Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       04-30-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
I was wondering how bad brackish water is on a ski boat?

Ive herd that is horrible on the trailer but i want to know how bad is it on the engine. The boat is set up for fresh water only and there is not a flush kit on it? Is it hard to put a flush kit on it. It is on 07 mastercraft x2.

I dont want to put it in brackish water but when i have brackish water 15 min away compared to fresh water1.15hr away then my mind starts to wonder.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. And the brackish water i am talking about is the san bernard river in TX. So if you live in the area and want to ride just hit me up. Always looking for new people to ride with.
Old    mojo            04-30-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
if the boat is flushed after every use there's no issue. even those non closed cooled engines that are flushed work fine. EVERY douchey fresh water boat owner will tell you to run away, but in reality not everyone lives on a fresh water lake, and they are over exaggerating. just installing a flush is simple. i'd definitely put a closed cooling system in it though. the brackish i ride in is usually pretty fresh and clean actually, but still has some salt content. if i would never use my boat in anything but fresh water i'd probably not buy a boat used in brackish or salt, but there's nothing wrong with it. let the fresh water fight begin.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-30-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
I've run down on the san bernard before. Make sure it's flushed every time aftre use, and hosed down really well...including the trailer. What is the trailer made of?

the san bernard varies in how salty the water is....

I quit running down there b/c cleanup takes too long. the "spray" gets over everything. you'll find salt residue on just about everything in the summer.

it will affect resale...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
There are different "levels" of salt in brackish water. I live on salt water and have a place on fresh water. I've owned 3 mastercrafts, 2 correct crafts, 1 malibu and a supreme and I have friends with brackish and full salt boats with closed cooling systems. You will never convenience me that all things being equal a fresh water and salt water boat are equal. The salt seem to find every little weakness in materials. It will also eat up a painted trailer.

Regardless, the type of water has never interfered with my riding or willingness to splash the boat. What is douchey are the fresh water boaters with an excessive clean up ritual after every trip.

What is nice is when you take a saltwater boater out to your fresh water ride spot. They don't hesitate to start scrubbing and cleaning the second you hit the dock without asking or with any reservation. When I say let it drip dry on the lift, leave the gear on the boat, I always hear serious? are you sure? you should not handle it all alone...its not a problem... I love the fresh.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-30-2012, 11:11 AM Reply   
I would never, and I mean NEVER use a fresh water ski boat in salt. Are there precautions you can take? Yes. However, I personally saw a new boat this past season that was used for a long weekend in brackish/salt water, and the after effects. The boat had like 50 hours on it. The owner took every precaution I could think of - salt away, flush after every use, wipe down after every use, cover immediately after being washed down, etc. etc. When he got back, you could tell that boat had seen salt. All sorts of small metal parts developed surface rust, and when I helped him winterize his boat, you could just tell the boat had seen salt. After much elbow grease, the boat looks new again, so I guess it's possible to do it and not have many, if any, permanent issues, but my friend swears he will never put his boat in salt again.

What people don't realize is that when you use a boat for wakeboarding in salt water, salt covers everything. When you get back in the boat, and you sit down, all that salt water drips down into every nook and cranny. It gets soaked up into the cushions, it drains down in to areas of the engine compartment when you spray the boat down. My advise is just don't do it.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
Travis,

Don't listen to Chattwake he has it all wrong! Run the boat...that's what you bought it for right? You'll have 2 more hours of riding per trip, you will use the boat more and you will have a reason to buy a new boat much sooner. Who can argue with an excuse to buy a new boat?

(Don't forget to rinse the trailer or it the cancer will get it.)
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-30-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
If you do it when you flush be sure to let it run long enough for the thermostat to open + a few minutes to make sure you're actually flushing the whole cooling system. I've run many water crafts in salt water for many hours but not an inboard as the need hasn't come up. I've turned down a few opportunities to bring my MC in brackish water but in my case those lakes are the ones that are significantly further.

I'd sell your trailer while it's nice and has value then apply the proceeds towards an aftermarket salt water suitable trailer. If you use your painted OEM trailer in salt water it will look bad after a couple of seasons and likely be pretty much trash after a couple more leaving you with a worthless trailer and having to buy a whole new one.

