKbNaNe3mNe0
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-13-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
Continental did the same thing to me a few years back. I no longer fly Continental. Now that I know this, Delta is off the team too...

Air Tahiti Nui was great, no extra charge. You kinda have to go to French Polynesia though (any day!)...

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on April 13, 2008)
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2008, 2:11 AM Reply   
The Ronix board bags I've seen have "Ronix Golf" printed on them for this reason. Although I believe they were all prototypes, I'm not sure if that carried through to production or not.

Sneaky-sneaky
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-14-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
The airline industry is making alot of changes....you probably won't even be able to bring golf clubs on board w/o being charged extra. Just by shedding a 100 pounds off each plane, the large airlines save millions in fuel costs over the year. I think all the major airlines will have a one bag rule on all flights starting very shortly.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-14-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
^^^

So true unfortunately.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-14-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
I wonder if they will be able to ban golf bags, just think who the "majority" of people who play golf is...... ? ... ?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-14-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
best kiteboarding sells a board bag that is disguised as a golf bag. I got it for christmas and have never been charged on delta or continental. It fits in the size requirements too. holds 3 boards and all your gear easily.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-14-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
Delta's website says effective May 1st golf bags will be free if it the only checked bag and will cost $25 if it is the second bag, $80 if the 3rd bag.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-14-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
steve, nothing will be banned, you'll just be getting charged extra....if your going to play golf on vacation an extra $25 at the gate shoudlnt' be breakign your bank.

From the same article...actually on a plane, they said by removing the mass of magazines usually found on airplane seats, saved american airlines, 3 million dollars in fuel costs over the year.
they broke down how much these flights actually make the airlines...I was shokced to see american airlines was making a couple HUNDRED dollars per flight.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-14-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
I second the Slingshot wakeboard bag "pro Golf tour" bag. (f.y.i.I have never taken a board on a flight though)http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/L8btN

Just tell them it is your golf bag, and you wont even be lying. if they ask what is in it, say "golf gear" and your still not lying really, since GOLF is an acronym for "ladies forbidden gentlemen only"... well maybe that is a stretch and kinda silly...

ironically enough, there is a company or style of golf clubs that are called "slingshot" (i don't golf, i just found out about this tid bit while doing google searches)
Old     (jcas)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-15-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
ladies are never forbidden when i go wakeboarding my man. The more bun in bikinis the better I ride...
Old     (boarderkruer)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-15-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Yea, NWA charges $25 for a second bag. I just came back from Orlando on Delta and the agent asked what was in the bag, I told him wakeboard. He stared at it along time and then decided it would be easier to pick on my suit case. He measured it and said it was 68 linear inches and Delta's size limit is 62 linear inches. I travel all the time with this suit case and it had never been a problem before!!! His responce was "well you have been lucky." He also said if it weighs over 50 opounds that there is an additional $80 on top of the $150 I had to pay for the over size suitcase. In January I flew to Denver on Frontier airlines. They wanted to charge me extra $$$ for my Snowboard bag because it was overweight. The agent was sympathetic and allowed me to check 3 bags for free as they have an exception to check in a "boot bag" as the 3rd bag for free when you have a "ski" bag.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-15-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
A sympathetic Frontier counter attendant and now they're bankrupt, and all because of you
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-16-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
What do the airlines do if the wakeboard bag is the only bag you check on? Do they still charge more money because of it simply being on the "list" of items that have extra charges? I'm flying to TSR this summer on United and I looked on their website. Snowboards are allowed but wakeboards aren't. I think it might be tough to tell them its a snowboard when I'm flying from San Jose to Texas in July.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-16-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
just become a platinum medallion member and they don't hassle you about anything. haha