Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
The second annual American Wakesurf Association (AWSA) and National Wakeboard League (NWL) National Wakesurfing Championship was held on August 16th at Griggs Reservoir Park, in Columbus, Ohio. The competition was hosted by the Ohio Board Sports Club. American Wake Surf Association rules were used and the AWSA oversaw the officiating. The NWL provided sanctioning and the framework to hold grass roots competitions.

Competitors came from the near by Columbus area, Dayton, Michigan, Florida and California. Mini-Kahuna, Men’s, Women’s, Master’s, Men’s Open Surf, Women’s Open Surf, Women’s Open Skim, and Longboard divisions competed.

Below are the competitive results:
…Mini-Kahuna
……1) Eva Schottenstein
……2) Aspen Snyder

…Men’s
……1) Chad Brown
……2) Kory Klosterman
……3) Joe Bodie

…Women’s
……1) Jordan Lausch
……2) Michelle Metzger
……3) Rachel Brown
……4) Ali Lausch

…Master’s
……1) Scott Culp
……2) Jim Gilliam
……3) Jeff Walker
……4) Judy Walker
……5) Ed Sulllivan

…Men’s Open Surf
……1) James Walker
……2) Corey Snyder
……3) Robbie Gordon

…Women’s Open Surf
……1) Jessica Oswald
……2) Noelle Snyder

…Women’s Open Skim
……1) Bri Chmel
……2) Jacqueline Crocce
……3) Kayley Gordon
……4) Jessica Oswald
……5) Noelle Snyder

…Longboard
……1) James Walker
……2) Jessica Oswald
……3) Robbie Gordon
……4) Ed Sullivan
……5) Jeff Walker
……6) Judy Walker
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-17-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
Congrats to all! Can't wait to see the pics
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
Nationals Competitors and Officials
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
Eva
Upload
Aspen
Upload
On the podium
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 6:29 PM Reply   
Men's

Chad
Upload
Kory
Upload
Joe
Upload
On the podium
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
Women's

Jordan
Upload
Michelle
Upload
Rachel
Upload
On the Podium
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
Master's

Scott
Upload
Jim
Upload
Jeff
Upload

On the podium
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
Men's Open Skim

James
Upload
Corey
Upload
Robbie
Upload

On the Podium
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
Women's Open Surf

Jessica
Upload
Noelle
Upload

On the podium
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
Women's open Skim

Bri
Upload
Jacqueline
Upload
Kayley
Upload
On the podium
Upload
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
Hey Ed, great event. You put on a "Really Big Shoe". It was very nice that every contestant won a prize. Kayley and we were very excited about her finishing third in a division that included the top three women at last year's world championships. Not bad for a ten year old competing with twenty year old surfers. We were also very happy with Rob's two third place finishes. There was good competition in all divisions.

I think the Walker Project riders get the award for having the biggest smiles on their faces.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Prizes were randomly awarded.

Jacqueline wins an Inland Surfer 4 Skim
Upload

Jessica wins a Fresh Air Exhaust. The FAE is about this tall, right Jessica? Larry Mann at FAE will make a system for Jessica's boat.
Upload

Korry won a SMED Wombat
Upload

Michelle won a XXX board from the Wake Outlaws.
Upload

Surf Ohio donated a set of T-shirts
Upload

Quick Silver donated a backpack and clothing
Upload

Red Bull was there for us.
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Jim Gilliam as well as Noelle and Corey Snyder provided their personal boats to tow at Nationals.

Big thanks for providing great boats. Jim made several home made skim boards a few years ago. Jim labeled his boards "Straight Tripp'n". Jim brought his boat all the way down from Detroit Michigan. Thanks Jim!