Plan on keeping on top of fasteners and odds and ends as they corrode. You'll see which ones are SS and which ones aren't pretty quick.

I'd stop by the coin operated car wash after every outing and wash it from top to bottom.

Last edited by Jeff; 04-30-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-30-2012, 11:30 AM Reply   
its not that bad, i used mine in salt water all the time, even forgot a few times to flush the engine. The only downfall of using a boat in saltwater is that you need to replace the Risers/Manifolds every 5-10 years.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
I could never get a stereo head unit with any exposure to last more than 2 years in the salt water. My wedge pitted instantly until I put a couple zincs on the boat. I must have some stray current nearby.

It's not the end of the world just a little more work.
Old     (lalh20)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-30-2012, 7:54 PM Reply   
If you're going to put it in salt a couple times a year, might as well put it in salt all the time.

As said previously, you can tell a boat that's been in saltwater only a bit by looking at trim etc, i live in KS but have owned salt boats. I dont' think you "ruin" them mechanically but yes, visually you can definitely tell. You will NEVER find a boat that is regularly in saltwater and can't tell with a trained eye but a well cleaned boat will still be a great boat. As stated, risers etc will need to be replaced over time. The MC I owned was relatively new with under 150 hours and 1 year after owning it in KS, the risers had water coming out of a hole where they rusted through. When I took them off, I was SHOCKED at the inside, despite the great look of the boat etc. It had a flush kit but i doubt it was used every single time. The interior of the boat had truly been well cleaned every tiem though, from the untrained eye, you could barely tell about the salt.

If you live near saltwater and you own a boat to be on the water, go for it! just know that you pay a little more for the convenience. Expect lower resale and you won't be dissappointed. I think it'd be silly to drive 1.5 hours for 3 years just to sell a boat for a couple K more. Isn't it worth 500 per year to get double the water time?
Old    kx250frider617            04-30-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
I use my boat in salt once a week, the trailer is starting to corrode pretty bad but we clean it very good after each session. Don't even hesitate man. ITs just a little more work to clean it up.
Old    mojo            04-30-2012, 8:42 PM Reply   
In my opinion, if it hasn't seen brackish before then go ahead and have a closed cooling system installed before you use it. With a flush kit and labor you're looking at 1200-1800 depending on the dealer. Keep in mind the manifolds still get raw water. I know the new crusader engines are fully closed, but I think it's not possible to do that on older boats, or it's expensive. A galvanized trailer is required. A regular painted one will rust out in 2-3 years max. I would just plan on keeping the boat a long time, customize it over the years to make it yours, and then the "salt" fee of 5-10% won't bother you so much if you decide to sell it. Take care of it with flushes, any zinc anodes, fluids, etc and it'll last you as long as you want to keep it.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-01-2012, 5:44 AM Reply   
We have a house on the San Bernard river where we keep our boat (up river, just south of the barge filling station) and is where we will use it 90% of the time. Knowing this, we ordered the boat with a closed cooling system, flush kit, salt water steering and a pretty impressive zinc anode system.

Last year due to the drought the salt content was pretty high. This year though we have had so much rain that out of all the water I've tasted while riding/crashing, I've yet to taste a hint of salt water.

I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning and flushing. You definitely need a flush kit and need to run it for 10-15min after every use to let the TSTAT open and close several times like Jeff said.

The San Bernard River is a great river to ride on, especially during the week or before 12, after 5. The traffic is not bad at all even though the majority of the boats are wake boats. There are tons of wake boats on the river, the majority of which stay on the lift until used (which I'm not a big fan of). I guess they are all doing it wrong and destroying their boat...

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you take the precautions everyone mentioned above. I would try and sell the trailer and get a galvanized or aluminum trailer. No matter how quickly or meticulously you clean the steel trailer, it will rust from the inside out. We had McClain Trailers build a custom aluminum C Channel trailer and it turned out great.

