Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-03-2010, 5:21 AM Reply   
I have a 2003 malibu wakesetter 23 xti. I was wondering how much weight you can put in the back hack. I know the gas tank is underneath it and have been told that you can't put much weight there. However, just wondering if anyone had experience with it..
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-03-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
I don't care how much wake you get, you still won't catch me!
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-03-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
I have the same boat and was thinking about putting weight in the back locker also. Where did you hear you cant put much weight there, and what is the reasoning? I would think the gas tank is pretty strong is the floor of the locker resting directly on the tank with no structure holding it up?
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-03-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
first of all rodo, you're just jealous... and tyler....I am not really sure actually who told me that... just heard it a couple of times..I am not sure about the structure..
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-03-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
hmm this is a project that I was planning on tackling this weekend. I will let you know what I end up doing because I might take the thing apart so I can hide my weights. What were you planning on using for extra weight? I guess you could do what we have been doing for a while just buy a couple cases of beer and all your fat nonwakeboarding friends will show up and add some weight lol.
Old     (06aw)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-03-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
LD, you know I will be this summer! Atleast I will get to work on my surfin though
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-03-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
There is a sticker in the rear locker telling you not the exceed 50 pounds or something like that. We take a 350 launch pad sac meant for the front ski locker and put it back there.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-03-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
"There is a sticker in the rear locker telling you not the exceed 50 pounds or something like that."

I call BS. Put a honda civic back there. should give you some great wakes.

any information given is strickly prohibited by law according to governing secion a.13g section t article 13g. and should be regarded as absolute crap...
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-04-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
Tyler.. I was thinking about either finding a sac that would fit nicely or just using lead so I can still have a little storage back there.... malibu.. I don't guess you have had any troubles with that sac being back there, have ya?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-04-2010, 12:35 PM Reply   
lifetime, if you put a hybrid on the back instead of the Civic can you use it to power your stereo?
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
ha, well i look at it every time we put the sack back there lifetime and think "maybe this is a bad idea". But nope, we haven't had an problems yet L.D.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-04-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
Seriously, I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with weight there.

Isn't the motor there on the 23 foot v-drive model?
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-04-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
The XTI is a direct drive...or at least mine is. The fuel tank is under the back locker.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-04-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
In my rlx it says not to exceed I think it's 200 or 150 or something like that. The floor is not very strong and will end up putting stress on the components on your gas tank that are on the top of it. Some people have reinforced the floor with some stronger stuff to hold more weight though. Go to themalibucrew.com and search there are plenty articles on this over there.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-04-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
So, I guess I was wrong - Is the equivalent V-drive model that much different back there structurally?

Seems the stringers and hull/floor would be similar.

(and yes, I realize the XTI is a direct drive, that is why I was wondering about the 23 foot v-drive - I figured it was the same hull, but with the engine back there, it must be able to handle some weight...)

I thought that the wakesetter XTI's could come with factory ballast also.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-04-2010, 6:52 PM Reply   
it does come with factory ballast.. I have two in the rear and one in the center... but just trying to add more weight...
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-05-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
The problem is that the back locker is sitting ontop of the fuel tank and I think that the floor for the locker is resting directly on it with no structure supporting it except some small angle brackets(I think its been a while since I have looked in there. As sippi said the problem is putting stress on the components of your fuel tank. Sorry I did not understand your question and I am not sure if they are the same hull all I know is it takes a ****load of weight in the back of the xti's to get a good wake. The factory ballest, a driver, and spotter is not anywhere near enough.
Old     (rbrandon)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-10-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
I guess I can just come ride with you this season! That will put enough weight back there LOL!
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-10-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
ha ha..not losing weight like you have been...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-11-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
My 2001 Sunsetter LXI has a floor placed on the fuel tank. The barefoot boom resting on the floor distorted the floor and the rear sack caused the ends to deflect.

Newer boats have a sticker stating 75# max storage and that excess weight can cause the fuel tank to rupture.

I've been exceeding that for years but I'm now questioning the risks.

Some people have placed supports to transfer the load to the floor. Sounds like something to look into.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-12-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
just curious.. how are they adding extra support?
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-18-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
so tyler did you tackle that project and figure anything out?
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-18-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Yeah I took the back locker apart to see what I was dealing with. The floor of the locker rest directly on the factory ballast tanks with no support what so ever. After I found this out I decided against adding weight in that locker. I think what I will end up doing is taking the floor of the locker out and removing the factory ballast and installing my own that will fill up the whole locker. Can not decide if I want to give up that storage space tho.