Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    wakesurf2004            08-23-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
Today The World Wakesurfing Championships and Boardstock has officially switched locations. Still to be hosted in Stockton, CA Boardstock and the World Wakesurfing Championships will now be held at Lewis Park in Stockton, CA.

"Since BoardStock is bigger and better then ever, the city has moved the event to a great new location at Louis Park Peninsula. We are very excited to be able to use this beautiful, well accommodated park on the Delta. It is located just 4 miles NW of our previous location," explains a Boardstock representative.

The event schedule for the World Wakesuring Championships and Boardstock has not changed at all, just the location. Please visit www.boardstock.com for directions to the new location at Lewis Park. A map showing the new location can be found at boardstock.com.

For information on the World Wakesurfing Championships please visit www.centurionboats.com/WAKE_SURF/.

(Message edited by wakesurf2004 on August 23, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-23-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
i apologize for posting a link to another site, but here's what people think about corpstock...errr, boardstock.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=30970
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-24-2004, 5:46 AM Reply   
Boardstock this year will be even MORE organized with a move one week before the SHOW (not Event). Just Kidding, maybe thay will move to another park by friday.
Old     (h20diva)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-24-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
So are they relying on people to keep checking their website for updates that they moved locations??? I think it's all a scam if you ask me....

(Message edited by h20diva on August 24, 2004)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2004, 10:25 AM Reply   
Nice!

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
They still haven't released a list of riders (WAKEBOARDERS)!
Old    jetgofish            08-24-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
h20diva ... maybe we should talk the guys into forgoing BS and hit the Isle and a great day of riding ???

J-Rod on the BS website they have only 3 riders listed....
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-24-2004, 11:24 AM Reply   
woohoo 3 whole riders! If they ask nmicely enought i'll ride! plus i want a percent of ticket sales!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-24-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
teri, where do you see that?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
LOL-

According to the "event info" there is all of 2 total hours of Wakeboarding ( one hour each day )... What kind of event is this again???
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2004, 2:07 PM Reply   

quote:

What kind of event is this again???

"corpstock - an event for riders, put together by people who don't know jack about wakeboarding!"
Old    chavezychavez            08-24-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
Oh man do I hope the Boardstock folks read these forums!

Read and learn, read and learn!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
i doubt they do. otherwise, the event wouldn't have been f'ed up over the last 2 or 3 years.

i doubt they care anyway. all they care about is the dolla-dolla, bling-bling.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-24-2004, 3:22 PM Reply   
Alright, I finally feel the need to chime in on the subject of Boardstock. Normally I don't care to get involved in most of the discussions on WW, but I am just so disappointed in the opinions of many of my fellow wake boarders that I had to say something to ease my mind.

It is really disappointing to read all of the negative comments in regards to the Boardstock event. While I realize that the event has lost the positive vibe that existed when it was held at Lake Shasta, I don't think any of the negative criticisms are lending to improving the event in any way. I think that constructive criticism in regards to how to improve the event would be much more beneficial than what I've read on WW and other wakeboard forums.

I have yet to hear one person make a suggestion to improve Boardstock other than to move it back to Shasta, which isn't going to happen, or to eliminate the corporate sponsors and peripheral extreme sports that will coexist at the event. These aren't realities and will never happen.

If it is the name "Boardstock" that the event organizers have given the event that is causing so much negative criticism, then maybe a new name would eliminate all of the complaints. Perhaps that would make a clean break from the glorious past of Lake Shasta and allow the event to develop a tradition of its own.

I don't think most of you realize the planning and time that goes into organizing an event of this magnitude, and until you've walked a mile in the event organizers shoes, perhaps you should rethink your position on the event and give them a chance.

Also, before you start to flame me Joe, I'm not trying to start a war of words with you because I know you do a lot to promote wake boarding and quite often speak from a position of knowledge. I realize that you have infact organized events in the past such as WSSR to help promote the sport at the grass roots level, but I do have one criticism of WSSR though, and that is if you are going to organize an event you should at least attend the event(Buena Vista). I'm pretty sure that the organizers of Boardstock will be at the event in Stockton.

Just a little jab before the rebuttals begin.

Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-24-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
Rob-

Good Points... Suggestions would be including but not limited to:

More Wakeboarding / Less fluff
Boat / Houseboat access ( only ? )
Lake type location
Amatuer type event / Wakeskating possibly
Bring back the sliders
Big Air Comp
More Wakeboarding

;)

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2004, 3:50 PM Reply   

quote:

if you are going to organize an event you should at least attend the event(Buena Vista).

good point. but you, like many others, didn't know that i got a job offer that i simply couldn't refuse.

think about this for a minute. from what i know, you have kids. imagine not being able to buy a toy for your kid because your job didn't pay you well enough. well, at the time, that was the position i was in. so, on one hand, i could have a grand 'ol time and party w/ a bunch of old friends and new. on the other, i could get in to a company that would pay me a lot better than the current. in all honesty, wssr was the last thing on my mind. my kid was on the top of my list. i didn't think i felt the need to explain my decision. i thought i had done it then, but since you felt the need to attack, i guess i should explain myself all over again.

but, the events i've put together aren't even about me. i didn't put it together so you guys can see me. i didn't put it together for recognition. i did it so you all can get together, ride and party...see old friends and make new ones.

quote:

I don't think most of you realize the planning and time that goes into organizing an event of this magnitude, and until you've walked a mile in the event organizers shoes, perhaps you should rethink your position on the event and give them a chance.

time and planning isn't even in question. it's what the event has turned into. it used to be a wakeboard/wakeskate only event. and now, it's being promoted as a wakesurfing event. they're supposed to be putting a wakeboard event together, and having content that people want. with boardstock not having much wakeboarding content compared to past events, naturally people are going to voice their opinion. i apologize mine doesn't parallel yours, but it's my feelings.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-24-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
Just my opinion, but I think Board Stock has gone to shiz. There is soo little riding, the event is primarily supported by renting booths. I agree with most of the other people on this post. It's really sad. I'd love to have another weekend long event where you could go ride, party, meet new people and watch pro level riding in one place. Preferably somewhere where you could camp closeby too. There are probably a number of reasons its no longer possible, but its still sad. I wonder what the possibilities are of getting any riders to show up these days in the midst of their busy schedules.

I guess some of this is what goes along with wakeboarding growing at such a rapid pace. Its hard to keep that close knit feel that the old events once had.

Anyway....I doubt I'll be going this year.
Old    chavezychavez            08-24-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   

quote:

I have yet to hear one person make a suggestion to improve Boardstock other than to move it back to Shasta, which isn't going to happen, or to eliminate the corporate sponsors and peripheral extreme sports that will coexist at the event. These aren't realities and will never happen.

Then Boardstock will continue to die a slow and painful death all the while being ridiculed. It has become a circus and has completely lost touch with it's roots.

Sorry, it's the absolute truth.

See Evan's and Aaron's comments/suggestions, mine basically parallel theirs. My additional suggestion would be to fire the jerks (the ones I met last year were just that to myself and my group - IMHO) running it and allow a single major name that has both recognition in the industry and a staff that can properly handle such an event - for a great local example see: Malibu Open.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-24-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
Joe and others,

I really think the big hang up on Boardstock is the name of the event itself. If you can get past the name and the association it has with all of your fond memories at Lake Shasta, then I think most of you would have a good time at the event in Stockton. There are a lot of good things to see and enjoy on the schedule of events for the weekend. Unfortunately, they aren't all wake boarding events, but nevertheless, they are still going to provide those that attend with a good time.

Organizing a separate event at a different location under a different name is a great idea. Like Joe said in his other thread, let's take back the event and give it back to the people. Let's have a separate event at a lake somewhere where everyone can come and enjoy the company of the wake boarding community and relax and make some new friends without corporate america reaching into our pockets for their piece of the pie. Someone just needs to get motivated and put it all together. If you build it they will come. Just build it!!!

Joe, I know why you didn't attend WSSR at BV, I was justing giving you a hard time. You don't have to explain your actions to me or anyone else on the internet for that matter. I'm glad that you are in a better place than you were at that time in your life, and I hope you know that I only wish you and everyone else that I've had the pleasure of meeting through WW all the best that life has to offer.

Now let's all just get along and hopefully I'll see some familiar faces at Boardstock this weekend, and if not, then I hope you all find butter on the water elsewhere and have a great ride.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-24-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
Boardstock has become quite sad. i'm not even going this year :-( more and more restrictions each year, less fun, everything scattered too far apart... blah. too bad.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-24-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
One just has to read only a few of the posts here to realize that BS, in it's present form, is not what the wakeboarding community wants or needs right now. I think one of the biggest problems we have is that with BOARD right in the title, it would suggest that wakeboarding is the meat of this event, and that currently it is not representing our culture the way we see it.

Hopefully whoever is in charge of BS is interested in getting back to it's roots, and not keep it a money focused circus.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-24-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
IMO,

Boardstock is dead -- only, now there is a marginal event using it's name in Stockton.

But, BS is still cool if you want to inhale dirt and watch a few minutes of wakeboarding over floating condoms.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-24-2004, 7:55 PM Reply   
looks like that list of riders is growing... and if Boardstock is dead, you sure couldn't tell by last years attendance. Just an obsevation.