Anyway, good luck, enjoy the boat. Hope to see you on the water!
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-01-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
where all are yall placing the zinc anodes?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-01-2012, 6:55 AM Reply   
I have an 06 X2 that has been used exclusively in salt water for the past 6 years. Your boat will be fine as newer Mastercrafts are built more like offshore boats than the old school ski boats people think about. The only damage my boat has had because of the salt has been to the manifolds, motor mounts, and steering cable. You only need zincs if the boat will be kept in the water. The metal that they use, other than the engine parts, is the same as what is used on any offshore boat. Stainless and anodized aluminum. The wiring is all tinned and my wiring is perfect after 6 years.
Old    mojo            05-01-2012, 7:18 AM Reply   
2005 210 rocking the same steering cable and it steers almost like new still. I'll agree that the engine mounts have taken a beating, but still function fine. My closed cooled engine has an anode in the sea water section, my manifolds are fine, my tower is fine, and my underwater gear is in good shape too. Make sure ur Amps are at the point of no moisture and satin/chrome connections do better than gold on my experience.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-01-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
I agree with everything Reed said. My motor mounts are also fine just look rusty. You should be fine on the amps if they are stock. Those JLs that master craft uses are practically waterproof. When people complain about salt water and wake boats they either are way too anal or they don't take any care of their boat and that's why it has turned into a bucket of rust.

Definitely sell your trailer and buy an aluminum one. You should be able to sell a nice master craft trailer for more than an aluminum one costs.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-01-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
I appreciate all of yalls thoughts. Now another queston. Would it be wise to sell the current boat just to get a saltwater series boat? How much of a difference is there between the salt series and the non-salt series boats?

TJ- Im going to look at a lot that is for sale on the bernard this afternoon. If everything goes through (my dream) then im sure ill be seeing you out there. Also what boat are you riding there, and as far as your comment on leaving it on the lift, is that a bad idea?
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-01-2012, 10:32 AM Reply   
A salt water X2 will be almost the same thing as your X2. The difference will be the engine, hydraulic steering, and gas shocks. You can put closed cooling on your boat for a thousand bucks, the stainless shocks are nice but after 6 years my normal ones have no rust plus if you really want it wouldn't cost much to install the stainless ones, and as for the steering cable, at worst you would need to change it every 3 years and it costs about 200 bucks.

I would only get a SS if you are planning on getting a new boat. If you decide to use your boat in the salt here is what I recommend for great trouble free use
- Remove all screws that go into the tower (including any on the speaker), put anti-seize on them, and reinsert
- Do the same for the exhaust manifolds
- Buy Boeshield T-9 or woody wax and put a coating on all metal including the engine
- Install closed cooling and a flush kit
- Anodes if kept in the water
- Buy and aluminum or galvanized trailer
- Flush with salt away
- Always hose down the boat after use
- Don't know if MC did this already for 07 but in 06 the ballast pumps where installed with the impeller on the top. This leads to premature failure even in fresh water use but worse in salt (an SS of the same year would have this problem btw). Flip over all the pumps so the impeller is on the bottom.

Do these things and all you will have to do is replace the steering cable every few years (maybe not if your lucky) and if you get a half closed system then the manifolds every few years (make sure you put anti-seize on the bolts, you'll thank me later).
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-01-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosfreak05 View Post
I appreciate all of yalls thoughts. Now another queston. Would it be wise to sell the current boat just to get a saltwater series boat? How much of a difference is there between the salt series and the non-salt series boats?

TJ- Im going to look at a lot that is for sale on the bernard this afternoon. If everything goes through (my dream) then im sure ill be seeing you out there. Also what boat are you riding there, and as far as your comment on leaving it on the lift, is that a bad idea?
How long have you had the X2? Do you like it? We demo'd a new X2 before I bought my Tige RZR and it seemed nice. The wakeboard wake was pretty good stock but seemed mellow and wide. The surf wake did not seem very good. If you are happy with it I don't think I would sell it unless you wanted to upgrade anyway.

I have a friend that has an 04 XSTAR that be bought used a year and a half ago. He uses it almost exclusively in brackish water and to be honest he pretty much abuses it. He never flushes it, doesn't use Stabil and only washes it every 3-4 times out. He put it up for the winter this past year for prob 5 months with a full tank of non stabilized gas and didn't winterized it and it started right up and ran well the first time he used it. Maybe the comment about MC building their boats like off shore boats is true or maybe it's a ticking time bomb with the way he takes care of it!

