Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    swass            05-09-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
...and my boat is still dry. We were gonna go Sunday...but the weather sucked. We were gonna go yesterday...but the weather sucked.

I have a six year old boat with about 150 hours on it. WTF is the point??????? I'm 99.5% sure that this year will be the last year of boat ownership for me. I'm seriously considering throwing in the towel and putting it up for sale right now. Sorry - just venting.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-09-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
swass, we got our new boat on April 1st (maybe that's the problem...April Fools and all that!) and haven't gotten it in the water yet.
First, the lake was too low, now it has rained EVERY FREEKING DAY since April 20th. Lots of water in the lake now, but it won't stop coming down long enough to get the boat in the water. Not to mention all the junk floating around just waiting for my shiny new prop to hit it.
Maybe this weekend will be better...looks like the weather might clear up for a few hours at least.
Thanks for letting me tag on to your venting!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
Oh nooooo.......

What??????

The point is having a boat.... Bringing friends and family together out on the water. The enjoyment of a good set... The conversations that only seem to happen on the water. Drip drying in the hot sun.... I could go on and on.....

I never see myself without a boat. I may get rid of my inboard at some point and upgrade to a cruiser....if getting towed loses it appeal and my children don't get the wake bug. But it is just what we do..... Summers are all about the lake.....

Buck up little camper....you still have 5 more months of quality weather....
Old    walt            05-09-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Have you ever considered moving ?
Old    steezen            05-09-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Grey skies are gonna' clear up put on a . Soon you will be wishing it would get colder so you don't feel like you have to go up riding everyday. I can't wait!!

Steve

p.s. I hate the logs floating. I have jammed my toe on those muthas' it hurts.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-09-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
Don't get your panties in a bunch think of all the money your saving in gas. Gas is going to start dropping and you'll be out tearing it up on the lake. Think of all the skin you see on the lake.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-09-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
You know, this weather should have been here in April, not May. It's just not right.
Steven, you made me laugh at least!
Old    steezen            05-09-2006, 8:42 AM Reply   
Think of Lake Powell Lauri...it is going to be full with all this rain?? ( I am trying to stay optimistic, I am bummed out with the weather also).

steve
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-09-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
i heard once that the second happiest day in a boat owners life is the day he gets his boat and the happiest day is the day he sells it. i'm started to think this is true. as much as i love my boat i often wonder if i would like dirtbikes or another car more
Old    swass            05-09-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
I told myself that if I don't get my money's worth out of my lake pass this year, it's time to hang it up. It's not looking good so far.

I've considered moving, but the problem is - I'm the only one who has considered it. Besides, my first and only choice (SoCal) is too cost-prohibitive.

I hear ya, E.J., but those days seem to be fewer and farther between. I'm super bummed about it, but it doesn't seem like things are going to change. There are just too many demands on my time: Cub Scouts, t-ball, etc. My wife works one weekend per month, so that leaves three available weekends each month. We usually have a Saturday tball game, so that leaves us with three available Sundays per month. Mother Nature usually finds a way to *#)# those days up for us. That leaves weekdays, which are difficult for me to do with any regularity.

I'm starting to think about how to spend the money from selling the boat. That's not a good sign.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-09-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
swass, i feel ya. my lake was down too low for a while but since it's come up, i've put 50 hours on the boat in a month to compensate for time lost
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
It is May 9th and my boat has been out a couple of times but now needs worked on. I have to put in a couple of hours to get the tower mounted up and I am getting married in 32 days. Everything is getting a little crazy and stressful as I do not have much free time right now. I gotta keep my boat so that I can find a free evening and go out there and relax
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-09-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
it's may 9th and my boat has been wrecked already with like 12 hours on it :-)
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-09-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
Steve,
Hmmm, Powell probably won't benefit from "my" rain, but I hear there has been plenty to keep the water level good there, too.
Swass,
Don't sell it! Those kids just need to forget Cub Scouts and t-ball, the boat is MUCH better! They'll learn. Maybe you just need to live on the lake so you can get out more often (like me, HA!).
Not having to trailer the boat makes a huge difference in the amount of "quality time" you can spend on the water. Less gas $ too.
Just a thought.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-09-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
It's May 9th and my boat is out on the water with my husband and a bunch of other WakeWorld peeps and I'm at work.

Swass, I think your son needs a new hobby... wakeboarding and drop the cub scouts and t-ball. That would help you tremendously!
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-09-2006, 9:06 AM Reply   
Just be glad you're not in hurricaine country... It's looking like it might be another bad year. Not that we've had a rideable day that I've had off this year yet! They're hoping the mercury will break 60F today... whoo hoo!(that's sarcasm in case you didn't notice)
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
It's May 9th, and I still don't have any kids and only 4 hours on my boat.

