Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-11-2006, 2:45 AM Reply   
I just got this in the mail. It's got the latest update on the closing dates for San V due to both the marina access road construction and the dam raising.

1/07-4/07 - Closed Monday-Friday due to construction activity near the marina access road

Early/mid 2008-2013 - Completely closed for dam raise construction and concrete curing

2014-2017 - Boating will resume as soon as water level reaches new boat launch

It does not paint a very pretty picture for wakeboarding on fresh water in San Diego. There is no mention of alternative bodies of water being opened.

You can go to www.sdcwa.org for more info or call 877-426-2010 to be added to a mailing list that will receive updates.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-11-2006, 4:55 AM Reply   
Dave,

I got the same e-mail too. Not real clear on some things.

I still have not heard if they are going to open up for us prior to summer (May). Has anyone else heard anything? I may drive up one of these days and see what the Rangers can tell me. Like you said Dave, not a pretty picture.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-11-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
This SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-11-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
El Cap was fun last weekend but that lake is probably horrible with more than 10 boats on it. San V is totally closed for water contact right now right? That was the last that I news that I got. Oh well El Cap is going to have to work for the winter. Might be worth just selling the boat after that. It an 05 Air Nautique 206 with a salt water coolent system in it all prepaired for "turd bay". Oh well.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-11-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
damn, that truly sucks.

you guys could always hit up elsinore channel. it could be a big party every weekend out there.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-11-2006, 11:46 PM Reply   
I drive by Elsi every morning going to work and the entire lake is glass....not just the channel.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-12-2006, 12:08 AM Reply   
yeah, but not many of you ride in the winter.

also, have you ridden the main lake in the spring/summer/fall?
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-12-2006, 12:11 AM Reply   
cant ride the main lake in the summer.... I would ride now...in a dry suit. Just too busy with double shifts and Christmas musical at the moment.
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-12-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
What is the water temp at Elsi? Is it open for water contact all days?

(Message edited by rothy on December 12, 2006)
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
Water temp in Elsinore is 59 degrees as of Friday. Water can change quick with cool nights. The lake is shallow than most around so day and night temps affect it more. This time of year is awesome...no sea don'ts, hardly any boats and it can be glass from sun up to sun down. Open everyday no restrictions and the water has been pretty nice without a big algae bloom this year.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-12-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
The word from one of the rangers about two months ago was that the city is researching and reviewing some alternate locations for recreation while San V is closed. The San V waterskiers (those that are regulars on the back course) have been working with the city on this subject. (I wish us wakeboarders were similarly involved.) As of two months ago, the leading candidate was Otay. I do worry about that lake being in the open where the breeze can chew up the water but it's better than nothing.

I occasionally email the city thanking them for their regular San V updates and indicating that there is immense interest in the community in an alternate location. It never hurts to keep the bug in their ear. They always respond that no decision has been made but that an alternate is under consideration.

The official San V Dam Raise web site is noted below. One can sign up for the email news updates there.

http://www.sdcwa.org/infra/esp-sanvicentedamraise.phtml
Old     (rothy)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-12-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
Christy,
Thanks for the info on Elsi. I think that we might make the drive up there sometime.

Dennis,
I would love if they opened Otay. I could almost hit it with a rock from my roof. Have you filled out that survey about what San V means to you and stuff? It gives us a little bit of a voice and a chance to win a $50 gift certificate to a sporting goods store.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-12-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
Yes, I filled out the survey. I encourage everyone here to do so.
Old     (brody)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-12-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
That stinks, I used to love to ride there.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-12-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
Brian if you ever want , we go to elsi often, either san v or elsi are the same drive for me, you can catch a ride with us. We we get the channel pass on sundays, usually mondays in the winters the pass is not needed.
Email if your interested.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-13-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
The objective of the San Diego County Water Authority is clear. Is is spelled out in their annual report @ http://www.sdcwa.org/news/

The key message at the above link is the Mission Statement of the Water Authority (the controlling entity here):

For more than 60 years, the San Diego County Water Authority has moved
forward with diligence and purpose to carry out its mission of providing
a safe and reliable water supply to the San Diego region.......In fiscal 2005, the Water Authority awarded a contract for its largest
construction project in Water Authority history, the San Vicente Pipeline,
a critical piece of the Emergency Storage Project that will ensure water
reliability in the wake of a natural disaster.

Good for our water supply but bad news for recreation. BUT WAIT IT GETS WORSE!

I would expect little to no cooperation from the Water Authority in the future. The revenue from Water recreation isn't worth their time and the leadership of the Board of Directors sees recreation as a liability, not a necessary public service. I'm all for change and will help with the fight but I don't hold out high hopes.

INSTEAD...I took a different route. My wife and I purchased a vacation home on the Lower Colorado. We (Family and crew) now have access to great water 24/7/365 without buying permits, wait in long launch lines or having to get up at o' dark thirty to even get on the lake before the limit gets hit. I jump in the car and in three hours...Paradise. Gotta love AZ.