Good luck on the purchase! I know it's convenient and all but unless you live on the river and can get there within an hour and get the boat out I wouldn't leave it on the lift for more than a couple weeks. Last year some friends rushed down to the river during a storm and saved 5-6 boats and several jet skis that were on lifts because the water was rising fast. 2 boats that I know of we're lost because the lifts were not high enough and the boat got pinned against the top of the boat house. We rushed down there a couple weeks ago during a flash flood where they received 9" of rain and pulled 4-5 boats and a couple jet skis out. I guess it depends on the height of the boat house and the location of the river. We are pretty far up river where it is a little more narrow. It's also where the best riding is due to not having bulkheads on both sides.

The danger of flooding is one thing but I guess that's also why you would have insurance with an agreed hull value. What bothers me is the spray from the river whether it is salty or not. We rode last year on a friend's boat that stays in the lift all the time during the season because he lives there. We meticulously cleaned it after every use while on the lift and always kept it covered. He even had 2 large hardy plank walls put up on either side of the boat house about 6' from the deck to help protect the boat (very good idea IMO). The boat looks a little older than it should IMO. Nothing major so far as it is only a year old but it seems to have aged like Lindsay Lohan or that girl you at your 10yr high school reunion who was really hot in school but was and still is always tan with no tan lines, went off to college and had a good time, didn't graduate because she got knocked up twice by 2 different guys, one of which she can't remember and shows up to brunch with alcohol on her breath and a Pall Mall bouncing from the corner of her mouth as she talks.

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a little but you can tell. The chrome trim on his Wet Sounds tower speakers has some oxidation and pitting/rust like deposits.

Here's my boat:

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-01-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
Travis - my trailer lasted 4.5 years with little care to it. Running on the SBR and Dickinson Bayou and couple times in the bay, Clear Creek, etc. I always flushed my engine but not always rinse my trailer, plus I live on the coast with no salt wind blocking my driveway where it was stored for many years.

I replaced the manifolds and risers 2 yrs ago under the advisement of my mechanic after a hydrolock issue. The old ones were fine just needed a bit of cleaning up.

With that said, rinse your boat, inside and out, there is Salt Away and WD-40 available on the shelf. Majority of those boats on that river do NOT have closed loop cooling.

I wouldnt sweat it, as long as you take care of it.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-01-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
Speaking of Salt-Away, does anyone know if it will strip wax? Their website says it is safe for: Magnesium, Aluminum, Iron, Copper, Steel, Stainless Steel, Chrome, Paint, Gel Coat, Nylon, Isinglass, Vinyl, Plastic, Glass, Wood, Leather, Rubber, Canvas, Concrete, Brick. It just doesn't say if it will strip wax when applied to paint or gel coat.

I bought a foam gun to use to wash the boat and thought it would be a good idea to mix in a couple caps of Salt-Away, mostly for spraying the hull and running gear, trailer, etc, the places I don't actually wash or wipe.

I used the foam gun this weekend after pulling the boat out and it works really well. I normally just rinse the boat and trailer down really well with fresh water and then spray it with Hot Sauce and dry it while wet.

I think this process worked really well:

-foam the boat, trailer and all the gear (obviously not in direct sunlight) and let it soak
-disconnect the hose, connect it to the boat, flush the motor for 10-15min
-rinse, wipe down and hang up all the gear
-rinse the boat and trailer (wipe off any dirt or residue on the boat)
-spray Hot Sauce and dry

I know that seems like a lot of work but it's not that bad, especially if you have at least 2 people, 1 doing the inside and one on the outside of the boat.

FYI, my dealer sprayed my entire motor with CRC Corrosion Inhibitor while doing the 25hr break in service. I don't know a ton about it but it seems like a good product and a good preventative measure.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/?s=06026

Last edited by Houstonshark; 05-01-2012 at 1:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-01-2012, 7:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you take the precautions everyone mentioned above. I would try and sell the trailer and get a galvanized or aluminum trailer. No matter how quickly or meticulously you clean the steel trailer, it will rust from the inside out. We had McClain Trailers build a custom aluminum C Channel trailer and it turned out great.

