Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-04-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
Took the X out on the water for some riding this weekend (finally) and I am having BIG problems with my PP and can't figure it out.

The Pass beeps and shows lines like it's set and holding but will either slowly increase or decrease depending on the position of the throttle. You really have to "drive" the boat now to keep the speed constant as opposed to just letting the PP hold as before.

I currently have the kdw set at 180 and the NN at 80 which is where it's been all last year and held fine. I moved the brains to the PP during my sub install but all the wires are hooked up correctly. I moved the kdw and NN all over the board on Sat and finally gave up.

Any ideas?
Old     (ryan_e)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-04-2005, 10:26 AM Reply   
Zack I have the same problem too and it was my first weekend. That's why I was riding on Noah's boat and had mine anchored on Sunday. I am taking it into the shop today. If no one answers you by the time I get mine back I'll let you know what they came up with.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-04-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
does it have drive by wire?
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-04-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
No it's a 2002 XStar (X2) so it's the standard drive by cable.

I got it to hold speed ONE time Saturday morning with me and one other in the boat but the rest of the time no dice.
Old    buttskimmer            04-04-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
Weak throttle return spring - per the PP trouble shooting guide on the website. It also suggests checking the winder. Don't burn your hand.
~S~
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-04-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
KDW should be 80 and NN should be 180.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-04-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
http://www.perfectpass.com/troubleshooting.html
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-04-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
It sounds like the computer is working but the servo motor is not.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-04-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
I've never seen it, but I was told by a dealer they had some PP problems a couple of times after they installed a sub under the dash close to the PP module. Not sure what the problem was though. Just something else to check.

Greg
Old    alanp            04-05-2005, 3:56 AM Reply   
throttle spring
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-05-2005, 6:42 AM Reply   
Had the same problem and called the factory direct. Talked to one of the engineers and he gave me a fix that worked great for me. Maybe it will help. I've attached a word doc.
application/mswordPerfect Pass fix
Perfect Pass Calibrations.doc (20.5 k)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-05-2005, 7:23 AM Reply   
i had similar problems when i first installed mine. finally figured out that where i'd mounted the servo was putting too small a bend radius in the cable. it was causing the cable to bind in the housing. i fixed it by moving the servo to a better place, and adding an extra throttle return spring.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-05-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
One other thing to check, most of the servo motors mount to a hose of of the motor snd if it loosens up and is able to slide at all those symptoms you describe show up the other is the throttle spring.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-05-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
I had a similar condition where absolutely everything in the PP checked out fine but after 2 years of use it would only hold speed for a little while and then would drop the setting.

I contacted the techs at PP and gave them a good description of the problem and they sent me back an easy fix.

It turned out that my throttle cable was to blame. After a few hundred hours, the throttle cable slides with less resistance and the return spring will pull the lever back to point where PP cannot make up the difference.

Solution is what is called a cable brake which is basically just a cable clamp about the size of your throttle cable, placed close to the control side. You can buy them, but I went to Ace Hardware and just bought two cable clamps. You then just tighten them down until the control lever has a little more resistance.

Now the PP is dead on and won't let go even in the worst water.

Big ups to the PP people for the $1.10 solution.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-05-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
Anyone ever tried there PP KDW @ 200 and NN @ 100. I have a PS 190 and PP struggles to hold speed w/ approx 2000lbs in it. Guy @ PP told me to try thos settings then do the thorttle linkage spring.
Old    alanp            04-05-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
yeah i forgot about the throttle cable clamp. i added one of those too. it works like a champ.

adam explain a little further about the problem. i had my settings all over the place until perfect pass set me straight with the clamp and return spring.
to everyone else i would advise not installing a super heavy return spring. use a spring with just enough to return the throttle. i did and it wore out the servo motor. luckily it didnt totally burn up the motor and i was able to return to a lighter spring and have it still work.
Old     (ryan_e)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2005, 5:51 AM Reply   
It ended up being my servo motor.
Old     (djpurnell)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-18-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
my heater matrix leaked all over the loom, and water corroded the paddle wheel contacts behind the dashboard, this caused my PP to rev the engine up and down.