I hear ya Swass...sometimes it's just time to transition. In the spring, I was thinking of ways to spend the money that the boat would free up...me=V-8 American Muscle, Wife=Audi A4.

Then, I took my first set and forgot all about that crap and how thankful I was to get behind the boat again and how much I enjoyed my time on the water with friends.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-09-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
mars,
Where are you? Sounds like Missouri...
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Good for the kids to have other activities. We work around the Summer hockey scheduled. My wife also works far too many weekends. But we just find a way.

Granted, it is nice to have the boat in a slip all Summer. Then again, that is a double edged sword when we have to take the time to pull it for weekend camp trips/houseboating to Flaming Gorge, Lake Powell or Starvation.

Being able to drive the car up after work(no hooking up the boat, launching, pulling out...ect) and getting onto/off the water in minutes makes trips during the week much easier.

I understand your frustrations. But I know once you get on the water again....have one of those hot days when everything falls together. Your riding is the best ever, you have to jump into the water to cool off, the kids are jumping off the side....crawling on the swim platform with big smiles.... Asking for another pull in the tube.....and if you will ride with them.... You will remember why you bought a boat to begin with....

Start off with a "Wet Wednesday(or whatever night)" weekly or twice monthly get together with friends. Everyone meets up, has a good evening on the lake.... You guys have enough die hards there that I am sure you could get a good draw.

I think we are going to start a Surf Night this year.... As well as a early bird before work thing....
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-09-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Sorry to say, but I'm kinda with Swass on this one. Our 6 yr. old boat is still in storage. I think I've come as far as I ever will with my wakeboarding skills, which is not far at all. Dreams of backrolls and 360s may have been unrealistic. I told my wife just 2 days ago that she doesn't have to worry about my obsession with getting a new wakeboard boat, like and X-Star, Nautique, or something, because I simply have no desire for a new boat. Plus, and this is the worst part, I, too, have enjoyed contemplating what I could do with the money from the boat, and houseboat share at Lake Powell. Please forgive me. Maybe like EJ said, it'll all be a thing of the past once I take that first run in Powell.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-09-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
I have considered moving out of San Diego, and going north, Norcal or Oregon area. I have been talking about it for MANY years, so it will probably not happen anytime soon. Especially after reading this thread. I guess I am spoiled with SoCal weather. I live 2 miles from the lake, and have put 350 hours on my boat in 14 months. Yea, it's expensive as hell here, but I guess there is always give and take.

Keep your chin up. I know you eventually will get some good weather up there. Don't get rid of that boat!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-09-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
well i don't whats going on with you guys, but i've already put twice as many hours on my boat this year as i did last year. I've hit a couple new tricks and tried out an invert. (yea, i suck) Sorry summer hasn't started for you guys... but i'm having a blast
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-09-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Kind of drifting into the same feeling. When we 1st started WakeBoarding in '98, we managed 200+ hrs a year until 2002, when we got a new X-Star. Since then, I now only have 260 hrs on it.

Our kids got burned out, and now that they're out of the house, it's tough for me and the wife to get a 3rd for a day trip.

One thing though is that now we have 2 grand kids, its looking like we may get more time on the water this year, as my daughter wants them to get out and play a little.

Won't be getting any new things though, as the excitement certainly has waned.

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-09-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
A day on the water is better than any day on land.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
This is like a funeral in here....and now you bdehaan!!!!

Maybe I am just a diehard... I truly cannot think of something I would rather do with free time than get out on the boat....even if I don't ride. It is by far the most relaxing time for me.

A day on the water is better than any day on land. Could not have said it better myself GreatDane.

(edit) P.S. Dave....LOVE the profile pic.

(Message edited by Deuce on May 09, 2006)
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-09-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
I'm with EJ...maybe i'm naive and new to this whole game...but i'd choose waxing and cleaning my boat over just about anything else - not to mention actually being on the water. wish i was home shining her right now!

it's May 9th here too...and sunday is my maiden voyage. water is about 55 degrees...and i'll be in it all day long!!! there's nothing else we'd rather be doing...

(Message edited by rgilby on May 09, 2006)
Old    gator_boards06            05-09-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
you have never been in the rain..well that adds a little kick to it..watch out for that lighting tho it might git ya..
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-09-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
If it's any consolation, we have only made it out twice so far this year and I make a boat payment that hurts EVERY MONTH. Boating is all about the $$ and i am envious of everyone with lake property, we have to trailer 100 miles minimum. And I live in Socal, the winter stretched longer this year, we should have 4-6 weekends by now.

I will have the boat paid off this year though, and then it's a no brainer from then on out. It was always an investment in fun, something to rally around. The kids are finally big enough to ride and that makes it way more fun. At the end of the year their funnest memories are camping at the lake and snowboarding at Mammoth.

Like everyone else said, hang in there until the weather turns. Sooner or later you will be sitting on a patch of glass having yourseld a perfect moment.