Anyway, good luck, enjoy the boat. Hope to see you on the water!
We also run the San Bernard for wakeboarding. We launch at the 521 bridge and stay north because of the salt and bulkheads south of 521. NO DOUBT last years drought brought the salt water way up river!! I always take my boat to Bucees car wash where I wash and wipe everything down. None the less the saltwater heavily pitted my painted trailer with rust in just a few months. I recently sold that boat and just bought a used Tige and I am planning on getting a galvanized trailer and Closed cooling system ASAP!!

That being said we LOVE the Bernard and spend most of our summer out there. I am older now but I spent alot of time as a teen skiing and kneeboarding and have nothing but great memories!!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-01-2012, 7:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer1206 View Post
We also run the San Bernard for wakeboarding. We launch at the 521 bridge and stay north because of the salt and bulkheads south of 521. NO DOUBT last years drought brought the salt water way up river!! I always take my boat to Bucees car wash where I wash and wipe everything down. None the less the saltwater heavily pitted my painted trailer with rust in just a few months. I recently sold that boat and just bought a used Tige and I am planning on getting a galvanized trailer and Closed cooling system ASAP!!

That being said we LOVE the Bernard and spend most of our summer out there. I am older now but I spent alot of time as a teen skiing and kneeboarding and have nothing but great memories!!
Dennis, what boat did you buy?
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-02-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
TJ- The boat is my dads who lives in Fort Worth but i was able to pick it up this weekend whenever i meet everyone at Bethy Creek for roundup this year. In my opinion i dont really like the X2 wake with just stock ballast. I usually ride it with as much weight as i possibly can. I think we are running close to 4,000 lbs. With that weight the wake is pretty decent. As far as surf wake i cant really compare to much else. All i know is that i am capable of surfing behind it. If you ever see a red and blue x2 out there stop by and say whats up. Also if you ever need another rider/driver or gas/beer just let me know. I also plan on living on the bernard since i only work about 30 minutes from the 521 bridge.

Fred- Do you still run your epic down on the bernard? I need to be the second person that rides your boat with full balast. lol

Manny-My pumps will fill the hard tanks but they wont drain them. Should i turn around the pumps to fix the problem? It sounds like they are sucking air and so they automatically turn off. I have the PWT system plumbed in and i can fill and drain the bags but cant drain the hard tanks. Also i notice that after i take a set the bags go from full to half full.
Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-02-2012, 5:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
Dennis, what boat did you buy?
http://www.cgmarineinternational.com...Texas/3221840/

We pick her up this weekend, come on friday!!!!
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-03-2012, 6:36 AM Reply   
TJ and Dennis I also ride the San Bernard we are currently building a house there it is north of the 521 bridge and it is the 2nd house (5th wheel trailer there now) south of the railroad bridge. I have a red and white Sanger V210 stop by and say HI if you see us.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-03-2012, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette74 View Post
TJ and Dennis I also ride the San Bernard we are currently building a house there it is north of the 521 bridge and it is the 2nd house (5th wheel trailer there now) south of the railroad bridge. I have a red and white Sanger V210 stop by and say HI if you see us.
Jason, were you out on Sunday? I remember seeing a red and white Sanger.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-03-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
cool to know there are this many san bernard riders on here.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-03-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
John- I was thinking the same thing. I made a thread last year i believe about riding the san bernard and only had a few hits. Then i make a thread about brackish water and come to find out there are lots of people who ride the bernard.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-03-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
TJ no that wasn't me I think I have seen that boat mine is an older one that says SKI SANGER on the side.Travis and I will be out there this Sunday.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-03-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
Name:  sanger pic.jpg
Views: 9183
Size:  151.1 KB
Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-03-2012, 6:40 PM Reply   
Travis and John, Post pics of your boat so we can reconize it when we see it. We know what TJ and Jasons boat looks like. I know we will cross paths sooner or later, in the summer we alternate weekends with Wake Nation and the River.(some weekends we do both)
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-04-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
Travis and Jason - I;m counting on you two to spread the good word about our local club to these guys, get enough SBR riders again and maybe do an event in that direction.....
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-04-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
here i am. i put in at mcneal and ride up stream.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-04-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
maybe attaching it will help.
Attached Images

Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-06-2012, 5:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
maybe attaching it will help.
Yup, reconize the boat storage in the background. What is this about SBR? Any details??
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-06-2012, 6:31 PM Reply   
I ride in "fresh" water that is on a tidal river that is not far from the ocean (Delaware River). Technically where I drop in is fresh, but there is some salt content. Water doesn't taste or smell salty like the ocean, but it's not a fresh water lake. I don't worry about it. I flush after every use and usually give a quick hose down of the boat and trailer. It's not a big deal, but salt content here may be lass than your spot. My boat, an '89 model, was used for at least a few years prior to me getting it, in the Chesapeake Bay. The Chesapeake is brackish, salt content can be low or high depending on where in the bay or tributaries you are, and may even be considered fresh. It's all tidal though so there is some salt content. My boat is fine, my engine is fine, my trailer is the original trailer from '89 and isn't rusted to hell.

So I say just enjoy the local brackish water and flush/hose down your stuff when done. It's not a big deal.

Personally I avoid salt though. It's an hour drive to the shore or maybe half hour south to the "salt water line" and I could ride or relax in some cool areas but I avoid it. I don't want to deal with rust and corrosion issues, and it's farther to go anyway. I'm sure at some point I'll either trailer to the ocean/bays or just drive down river until I get there (it's only an hour or two) but I'd clean things well afterward.

At the end of the day I look at a boat as a tool to accomplish a task. My passion is riding, a boat is the tool I use to do what I enjoy. If all I had was salt, I'd ride in salt and deal with the extra maintenance and decreased life of metal parts. At the end of the day engines are cheap and easy and there's not much wiring on a boat. It's not a big deal to repair or replace those things if they have a shorter service life.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2012, 5:36 AM Reply   
Boat pic attached. I went out sunday with Jason and the bernard is a sick place to ride. Now i just got to get a house and a boat lift and i will be set. If any of yall see me out there come wave me down and says whats up. My boat is out of service for awhile due to the fact that we hit a stump on the USJ saturday. So if any of yall have extra room for another rider/driver and need some gas money i would love an invite.
Attached Images

Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-07-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
Travis thanks for coming along that was a lot of fun. The water was great there were no other boats until noon.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-07-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer1206 View Post
Yup, reconize the boat storage in the background. What is this about SBR? Any details??

SBR? san bernard river? not sure i know what you are asking.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-07-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Boat pic attached. I went out sunday with Jason and the bernard is a sick place to ride. Now i just got to get a house and a boat lift and i will be set. If any of yall see me out there come wave me down and says whats up. My boat is out of service for awhile due to the fact that we hit a stump on the USJ saturday. So if any of yall have extra room for another rider/driver and need some gas money i would love an invite.

USJ?

the bernard has been money lately. we just need to keep getting rain.
we bought land out there a couple of years ago. i hope to be able to put a lift adn dock this year and house in 2014. thats the plan anyway.

i will for sure look for you. next time i go out if you need a pull i can hook you up. do you surf or board?
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-07-2012, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
also. not sure where you take your boat to get worked on but i highly recommend Kustom Kolors in pearland. great work adn great to deal with.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-07-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
USJ?

the bernard has been money lately. we just need to keep getting rain.
we bought land out there a couple of years ago. i hope to be able to put a lift adn dock this year and house in 2014. thats the plan anyway.

