Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-24-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Both are on sale at BIG5 on Black Friday. So, I will be trying to get one of them tomorrow. Likely, the Mossberg 500 or 590.
Old    deltahoosier            11-25-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
if you want to put a pistol grip on your shotgun, the remington is a better way to go. I put on a blackhawk knox stock (springloaded butt and handle to reduce recoil) on my 870 and the position of the safety works with a pistol grip. The mossberg not so much.
Old    deltahoosier            11-25-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Spe...k,1158,165.htm

Stock for your shotgun
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-25-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
I would suggest you stay away from a regular pistol grip for a shotgun and steer you toward what Delta is suggesting. A standard pistol grip shortens the length, but you also lose almost all stability, and retention leverage. Also, your wife will shoot the pistol grip one time and she'll be scared of shotguns- it will ruin her.
They're cool if you're going for the Duke Nukem thing.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-26-2011, 7:05 PM Reply   
870 with light
http://www.surefire.com/ShotgunWeaponLights
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-03-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
#1 complete and #2 underway. These things are addictive!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-21-2012, 10:40 PM Reply   
I ended up buying the mossberg 500. At about $300 it was hard to beat. It's darn fun to shoot with 00 buck shot. It's very clear why you all said it would be a fine home defense gun. I think I am keeping the stardard stock. Delta, what was your link pointing at? I am adding a flashlight and a heat sheild. Still searching. Ordered a small rail to attach the flashlight.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-22-2012, 2:45 AM Reply   
I went to the movies tonight and noticed Brad Pitt in a poster with a mossberg 500 with the pistol grip. I will stay with the traditional stock because I am not doing a movie.
Attached Images

Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-22-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
2 things every home should have IMPO. The dog has never not worked. Our first house was in a very questionable neighbor hood. Houses always getting broken into. Ours never!! This big guy did the trick VERY well. My wife is a LEO and carries the glock 19 @ work and is very proficient with it. That being said it is in the gun safe at night because waking up in the middle of nite under the stress of someone in your home changes things. A shotgun is the best weapon for home defense IMPO.
Now on a side note looking to get our first AR. You guys are obviously into the AR scence so where should I start? Thanks
Attached Images

Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-22-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
I ended up buying the mossberg 500. At about $300 it was hard to beat. It's darn fun to shoot with 00 buck shot. It's very clear why you all said it would be a fine home defense gun. I think I am keeping the stardard stock. Delta, what was your link pointing at? I am adding a flashlight and a heat sheild. Still searching. Ordered a small rail to attach the flashlight.
Have you put many shells thru your's yet? I picked up a 18.5" 870 while back and joined a local outdoor range. Have been dropping in at the range and trying different shells. A 3" 00 buckshot packs some punch. So does 3" slugs (way fun to hit something with those), I've been working thru my stash of 3" and going shorter. Less kick and borderline wife friendly. At 20ft not like there is any real difference between the two loads. Even started to look at 20 gauges for in the house and range use.

Have left mine stock, thinking a light attachment would be a good Christmas idea for it. I know the wife has a few AR goodies for me, maybe I can talk her into some for the 870.

