Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-17-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
So any of you guys have the newer MC's that have the black vinyl inserts? How hot does it get in the dead of summer? Would you recommend for or against it or is pretty sweet?

How crazy would it be to have the whole interior blacked out on a black boat? I live in Michigan, not Texas, so it is not like we have a heat wave all the time...it actually might be beneficial since a lot of days we are out when its chilly but sunny.

thanks for your input!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-17-2013, 3:24 PM Reply   
No Black in the interior of my boat. And I live in Canada. I've had dark brown carpet that would scorch your feet. The black on my bimini gets about 15° hotter than the red.

Probably good if it's raining though.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       10-17-2013, 3:36 PM Reply   
the fabric is fine, does not get that hot but it feels a little weird in a boat. V-man has an X30 down in Phoenix that has the black fabric and I didn't notice any issues with it when I went down to visit them.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-17-2013, 4:24 PM Reply   
Not sure how new you are looking for, but the materials on my '11 X1 look similar to the stuff used on the '14s. That being said, the almost black portion on my seats gets hot, and I bought some extra towels to cover those sections for the more sensitive guests on the boat. (aka women, )

It is tolerable, but it definitely gets hotter. I would never do all black...
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-17-2013, 11:08 PM Reply   
I live in Canada and my whole interior is Carbon Flint and Black. The black is textured which helps keep it cooler. I find when the boat is not moving in the direct son they get hot but any wind or movement and it keeps them a lot cooler. We actually prefer the warmer interior because we ride a lot in the spring and fall.
Attached Images

Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-18-2013, 6:09 AM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback...I think it looks great as an accent in a few places, I can see where it would be a little warm though. I'm probably going to do something similar to the picture with and Orange or lime green piping for an accent color.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-18-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
They new MC vinyl does not get nearly as hot as the older stuff. It is more textured and breathable it seems. It's doesn't have that plasticky feel or look to it. Will it get hot in direct 100 degree heat for sure........any vinyl will, but this new vinyl stays much much cooler to the touch than the old stuff.

While you think it may look similar to the 11 vinyl it's is no where near the same texture, feel, or look in 2013-14 boats. It's a pretty unique vinyl the use. It's almost looks like spandex or nylons as the best description I have to relate it to at the moment.

Last edited by xstarrider; 10-18-2013 at 6:13 AM.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-18-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
I redid my 02 in the new fabric. Its not bad at all but we didn't have alot of 100+ days this year. To me the new black gets about as hot as my old white.

The new white is niceeeeeeeeeee and cool

Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-18-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
How does that new textured vinyl do with dirt and cleanup? I'd imagine the newer white would be pretty hard to keep clean. The off white in my boat with the older style vinyl with "leather" pattern in it is always attracting dirt in those creases. Although i would let anything practical stop me from getting what I liked the look of... We did after all purchase boats.

Last edited by bass10after; 10-18-2013 at 9:46 AM.
Old     (craigtxmc)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-18-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
Man, that 02 X9 upholstery looks really good. Well done sir.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-18-2013, 10:29 AM Reply   
I have had the new type black vinyl in my last 2 MCs. What you should figure on, is this-

The new black vinyl will get about 80-90% as hot, as traditional white vinyl. The dark blue, and dark red, will get about 50-60% as hot, as traditional white vinyl. And the lighter color carbon weave vinyl, just never seems to get hot at all.

I have quite a lot of dark color in my boat. I have never sat down and felt the need to jump back up.

Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-21-2013, 10:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
How does that new textured vinyl do with dirt and cleanup? I'd imagine the newer white would be pretty hard to keep clean. The off white in my boat with the older style vinyl with "leather" pattern in it is always attracting dirt in those creases. Although i would let anything practical stop me from getting what I liked the look of... We did after all purchase boats.
No. Its much easier to keep clean than the older style vinyl. Also looks alot cleaner b/c of the texture.

Quote:
Man, that 02 X9 upholstery looks really good. Well done sir.
Thanks. Didn't turn out half bad for my first install.