i will for sure look for you. next time i go out if you need a pull i can hook you up. do you surf or board?
If you want to build a dock anytime soon I would turn in a permit now. I have had mine submitted into the GLO and Corps since January and I am about 2 months away from a permit. I have the contact info for eveyone if you need it.
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-07-2012, 10:21 AM Reply   
good to know. question... i was told that the guys that build my dock will take care of all fo teh paper work and permits. is this true? are you building yourself?
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-07-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
Travis, (Round-Up Tige Dave here) - bummer on the stump on the USJ, I hope it is not too bad. The LSJ and Clear Creek is virtually salt free at this point. We were out yesterday but the cops and warden were everywhere on boats and jet skis. Maybe they will tone down the offenders this summer. We had butta most of the morning. As far as saltwater - I posted an answer to this question on GCWA - I have been on and around boats for almost 30 years in fresh and saltwater. With good care, we have never had an significant boat failure due to salt, if anything I have seen more damage from UV Rays. Yes, with salt, you will have a little more cleanup, I spray my engine area with a corrosion preventative liquid in a spray can twice a year, it can be bought at West Marine. I have been told my boat looks cleaner than most fresh water boats inside and out. My worry is the trailer, but I am budgeting for a new trailer in 4 +/-years if needed (already 3 years old).
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-07-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
For those of you that see Travis on the sbr, he can throw down hard! Real good rider!!!
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
John- the USJ is the Upper San Jacinto river that flows into lake Houston. Also I typically board but honestly man I just love being out on the water. So surfing, boarding, skating its all fun to me.

Jason- Once again thanks for the pull man I greatly appreciate it. If you ever need help on your boat or anything else for that matter just give me a shout. Hopefully you land one of those inverts soon. When I get my boat fixed ill give you a pull sometime.

Dave- Yea man your boat is one clean looking boat. Also thanks for the pull at roundup, and for the compliment. Look like i just need to drop the boat in the Bernrad and save myself from having to tow an hour to houston.

Anybody on here that lives on the bernard have a room for rent? I can also provide a nice x2 to ride behind!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-07-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
I've been wanting to go to the San Jacinto River but heard you have to be careful where you launch and getting out to the main river. Damn, that sucks to have hit a stump! The SBR can get pretty low at times and you have to be careful near the banks if you are turning around or end up drifting over there when stopped. The shallow water warning goes off on my boat all the time. Last time we were out, my boys were swimming and the boat drifted over towards a bulkhead. I started the boat up to move us and the water depth read 1.4' (which I think is maybe the distance from the prop but I could be wrong. I slowly put the boat in gear and heard the prop hitting what sounded like some small limbs. I put it back in neutral and just let the boat drift forward to get out of the shallow water. It didn't do any damage though.

There are a few new obstacles this year on the river though. There are couple trees or branches sticking out of the water in various places. I worry a little about hitting them when the water level is high enough to cover them. I guess I may need to pay better attention as to where they are in order to avoid them.

I have a friend on the SBR who just took delivery of a all white Malibu MXZ and I may go down there tomorrow to help him break it in.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
I think it usually takes atleast one more rider to break in a boat!!!!
Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-07-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
We will be on the water Sunday if everything goes right and I will be on the look out for you guys!
Attached Images

Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2012, 1:13 PM Reply   
The guy that hit the stump or tree has been going there for 9 years. He said it just all depends. Some years you may hit some stuff and then you could go years without hitting anything. Not his fault though but he knows the river way better than me and it still happened. You defently need to go with someone how know the river though cause some spots are way to shallow to ride.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2012, 1:14 PM Reply   
Good looking boat Dennis.
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-07-2012, 1:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
good to know. question... i was told that the guys that build my dock will take care of all fo teh paper work and permits. is this true? are you building yourself?
You can have someone do the paperwork for you but since I am an engineer and do this type of stuff for a living I figured I would do it myself and not have to pay someone else. I think I am having these guys drive the piles for me http://txdocks.com/Home_Page.html Also the permit process is longer if you are doing a double boat house like mine you have to "rent" the land from the GLO for an additional $25 a month and of course the permit process takes longer
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
TJ - you can go to the Lower San Jacinto river "LSJ". I spoke to you on Tigeowners before. We run the LSJ all the time, it is brackish but no worse then the SBR. It would be nice to see another Tige out there. We did see a Blue N White RZR on Sunday.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-08-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
Dennis, Where was that pic taken at? Nice Boat!
Old     (sawyer1206)      Join Date: Apr 2012       05-08-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenk View Post
Dennis, Where was that pic taken at? Nice Boat!
Lake Dallas in Lewisville Texas. We went and got it over the weekend.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-09-2012, 10:58 AM Reply   
I thought that water looked to clean and nice to be anywhere in Houston!