I bought my boat from a guy who was selling his lake property and his boat. He was hating it when we trailered it up, lot's of memories tied into it and he did not want his kids around when we were there, said his daughter would start crying.

Ask yourself how you will feel once the boat is gone and the money from it is spent and it's a hot weekend in August and everyone is just sitting around the house. If you still feel the same, then so be it. Until my kids have no interest in boarding and I am too old and beat up to ride (never!!), I will be hanging on to my ride.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
I hear ya, swass. I've been out on my boat just once this season. I played with the idea of selling the boat during the winter, and I've thought about "investing" the money in a different kind of fiberglass, a/k/a a Factory Five Cobra. I may be headed down the same road in the foreseeable future.
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-09-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
I think many of us have the question in their head when spring arrives and you just got done doing the pre-season prep forking out whatever it may cost along with a winter full of payments/insurance/morage for what? I have examined the option to sell every spring for the last 16 years... Then there is that first morning of sunshine, butter and the lake/bay to yourself and BINGO! I remember exactly why I put up with it all. There is nothing in this world as calming and stress free as a morning on the water with your friends/family/sun/butter.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-09-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Renee I'll be on the water in a few hours also..

I moved from Cali cause its to expensive, to crowed, to everything. (being in the Navy helped with the move)..

I've already logged 15+ hours on our boat and thats only because it took sometime to put together a crew to ride (hopefully) 2x a week.

And people say don't move to the Northwest, well Please don't I have the Lake all to myself, no tubers, no jetski's, etc
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-09-2006, 1:00 PM Reply   
By the way water temp 60 air temp60-65 .....
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
You guys are killing me!!!

I think we've all likely thought about selling at one point or another, especially the $$ it frees up, as well as space if you store your boat at home. My wife was pregnant all last summer, so I literally only took the boat out 8 times all year.

But...I went out for the first time two weekends ago, and the weather was beautiful, great to hang out with friends, listening to music, and of course wakeboarding. I was definitely rusty, but there really are no bad days on the water.

If you're really seriously considering it, do yourself a favor...spend 1/2 a day cleaning and shining it up, then take it out on the lake (when the weather allows obviously), and see if you still feel the same way.

I'm headed to Orlando week after next for a wedding and decided to head out there a day early. I'm taking a lesson at Darin's camp, and it's got me geeked up again on wakeboarding. I'm 36, and my skills aren't going to elevate much past where they are, but...it's still hard to beat a great day on the water...
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-09-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
It's may 9th and my boat has not seen water yet either! Our local lake is full of floating debris and a run of rattlesnakes deciding to go for a swim. Making payments all year long but when it's in the water it's all worth it...friends, family & fun. Hang in there, your not alone!
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-10-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
Swass- Sorry to hear your frustration and believe me, there are days I feel the same way but I just can't see myself without a boat. Although Colorado is not considered a boating friendly state I make due. You, on the other hand, have children and a wife. Boating is expensive and if you don't go it makes it very expensive to pay for a boat that just sits. Can you find a way to make it out after work during the week? Or take off early every once in a while during the week when you know the weather is going to be super nice? Also, have you ever considered going when the wife is working as well? You have a lake right around the corner from you. You're what like 5 minutes from Stanley? You should be hittin it one night during the week as well as the weekend.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-10-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Swass is one of my good friends and riding buddies. We all have boats, so he will still get to board. The first day my boat will hit the water is saturday. Rain, snow, or shine. It will also be the last time I use it. IT IS SOLD
I gave up on the weather last week and sold it on ebay. Guy is picking it up Sat, and wants to watertest it. Sad to see it go, been a great 5 years but like Swass, I have some stuff picked out with the money. Stuff I can use all year long. Just not when the weather is nice. In addition, our neat little lake is going to a lottery system next year for permits, instead of the first come, first serve process they have done for the past bazillion years. Too many people want permits. Aprox 1500 camped out on the side of the street the night before they went on sale this year.!! Only sell 550 permits. They estimate next year there will be over 2500 applicants for a permit in the lottery. I am not lucky one bit when it comes to that. There are still 3 in our crew with boats, so I will be riding, and so will Swass if he sells. Honestly, the past 2 years have been exhausting rushing home to get some afterwork butter, just to have the stinking crappy wind start up right when the trailer hits the water. Weekends have become too popular at the lake, and boarding is impossible. Have to get there too dang early in the AM, and then we are just too tired, and cranky to enjoy the riding. And never ride our best when the sun is comming up.My newborn son is also going to get a lot of my time on the weekends and after work. I am currently looking into a full swing pro golf simulator to put in my boat garage. Year round golf with my buddies, and weather can not ruin our fun. I WIN you stinking weather. Blahahahahhahahahha

(Message edited by colorider on May 10, 2006)

(Message edited by colorider on May 10, 2006)
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-10-2006, 10:15 PM Reply   
its may 10th and i have been out 5 of 8 days...things are good and i think you guys should reconcider selling.

sometimes its good and sometimes its TERRIBLE, but i really cant see myself NOT having a boat, that would be insane
Old    swass            05-11-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
No offense Jonny, but...kiss my butt.

