Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (determination)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-14-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
-Thomas Horrell sent me this forward it reads as follows:

>IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT
>PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL
>COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES.
>
>AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER
>4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES.
>
>THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT UP THEIR behind "
>DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE
>THAT DAY.
>
>THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY
>PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT.
>
>WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT
>GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT
>THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?
>
>REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE
>SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE
>FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS
>SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES
>ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO!
>
>WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE
>WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
>
>SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU
>KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE
>UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"
>
>

Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-14-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
This is something that has been proposed many times in the past.

Even if all the people in the country got 100% behind it, it still wouldn't impact the oil companies at all. 99% of the people would either buy gas the day ahead or stretch things until the next day, either way the weekly/monthly volume of gasoline that the oil company sells would be roughly the same.

The gas stations, if they could actually count on it, would probably love it. They just close for the day and go fishing. Or wakeboarding.

The only ones who would feel any pain at all would be the people who actually had to buy gas that day (like people who had to travel farther than a tanks worth) and found the gas stations closed.

Now, if instead you got a significant number of the people to not DRIVE that day, then it would impact the amount of gasoline used and that would ripple back to the oil company.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-14-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
not gonna happen
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-14-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
Even if we don't buy gas on that day, the day before everyone will load up and it will mot make a difference.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-14-2004, 1:49 PM Reply   
Rod is right. Simply staying home is the only way. I could handle that actually.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-14-2004, 1:52 PM Reply   
Damn when are you people going to learn! That e-mail is only good for one thing...SPAM! That original e-mail is just collecting e-mails nothing else.

That always makes me laugh, seriously do you people believe it? Its kind of like that e-mail that was circulating a while back about Bill Gates will send you a check if you forward this to X number of people. And people always wonder why they always get SPAM.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on May 14, 2004)
Old    norcal_99            05-14-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
It is true that the original email is for collecting email addresses for SPAM.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-14-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Meanwhile the oil companies are enjoying record breaking profits. Bush isn't going to do squat about the oil prices. He's making money hand over fist. His business is oil.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-14-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
My parents also work in the oil business. muahahahaha
Old     (determination)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-14-2004, 9:26 PM Reply   
yeah i know i thought about it.. people woudl buy the day ahead or something.. but I still wanted to post it
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-15-2004, 11:41 AM Reply   
All I have to say is that in CA we pay 35 cents per gallon in TAX....! That's 17 - 25% taxation depending on whatever the currently inflated price is...

http://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/gasoline_taxes.html
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-15-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
yup, not buying the gas won't matter, not driving would matter. If everybody decided to not drive for that one day that would be something, but even with an aggressive campaign to promote a no drive day I would still be surprised to see more than a 1% participation nationally.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       05-15-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
Ok, instead of not buying gas for a day, how about if everybody in the country refuses to buy gas from Exxon - Mobile for a week or two. Watch them drop their prices like a rock and thier competitors will have to follow suit
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
Yes, great idea. Then when one goes out of business, there are fewer gas stations to go to, creating more of a monopoly, and being able to charge higher prices. That'll show 'em.
Old    murrayair            05-15-2004, 6:13 PM Reply   
I personally favor the idea of taking over Saudi Arabia, siezing their oil, and telling OPEC to shove all their regulations and restrictions up their rears.

But I suppose that will never happen, at least until I am president, lol.
Old    texastech            05-15-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
Whatever, may 19 is my birthday and i am going camping in powell, i will buy tons of gas for my riding enjoyment...better enjoy life as much as you can!!!
Old    proskier            05-15-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
well, im just gonna go w/ this one:

"I personally favor the idea of taking over Saudi Arabia, siezing their oil, and telling OPEC to shove all their regulations and restrictions up their rears. "
Old     (determination)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-17-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
I third that idea haha
Old     (hoser325)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-18-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
why pick on saudi arabia? things are screwed up enough over there already, right? we've got our own oil(alaska). unfortunatley, our own government would rather sell it to far-eastern countries than let us access it. The problem lies within our own government, not saudi arabia. Just a thought.
Old    cryft            05-18-2004, 9:02 PM Reply   
Wouldn't not buying gas or not driving just make the oil companies rase their prices to compensate for lost profits? Eventually everyone would have to buy gas for work or w/e and they would have to pay just as much if not more in the end.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2004, 11:42 PM Reply   
I second that Rhett!!

(Message edited by Laptom on May 18, 2004)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-19-2004, 12:15 AM Reply   
I just realized that I'm going to have to fill up today (Wednesday). Hopefully I won't have any lines at Costco today if everyone else is participating in the boycott!