Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-25-2013, 5:36 PM Reply   
To make a long story short I recently purchased a 2012 boat with 19 hours on it from a dealership in Vancouver. I live 12 hours away so the reason I purchased from them is it had the right colors and options I was looking for.
I paid for the boat, and we arranged a mutual meeting point for delivery. At the delivery point it was raining and the cover was on the boat. Being naïve I trusted the reputation of the dealer (and the brand he sells) and took the boat home… here is where everything went downhill.
The boat is missing about 5 grand of options that the dealer committed in writing (email) that the boat would include. He has been very apologetic and promises to rectify however it has now been a month and I have nothing but empty promises and broken commitments.

My question is, “How long do I wait before I invite a lawyer to participate”? I want to be fair and reasonable but…..
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2013, 5:44 PM Reply   
Stop waiting immediately. Spend a few hundred bucks for a lawyer to write a letter now. It will be worth it. A month is long enough. It won't get better with time.
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2013, 10:48 PM Reply   
Don't wait.
Old     (FastR3DN3K)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-25-2013, 11:10 PM Reply   
Call the dealer and inform them that you are tired of waiting and want it fixed immediately. That's nothing more than outright theft, and everyone on this page hates thieves, just go look at the "I hate" thread. Tell them they need to fix it or else you'll be forced to pursue legal action. If that doesn't light a fire under them, then get the lawyer involved.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-26-2013, 6:42 AM Reply   

I will give them the day to rectify, I will spend the afternoon PDF'ing all the emails....
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-26-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
Name said dealer is a start. This is ridiculous! Is it a factory dealer. The longer you wait the more they have taken complete advantage of you. You are going to miss work hand deliver the boat back, and show up with the cops and your lawyer for fun.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-26-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
If he does not come clean shortly I will post the dealerships name, for some reason I am still trying to remain civil about this.

Spoke to a lawyer this am:

Step 1 - Involve the manufacturer
Step 2 - Lawyer is to write letter of demand
Step 3 - Sue

Step 3 gets expensive, hopefully it will not go that far. I sent an email to the manufacturer, wish me luck.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-26-2013, 1:08 PM Reply   
get it done now The longer you wait the harder it will be because you are in essence still using the "product". Take it back to the dealer drop it in the driveway and show up with a legal letter. What options are missing? were the dealer installed options or mfg installed options. That makes bit of a difference. Call your bank immediately and get someone on the line who handles the loans. Tell them they haven't delivered what your ordered yet....if you paid cash well then thats gonna be little tougher.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-26-2013, 1:27 PM Reply   
I sent an email to the manufacturer and I got a reply from thier NW rep within 20 minutes. I sent him my story and a bunch of PDF's emails.

They are too far away to drop it off, its a 22 hour round trip. The only reason I purchased it from them was none of the other dealers had inventory in a color scheme I liked.

I put the proceeds from the sale of my last boat towards this one, so I only wound up borrowing about 18% of the total value, I will give them a call tomorrow if things don't work out with the rep.


AMP/Racks/Swivel Bases/Bow fill cushion/ ballast system/Alarm/Custom spare and rim. All articles I was told in writting that would be there...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-26-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
Damn, that is a lot of crap missing.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-26-2013, 2:27 PM Reply   
Wait... So a guy who sold you at least a $50,000 item and took you money is being non-responsive for a MONTH and you need to be polite (civil) to him? Those kind of people count on non-squeaky wheels in order to get by. There's not a single valid excuse for delivering a boat like that (even more-so with no notice to you) and then delaying with more excuses for a month.

I'd immediately write him a demand for the missing items, bullet-pointed in the letter with a time frame for a written response or work order to install the specific items. I would include and reference a copy of your purchase contract or paperwork showing the missing items as part of the purchase. It would cost you nothing to cc the attorney you spoke to on the bottom of the letter (name, firm & address). State also that the next letter he will get will be from the attorney cc'd in your letter.

It's time to not "cajole" him any longer but give specific demands with specific dates followed by specific consequences/actions on your part. Take charge instead of letting him be in charge. Stick to facts & dates and written correspondence. This is not being unreasonable. It's just doing business firmly and you'll feel much better about it.

Last edited by ottog1979; 06-26-2013 at 2:30 PM.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-27-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Damn, that is a lot of crap missing.

Once this is settled I will author a “what not to do when purchasing as boat” thread, hopefully it becomes a sticky.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       06-28-2013, 4:36 PM Reply   
In my experience if you say you are going to get the Better Business Bureau involved they cater to your needs.

I had a Malibu dealer try to stick me for some shady service work and once they got the letter from the BBB they played nice.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-28-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
I do not know the laws where you are at, or if this is even applicable but in construction a customer only has 60 days to to put in writing all deficiencies of the contractor to be dealt with. If you do not, you have no recourse.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-28-2013, 7:00 PM Reply   
+1 for just dropping the boat off on there lot.... Take a weekend and do it, this is rediculous. At this point, Id just want all of my money back and go somewhere else.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-28-2013, 7:11 PM Reply   
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-29-2013, 6:35 AM Reply   
I have had some great developments with this over the last few days, Nothing on my doorstep yet, but it looks promising.
Old     (Gryphon)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-30-2013, 6:19 AM Reply   
I had a very similar situation to this. The manufacturer helped a lot and then I had another little trick on top of this. If you don't get any where with the rep, pm me and I will give you some further advice.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-30-2013, 6:28 AM Reply   
Thanks Gryphon, hopefully I don't need to
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-09-2013, 12:25 AM Reply   
Heres to hoping you didn't get shafted. Update?
Old     (MNRIDER)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-09-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Thats a shatty situation. I'm looking forward to the (what not to do) thread. Any pointers to share before I make some stupid mistakes buying my boat?
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-13-2013, 6:45 AM Reply   
Got notice that the bags are on thier way, and got a 1000.00 credit on my visa for the spare and bow fill... still waiting for the amp and racks...
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       07-13-2013, 7:07 AM Reply   
Had the same situation from a dealer in Idaho. I tried to play nice for a month then snapped. Got the manufacture involved and it was taken care of. but they did drag their feet.
Old     (Tahoe_MB)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-13-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
I would be worried that the dealer will file bankruptcy. Don't know Canada law but there are steps you can take in the us to get 1 st in line if this were to happen.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-13-2013, 12:56 PM Reply   
Originally Posted by Tahoe_MB View Post
I would be worried that the dealer will file bankruptcy. Don't know Canada law but there are steps you can take in the us to get 1 st in line if this were to happen.
This has crossed my mind many a time.... In reality we are talking about $5000.00 worth of equipment that they sure seem to have trouble sourcing.


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:05 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us