It's not costing us anything to let it sit, Kraig. It's paid for, and we store it in the garage, so it costs us less than $1000/year to own it (insurance and permit).

Don't get me wrong - I still really enjoy going out on the boat and I still enjoy wakeboarding. Great friends, loving family, sun, fun and water. It doesn't get any better. It's just that I don't get to do it much anymore. It seems like a shame to let the boat sit and collect dust. It should go to a good home with people who will take her out for a little exercise once in awhile.

Even if I did sell, I wouldn't disappear from the "scene." I've met most of my friends on WW. Andy, Todd and I probably wouldn't know each other if it wasn't for WW. We even get to travel to SoCal at least twice a year to visit friends we've met on WW. They treat us like family (the crazy cousins nobody wants to talk about).
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-11-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
I understand your frustration Swass, believe me! All the better reason to come out to the "MileHigh Meet & Greet" and meet more people in the wakeboarding community. I know you have a crew who all have boats, but it can't hurt to meet a few more. So why don't you, Andy and Todd make it up to Horsetooth on May 20th for a BBQ with a group of boarders. It would be nice to meet someone else here on WW I see post all the time but have never met.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       05-11-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Strange...I've been riding all year!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-11-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
My boat is sold and this is what is taking its place in the boat garage. It is being custom built for size next week and I should have it in about 3 weeks.! Along with this, there will be a small bar, 32 inch tv in the corner, fridge, bar stools, bar table, stereo and contemplating a stripper pole. Now this is year round fun. Could not spend the boat money on something practical, that would just be wrong.
Upload
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-11-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
Damn Andy!! Nice set up! Charge for the use of it, sell a few drinks and you could give Dave and Busters a run for their money!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
Renee V
Thanks for letting your husband come out and play, we had a great time!!!
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-11-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
Like I had a choice in the matter? I'm just glad that we are getting regular boat use and are making new WW friends. You guys are welcome on our boat anytime (with or without me).
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-12-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
Kraig, I can't wait to get the garage all setup and playing golf. Golf has been a passion of mine from age 8. In the summer, we play every friday weather permitting. Now, we can play every friday and any other day for that matter. I foresee latenight weekend tournements being held over here. Pretty much it is the same setup as at a dave and busters and used in golfshops, Mine will just be a bit narrower. I will have pics put up here once it is done. I will also have pics on the companies website that is doing the simulator for me. The owner got a kick out of what I am doing. All his sales so far have been to country clubs and commercial applications. He is excited to see my end results and it is going to help his sales in the "in home" market. That is nice for me because we are working out a discounted price in order for him to use the pics for advertising.!
Almost forgot, today would be a perfect boarding day except for the blazing wind whipping the lake into a nice froth. This weather has officially declared war on me,and I am going to win.!

(Message edited by colorider on May 12, 2006)
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-12-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
Can't wait to see some pics Andy. It amazes me that with as many high end homes as there are here in Denver that it hasn't been done yet. It can't be cheap! I can totally see an addiction to it though.

Are you and Swass in for the Meet & Greet next Saturday at Horsetooth? Come out for a BBQ and meet others who board and boat. It would be great to meet you guys!
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-14-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
I won't be able to make it. I have a family obligation I have to fulfill on Sat for most the day. Now that my boat is gone, I have some serious weekend projects and after work projects to take care of. Hopefully we can hook up sometime this summer.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-15-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
Made it out for the first time on Friday. It was Michelle, two of her friends and me. I was the only one who took a pull.

Weather was around 80....water in the low 60's.

Floating on a deserted lake, drinking beers and sucking in the suns rays with three girls in bikinis...I would not trade my boat for a real golf course.....
Old    swass            05-15-2006, 7:10 AM Reply   
I sent you an email Kraig.

Another week down...still dry.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-15-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
EJ got pics for proof, the bikinis part?
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-15-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
This thread is lame.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-15-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Andy...you use to have a 2000 MC X-5 correct? If so, what did you sell it for if you do not mind me asking? I'm selling mine this summer (have 510 hours on it) and would kind of like to get an idea for what I can expect for it. Thanks.
Old    nautique226            05-15-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
This thread is lame
Old    bigdtx            05-15-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
I bought a boat a few years back from a dude who had moved down to TX from Michigan. He said they always had a tradition of going out on New Years day. I said it's too cold & said "man you don't know what cold is". This is year round boating weather down here - he was right - regardless of the weather, once you're out on the water - it's all good...