Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-07-2011, 4:35 AM Reply   
I'm going to be demoing an X25 this afternoon, and am wondering the best way to weight this boat (in addition to stock ballast)?
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-07-2011, 5:44 AM Reply   
we have a star and i know the hull is different, but we ride with about 550-600 in the back lockers and probably 900 up front. hope this helps.
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-07-2011, 6:28 AM Reply   
The factory ballast wakeboard wake is BIG! Unless you are really good you wont need anything extra.
For surf, factory port and kgb full, 450# in rear locker, 370# under observer was really good. Start tweaking it from there.
Awesome boat. I want one bad! Have fun
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-07-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
You dont need extra weight. I rode behind one last week with stock ballast and 3 guys in the boat. It was phenomenal!
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2011, 6:59 AM Reply   
The stock wake is very good, one of the biggest and best out there. I was shocked the first time I got behind one.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-07-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
Just curious as to why MC doesn't make the new star on the 25 hull, just bigger. If the stock wake is so big and nice, when you weight it out its only gonna get bigger ha. I've never ridden behind one but id love to!!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-07-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
I'm not at all concerned with the surf wake, just with straight wakeboarding. I'm no pro, but I've got a decent bag of tricks (handful of inverts, 360s, 540s, raley, hoochie, batwing, bs spins, now trying to get the balls to try 7's).

I've heard that stock wake is good, but I want to see just how great the wake can get. I will never ride just stock ballast. For reference, our current ride is a 2011 SAN 230 with about 5500 lbs of ballast, so I'm going to be looking to get it atleast as big/hard as my current wake. My previous ride was a 2000 XStar with about 4300 pounds of ballast. I'd rather not spend a lot of time playing around trying different positions for the ballast. Hopefully someone can chime in with how to maximize the wake.

Does it like rear weight, nose weight, a 50/50 split? Thanks!
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-07-2011, 8:50 AM Reply   
I would go 50/50 on it and if you have 4 guys or more, then you will be closer to 40/60 which is perfect. The only down fall of the 25 is there isn't much room upfront under the seats for weight. Might have to go lead once you buy it or put a sac in the walkway.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-07-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Jay, try it stock and if you cant do all your tricks I will retract my statement. You really have to ride behind it to believe! I'm sure its bigger with another 2k, just balance it out 50/50 and I'm sure you will be happy.

PS. Get out your checkbook because you are about to fall in love
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-07-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Jason, thanks for the tip. I'll just throw my bow triangle up on top of the seats...we never sit up there.

I'm definitely going to try it stock, and I'm sure I can do all of my tricks with both setups (stock and slammed). There just something about blasting a huge Stalefish off of a gigantic wake, and when you land all you can do is smile and think "that thing is amazing" ...that's what I'm hoping to find. I'll role with a 50/50 split and see what it's like. I'll try to get some video of both stock and slammed, as I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there who have the same questions as me. I've been waiting to ride this thing for about a year now...can't wait! Off we go!
Old     (AllianceBJJ)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-07-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
So why are you getting rid of the 230?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-07-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllianceBJJ View Post
So why are you getting rid of the 230?
Colin Ryans demo boat.. Thing is glorious!

Stoked to get out behind your X25 Mr. Fogelson.. You'll buy it - I can bet on it.
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-07-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
I have it set up with stock ballast + 450 in each rear locker and 250 wedge sacs under each front seat. More wake than I will ever need and I usually just ride with the stock tanks.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-08-2011, 4:58 AM Reply   
Well, I can say that it's a really nice boat, however, the wake just wasn't what I was hoping for. Don't get me wrong, it's a good wake, just not my cup o tea. I was hoping for a bit more height and beefiness to it. I didn't do any riding with just stock ballast either, figured if I wasn't happy with the extra ballast that there was no point in trying just stock.

Here is the setup we ran.
*Stock Rear tanks
*400 on top of each rear tank
*400 on the rear cabin floor
*375 on top of the rear seat
*Stock belly (400 I believe?)
*400 on the very front of bow walkway floor
*400 on top of the bow seats
*100 in lead under the very front bow seat
*2 people (basically 300 pounds in the middle of the boat (the bow is pretty short that I'd consider the driver and observer seat to be in the front half of the boat).

I did try moving the 375 pound sac from the rear seat up into the middle of the cockpit, but thought the wake got worse.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-08-2011, 5:24 AM Reply   
Forgot to say that, yes, I could still do all my tricks Can't wait to see what the new XStar brings to the table!
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-08-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
I would also weight the X25 50/50. It has a great shape and just evenly sinking the boat gives a nice wake. With about 1000lbs of people on top of the stock ballast (800 I believe) the wake on the X-25 was quite similar to the wake on my X-star with 3000 lbs of ballast, just slightly narrower and steeper.