Would love to find a local shotgun defense class to take too. Our range hosts pistol defense classes but not long gun ones. So far I'm keeping my PMR30 as first choice in the house, and then the 12 gauge loaded with 00 2 3/4" shells.
Old     (mikes)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-22-2012, 3:16 PM Reply   
Sean,
Not sure if you are aware or not but there are several companies marketing" low recoil" self defense loads in 2-3/4 "00" buckshot and slugs. I keep the Winchester Rangers in my home defense gun. Low recoil rounds may help the wife get more comfortable shooting.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-22-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
For home defense I'd use regular bird shot. 9 out 10 times the gun will scare them off. Horrible situation if you have to fire and if you do you don't want the buckshot going through your drywall and hitting the people you're trying to protect. At that range bird shot is gonna be pretty compact anyways and it won't go through drywall for the most part. Just something to keep in mind.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-22-2012, 5:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes View Post
Sean,
Not sure if you are aware or not but there are several companies marketing" low recoil" self defense loads in 2-3/4 "00" buckshot and slugs. I keep the Winchester Rangers in my home defense gun. Low recoil rounds may help the wife get more comfortable shooting.
Yep, have some. Still kinda leaning towards a 20 gauge for her. Its an excuse to go gun shopping if nothing else.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-22-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperkinsttu View Post
For home defense I'd use regular bird shot. 9 out 10 times the gun will scare them off. Horrible situation if you have to fire and if you do you don't want the buckshot going through your drywall and hitting the people you're trying to protect. At that range bird shot is gonna be pretty compact anyways and it won't go through drywall for the most part. Just something to keep in mind.
From the research I've done you need to be right on top of someone for bird shot to put them down. Given a little distance and a heavy jacket, there is likely no critical wounds center mass. 00 is going to to stop them dead, so would a bit lighter load. Going to stay with 00 and low recoil shells. Wife is an ER nurse, she's help clean bird shot out before, she's never help clean buck shot out before.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       11-24-2012, 9:40 PM Reply   
Dont know if you are still looking for your girl, but I just picked up a Sig Sauer P238 for her which shoots the .380. She had looked at all the different small pistols that she could keep in her purse. S&W, Tarus, Ruger etc. And was about to get one of the bodyguard series revolvers because most of the autos the slide was to hard for her to operate. The Sig was by far the easiest auto for her to work, so id atleast look into that. My dealer said that is currently Sigs best selling pistol and even I had fun with it. Just thought Id throw in my 2 cents.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-25-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by calexan View Post
Dont know if you are still looking for your girl, but I just picked up a Sig Sauer P238 for her which shoots the .380. She had looked at all the different small pistols that she could keep in her purse. S&W, Tarus, Ruger etc. And was about to get one of the bodyguard series revolvers because most of the autos the slide was to hard for her to operate. The Sig was by far the easiest auto for her to work, so id atleast look into that. My dealer said that is currently Sigs best selling pistol and even I had fun with it. Just thought Id throw in my 2 cents.
We have a couple .380s at home I like them, wife is ok with them. I have played around with the P238 in a shop and really liked it. We keep meaning to go demo one for her. I like the idea of staying with a round we all ready have in the house. She likes my .22WMR pistol but its full sized, not really a carry around piece.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-26-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
Sean, http://www.centertargetsports.com/ed...l.cfm?co_id=12

This range is about 10 min. from me. I have taken several classes and the instructor if awesome. You are always welcome to stay with us if you want to make the trip over.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-26-2012, 10:29 AM Reply   
I'm in the shotgun camp but for the gun pron factor in this thread, I picked up 2 vz. 58 kits at an election day sale. From the former Czechoslovakia 7.62X39mm, lighter and more accurate than an AK but has a milled receiver. Obviously waiting on my 922r compliance parts, California compliance parts, and receivers, which I'm milling on my friends CNC.

Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-26-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_ssr View Post
Remind me what gun this is again?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-26-2012, 3:27 PM Reply   
JG - Sick! When do we take it to the range?? I owe you a range fee. :-)
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-26-2012, 10:20 PM Reply   
Got a rail for my mossberg. Next up a flashlight. Let me know if you you have a favorite...
Attached Images

Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-28-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
Thats is a Keltec RFB 7.62 bullpup

J - This is the 7.62 I was referring to when I said I didn't bring the bigger stuff. Garland wont let you shoot anything .30 cal and up. We would have to go to Sanger. I need a new optic for it anyway. You probably remember this optic setup is currently on my PS90.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-29-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Cool man. This gun is sick! I talked to the Garland Range. Judge came out last week and is now hiring "experts" to make a ruling on the place. They won't know anything on a decision until January.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-01-2012, 2:40 AM Reply   
Picked up a 190 lumen Nebo for my shotgun...
Attached Images