Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    marks            07-18-2003, 7:42 AM Reply   
Hi all...

I started a thread just 2 days ago asking about my pending decision on a malibu vs. nautique. It looks like I will likley go with Malibu because the dealer situation is clearly preferable.

I had also asked for any opinions about the VLX vs. LSV - but received no comments on this and I guess it appeared to be a secondary issue in the thread. So now I am starting a new thread on this question!

1. How does the performance compare? The VLX seems to be the most popular - is it because the performance is better, or just less expensive than the LSV?

2. The VLX does NOT come with a wedge as standard and all other wakesetters do. Does anyone know why since the VLX seems to be the premier wakesetter boat?

3. Any other comments on the LSV in general?? There are many comments here on the VLX but not much on the LSV - so I would appreciate hearing about any experiences with this boat.

Thanks !
Old    hockeyruss            07-18-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
Les, the 23' LSV is brand new and no one has tried it yet. As far as the 03 models, the VLX was a much better boat in my opinion. It was the only malibu with a wakeboard specific hull, not a ski hull.

The VLX does not come with a wedge because none of the malibus come with wedge. It is an option on all of them. Plus the VLX wedge is a new design to the VLX hull and was never available until 2002.
I would only look at LSV if I was routinely riding with 13-15 people.

Hope this helps,
Russ
Old    marks            07-18-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
hi russ:

thanks for your information - i was not aware that the VLX is the only boat with a wakeboard hull.

I have the Malibu brochure and actually the VLX is the only wakesetter boat that does not have the wedge as standard equipment. It comes standard on the LSV,and all the xti's.

Now that you mention it - maybe Malibu feels that if the VLX is a wakeboarding hull - it doesnt necessarily need the wedge - but that is only my guess.

Also - wasnt there an '03 LSV?? There must be some readers here who have been on one.

Thanks !
Old    dmpappy            07-18-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
Len-

I have a 2002 Wakesetter LSV. It is a nice boat and I personally like the room associated with the bigger boat.

With regard to wake size/shape. I think you will get more of a "pro caliber wake" with the VLX becasue it will sit deeper in the water due to a smaller displacement. Also, the LSV is wider and will have a wider wake to cross.

I have heard the 2004 LSV is riding on a new hull which does not create as much lift. Hence, sits deeper in the water and makes a bigger wake.

Regards the wedge: Some guys like the shape of the wake on the VLX with additional weight instead of the wedge.

Good luck in your decision. You'll be happy either way. If you don't need the additional room/size of the LSV, spend the add'l 5K for a pumpin stereo system.

Later.
Old    hockeyruss            07-18-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
There was an o3 lsv, but it is totally different from the new "on a wakeboarding hull" 04 lsv. You are correct about the wedge on the wakesetters, it is an option on the responses, sportsters, sunsetters etc. The Wedge does work with the VLX's, although low speed steering and gas mileage definetly take a dive with the wedge deployed. We use it for landlock surfing. Usually wakeboard with just weight on board.
Old     (lchamaschuk)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-18-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
Just expanding on what David said - the wedge makes the wake more vertical, whereas the built in ballast makes the wake more rampy. Depends what you like to ride.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-18-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
My guess is if this is your first wakeboat and you have little boarding experience then you will be quite happy with no ballast at all in a VLX. Hope I did not affend anyone.
I do think that the wedge is an option on all malibu's and Lucky Charms is right on with his ddiscription. I beleive the wedge option is about $1300 and personally I would not get it again.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-18-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
I have owned three Wakesetter VLX's and have rode a 23 lsv (02) and there is no comparison to the difference in the wake. If you are indeed thinking about getting an 03 then get the Wakesetter VLX, but if you are thinking about getting an 04 then I would check out the LSV after all the changes that they have made to it. I personally would rather own a 21' boat over a 23' boat. The wedge isn't standard because Malibu feels that if you are purchasing the VLX then they will weight the boat with water the way that they like. I hope what little information that I provided will help you.