The Snyders run a wake camp, the Midwest Wake Camp, in August each year. They also helped promote by inviting Columbus 10 TV's Jeff Hogan out for a story before Nationals. Corey, Aspen, and Noelle demonstrated their wakesurf skills for 10 TV. Then Noelle demonstrated her excellent coaching skills, teaching Mr. Hogan to free ride in about four pulls. We also had event day coverage from 10 TV. Thanks guys!
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
James and Kayley were both on the evening and morning channel 10 news. I'm trying to find the online video. If I can't find it, I'll try to get it off my Tivo and post it to youtube.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-17-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
I missed all of the coverage. I'd love to see it. Jeff said that he'd post the promo spot but can't find it.
Old    surfdad            08-18-2008, 3:48 AM Reply   
Great contest Ed, truly well done and a great time.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-18-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
It looks like all the guys in the mens open skim pics are holding SURF style boards How did that work? Doesn't the awsa have a size regulation for surf/skim style?
Old    surfdad            08-18-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
I think it's just a typo Drew.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Drew, the picture was a typo. It should have said Surf. But under AWSA there is no distinction between boards. As you stated in the Rules thread "Bring what you ride and your best game and let loose." Style divisions are all about how you ride the board, not what board you are riding. If you want to ride a 9 foot board in a skim division, so be it but I think you will have a hard time doing shuvs and spins. It you can do better "skim style" tricks on 9 foot board than all of the other riders on 4 ft skim boards, then you win the skim competition.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Typo - my bad. We had no Men's Open Skimboard entries.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-18-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Ok that makes since. I was wondering about that. COngrats on the succesful event it looks like it was fun.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2008, 3:15 PM Reply   
Good Times, Good Times.

Great event and very nice people.

For all the people that look at these event threads and think they can't, well go for it even if it's just for fun and meeting new people. Seeing the tricks the pro's land is inspiring. Lots to work on...

The pro's, James, Corey, Robbie landed some mind-blowing tricks. I look forward to seeing the video clip from the newscast in Columbus.

Good luck to everyone at Worlds! I'm gonna try to get some local riders and head down to support the sport and riders.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2008, 7:22 PM Reply   
Here are some riding pictures.

Aspen
Upload
Upload

Eva
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
Chad
Upload
Upload
Upload

Corey
Upload

Joe
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Jordan
Upload
Upload
Upload

Michelle
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Rachel
Upload
Upload

Ali
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
James
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Corey
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Robbie
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Scott
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Jim
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Jeff
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Judy
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Ed
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
Jessica
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Noelle
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bri
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Jac
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Kayley
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
James is a rock star! If this is the national championship how come some of the pro riders weren't there like Drew?
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-19-2008, 3:46 PM Reply   
Can't answer your question about the men's division but the women's open division was loaded with the best women riders in the country. The women really rock!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-19-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Hate N Pain

I’m going to primarily speak for myself here but I think I can also speak for the American Wakesurf Association.

Folks like he good people at Centurion and Jerry Price for example have done a lot create a new sport, wakesurfing.

We are trying to help grow the sport. We have received tremendous support from the National Wakeboard League/USA Wakeboard. The NWL provides the tools needed to run clinics and sanction events.

In 2007, Chris Walker, the Chair of the National Wakeboard League (NWL) and Vice President of USA Wakeboard, invited us to hold a National competition along with the NWL Wakeboard Nationals and USA Wakeboard Nationals. This year’s competition is the second annual event. For 2009 USA Wakeboard has included a wakesurfing requirement for the National bid package. The winning venue must also support wakesurfing.

This year we began building the foundation for a national series. This year wakesurfing state championships were held in Indiana, Ohio, Minnesota, Northern Californian, and Texas. Over the last few years we’ve also organized Surf and Turf clinics to also help grow the sport. We have several prospects for competitions in additional states and regions next year.

We’ve developed and published rules, we’ve developed a portion of the iDrive, drivers training program for wakesurfing. We have projects in the works as well. We’re also spending a fair amount of effort working on water ways legislative issues.

Last weekend Chris Walker called inform us that the IWSA voted and added wakesurfing to their program. We will work with the IWSA to define the sport under their system. We have an opportunity to form the foundation of a sport under an organization that participates on the Olympic Committee.

We’re very much a grass root organization. Heck, at Nationals I asked locals to bring a covered dish to share for lunch, how grass roots is that? Still though, our interest and passion for the sport is very strong. We’ll continue to enjoy wakesurfing and share the stoke, hold “Surf and Turf” clinics, and run competitions.

We’d be delighted to see more participation at all levels.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-19-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
Minor disclaimer… We spoke with the Wake Outlaws several times about their competitions. They put on a tremendous event, the Texas Wakesurf Championship. We like to think that they are part of the series with us but our affiliation with the Wake Outlaw event is fairly casual. Again the Wake Outlaws put on a killer event. They were great hosts and I had an excellent time. I’m looking forward to going to Nashville in three weeks.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
I see so their are a few different sanctions. I appreciate what you guys are doing for the sport it's great maybe in a few years we can have an event up here in the northwest. I'm glad to see your working with training drivers too. I have/teach a very specific way of driving my boat when waited down for surfing.