Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-31-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
We are thinking about building at "the lake" and there is a hill that has me concerned.
Upload
( it looks much steeper going down)
Often, without towing, I will shift to 1st gear and coast making it most of the way down without touching the breaks.
the details:
F150 with 4wd
the trailer tandom axle with breaks
the road is crushed stone.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
Do you have a transfer case (low range)?
My truck in low range will pull almost anything up almost anything, and going back down I
barely need to use the brakes.

(Message edited by rio_sanger on January 31, 2008)
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-31-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
Get a Diesel.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-31-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
just try it. either you make it or you dont. haha. ive done traveled some roads much more hairy than that with a econoline 250 2 wheel drive
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-31-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
I don't think it'll be a problem. Might take 4wd to do it going up. And 1st gear or low range coming down.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       01-31-2008, 8:49 PM Reply   
That hill isn't bad at all.. I dont suspect you will have any issues at all.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-31-2008, 10:04 PM Reply   
I do plan on using 4wd low to go up and down.
I was more conerned about starting to skid and loosing control. once that starts, things could get ugly real quick.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-31-2008, 10:34 PM Reply   
from that pic, depends on whats behind you! if you got plenty of room, then it won't a big deal.

(Message edited by denverd1 on January 31, 2008)
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-31-2008, 11:41 PM Reply   
my rav4 could tow a boat up that any day LOL I am assuming the pics dont do it justice?
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-31-2008, 11:48 PM Reply   
if that is your biggest challenge is that mole hill..by all means BUILD IT, and they will come!
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-01-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Looks ok to me..maybe the pic doesnt show the entire climb. But by the looks of it I am pretty sure my 1/2 ton Z71 could go up and down pulling my Centurion without having to use 4 wheel at all. But I know pics sometimes look really different in person. Best of luck. If you are going down and start to slide dont try and bull dog it! Let off the brake a little and ride it out till you get to more of a flat spot.
Old     (azpowerhouse)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-01-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
Well what are the alternatives!?! GIVE IT A TRY!!
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-02-2008, 3:06 AM Reply   
The picture does not really show how steep the hill is, and the very steep droppoff on the right of the road.

Once I am down the hill it will be all good.
the boat ramp/dock and the barn will be down low.

I did not know if someone on here had any tricks to make it down a steep grade, like dropping the air in the tires to 20 psi or adjusting the brakes on the trailer.

I am just nervous bout doing this the first time.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       02-02-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
Seems like you are really over worrying about this. In the UK we tow with much smaller cars and engines - I wouldn't think twice about going up there so long as you know the road and have surveyed the risks (sounds like you have).

Don't sweat it.. I get the feeling this is coming down to your confidence more than the vehicles ability - maybe you should try and find someone locally who has some experience of towing and seek a little guidance?
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-02-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Try it first with someone else's boat.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-02-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
Mike, going down the hill the surge brakes are going to be on some and that will slow the trailer. With a 4wd in low range you won't have to use any brakes on the truck. You'll be going so slow, if you wnat that there is no worry about losing control.
When you are on gravel you get more braking affect if the wheels lock up so don't worry if they do. The added surface area of the gravel piling up gives you increased surface area and that's why the brakes work better. ABS on gravel can be really scary but that can't be on if you are in 4wd. If a gravel road feels scary with ABS in won't be nearly as bad without it.
I don't know if that helps. Usually lowering tire pressure won't matter on gravel.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-02-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
That hill doesn't look bad at all, my parents drive way is steeper than that and they don't have any problem backing our boat up it.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-02-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Just take it slow so you stay in control. No need to drop any air pressure or anything if you take it slow. You're probably worrying too much over nothing.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-02-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
You mention a drop off as the gravel road meets the main road, is your trailer going to make that drop off, or is the prop guard going to scrape? I would be inclined to pull the unloaded trailer down the drop off if it is drastic enough to cause a problem.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-02-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
You should be fine going down. Don't let your truck gain tomuch speed to where you have to apply the brake sfast. In my travels we have done things like this and worse on gravel. Just lightly keep pressure on the brakes so you never get to where you have to lock them up. Other than that Giver H*LL.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-02-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
If your that concerned you could also consider a brake controller so that you could manually add more trailer brakes slowing the decent while retaining steerage.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-02-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
I would definitely make sure your trailer breaks are adjusted up properly. Other than that just take it slow. Good trailer breaks will really help.