Allen
Old    bobbymucic            07-18-2003, 12:03 PM Reply   
It will probably be easier for you to sell a vlx than a lsv. Something to consider when your next boat buy comes along.
Old    steveaz            07-18-2003, 12:15 PM Reply   
In my experience the wedge makes the VLX one of the most versatile boats out there. HOWEVER, when using the wedge, I don't recommend it with more than 3k in the boat (ballast and passengers), boat weighted pretty evenly cockpit and bow (including ski locker) and wedge deployed. Too much weight in the front and the effective angle of the wedge is too great and it drives like a dog. To much in the rear and the wedge becomes inaffective, and the boat drives like a dog. More than 5 people for the day, don't need it, or release water from your rear tanks to achieve the weighting I previously mentioned.

Both are great boats, love the wake on both, but for me the VLX made more sense in regards to versatility and interior layout. Enjoy your new boat!

Want more specifics let me know.

Steve
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-18-2003, 2:14 PM Reply   
We have the 2000 Escape which is the same as the older LSVs. My general impression is that you'd like the shape and height of a VLX wake better than the wake behind the older LSVs. But if the 04 LSV has a wake friendlier design, there is a lot to be said for the extra room in the bigger boat. Has nothing to do with the quality of your time behind the boat, but since you spend a lot more time sitting in the boat or milling around as riders are changed and equipment is broken out and stored, then boarding, it's worth thinking about.
Old    marks            07-18-2003, 2:48 PM Reply   
thanks again to everyone out here who has replied to this thread - the information has been fantastic !!! I guess what I am planning to do now is wait a couple of weeks to see if I can get any hard views on the new 04 LSV. It seems that the VLX is a clear winner for me over the old LSV's - but the 04 LSV appears to have significant changes which may make it greatly improved. Since it will be out and reviewed by others here within weeks I am sure - I think its a mistake to rush in and purchase a boat now and not wait to see about this new development.

On another note - I was impressed with the fact that I received an email from CC asking me about my post here and offering to help and answer any questions that I may have. Although the CC dealer in my area does not excite me - it certainly is the sign of a great company that they contacted me ! I thought I would add that note for those here who own CC's !

Everyone - have a great weekend !
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-18-2003, 9:52 PM Reply   
okay Len here's the scoop! I owned a 2001 Wakesetter LSV which is on a Diamond hull and sold it only cause a guy offered me enough that I lost no money after a year and now have a 2002 Wakesetter VLX which I have enjoyed during this rainy crappy season we have had. Well since the new LSV will be on a different hull I would really consider it mostly because of the roominess it provides, but if the number of people you carry is limited to 4 or 5 the VLX is the way to go. Lot's of times I just fill the center MLS and drop the wedge and the wake is plenty of amplitude, but on those wilder days we add 2000# and no wedge and BOOM you are way up there, but it's not for beginners. Personally I think the factory ballast and wedge makes plenty of wake and I am an intermediate rider and have pulled some good riders who feel the wake is good that way also. The wedge really makes the boat more versatile than others. You should check www.malibuboatowners.com for some Malibu info. I love my VLX and I liked the LSV only they were not comparable on wake cause the wake on older LSV was huge, but rampy. I would make the number of people you carry a major factor as the LSV will be heavier and use more gas. Malibu makes a great product and dealer attitude is VERY important! Good Luck!
Old    ballast            07-18-2003, 10:29 PM Reply   
VLX
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2003, 8:21 PM Reply   
Mike O- You don't have a clue man, don't you know everyone should buy an X2. So little time so much to learn!
No seriously, the VLX is a great boat. I personally like it weighted down without the wedge.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-20-2003, 8:52 PM Reply   
Wilson-BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU,BUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Old    marks            07-21-2003, 6:39 AM Reply   
thanks again for all the input. has anyone seen any pictures of both the 04 models from this paswt weekend and has any comments.

Also - does anyone know how the new LSV 04 will compare in price to the VLX?

Thanks
Old    karma2burn            08-12-2003, 8:35 AM Reply   
That new 04 LSV with the VLX style hull looks sweet...if you need the people space...that's your boat. Ijust looked at one at the dealer last week...TONS OF ROOM! OTherwise the 21 VLX has an incredible wake...Like Mike-O I prefer weight no wedge.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-12-2003, 8:28 PM Reply   
I saw an 04 today and all I can say is WOW! It was a Response LXI with new graphics, and the interior is WOW! It had a mini tower on it with a new bimini. Wakesetter is supposed to be here Friday. Doing a boat show on the water Sunday. I am thinking of stepping up.