Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-28-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
I know this has been talked about but do I need shoes and if so what kind? I like riding barefoot but I think if I wore shoes it would help me ride better/have better trick performance. I'm about ready to get some wake specific shoes (Reef or Epic) but I don't know if I should and/or where to buy them...I'm in the Seattle area (Lake Washington)...suggestions please :-).

Thanks,
-Kim
Old    wkbrd134            04-29-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
get sum reef byerly's and u can get them at pretty much any store online. Try boarders paradise, good stuff
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-30-2004, 10:37 AM Reply   
Thanks...the problem is finding them in my size let alone who sells them in person cause my foot is hard to fit cause it's narrow. I'm a size 7 in women’s which ends up being a 5/6 in men’s. I went to Adrenaline in Redmond...they carry Reef but not Epic cause they had problems with them. I guess I just need to either figure out another solution or perfect wake skating barefoot :-).
Old     (junkee)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-30-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
old skate shoes are cost effective.

just drill some holes in the bottom for drainage.

Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-30-2004, 2:58 PM Reply   
Kim – Get some Byerly Reef’s!!! I got a pair and started wearing them all the time and plan on getting a 2nd pair to wear at/in the lake. They are super light, drain & dry quickly, and aren’t thick like skate shoes are.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-10-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
I was told there isn't a water shoe made small enough for my foot...although DVS, DC and the likes are starting to make shoes for people to snow skate in...hence more manufactures of water shoes that can be used for wake skating...maybe there is hope in the long run but until more girls skate and/or demand the product...I'll have to go for the "old skate shoe/drilling holes" method...thanks all :-).
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-11-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
Kim - Get some indoor soccer shoes!!! That is what I used last year and they worked just as good as my reef Byerly’s I have now. Adidas makes some that have mesh sides with a rubber on the sides & toes that work great. The also come in kids & women sizes. You might try local soccer stores or sporting goods stores in your area.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       05-11-2004, 7:54 PM Reply   
Check Out Wileys they are in south seattle, they have tons of wakeboarding gear. Their prices are cheep too. the website is http://www.wileyski.com/, also Ride On skate carries them in redmond, and i bet extreamly board in kirkland, and boarderline sports in bellevue would have them too.
Dave
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-12-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
JAMIE...do you know the model for the Adidas? I used to play soccer...before I took a bad hit to my MCL :-(. DAVID...Ride-On carries them...I'll check it out. I've looked at Wiley's and Boarderline already...nothing. Thanks!
-Kim
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-12-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
Kim – I will need to double check, but I think they are Adidas “SALSA”. They are black with white & silver on the sides, with a rubbery surface on the toes, and flat gum on the bottom. I didn’t drill them because they really didn’t need it.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-12-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
Old    devastate            05-15-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
Does drilling work? doesnt it weakn the shoe?
Old    txwkbrdr06            05-22-2004, 10:25 PM Reply   
Hey try the classic Addidas Sambas. Totally comfy and grip to a flat surface like no other. :-) Academy and other athletic stores carry them.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-24-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Sunday I went out with the in laws on their pontoon boat. To kill some time I rode the skate and found my adidas soccer shoes gripped better that the Byerly Reef’s did. Didn’t have much of a wake to play on so was getting out in the flats and kicking some shuv-its and trying so trick I don’t know the name of. It was much easier and the board spun faster when I had the soccer shoes on.

Name this trick… Start riding with lead hand on rope, and then switch to back hand. Before you start to slide sideways ollie and kick your feet around where you’re riding switch and your back hand you were using becomes your lead hand. Grubb did this back to back towards the end of his run in Welcome.
Old    wakeskate247            05-26-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
Body Varial - you ollie and spin your body a 180 either FS or BS but the skate doesnt spin at all
Old    afxsguy            05-27-2004, 5:51 AM Reply   
"Does drilling work? doesnt it weakn the shoe?"

No John O... you dont need big holes. just maybe 3/16" or 1/4" max.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-27-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
I like the Adidas shoe idea. I used to skate in my Gazelles before my car got broke into and they were stolen. I liked them because they had a flat bottom with real grippy soles beyond fitting my feet well since they are small and narrow.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-27-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
Cody - Thanks for the info. Now it sounds cool when I tell people what all tricks I can land. List isn’t all that long (yet) but I’ve never had a bad day on the water, and that’s something I can’t say about work!!!

Take it easy…
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-22-2004, 12:47 PM Reply   
I never wear any type of shoe and walk on marine vinyl, but some people do. How are the Adidas soccer shoes on marine vinyl?
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-22-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Most soccer shoes have a flat gum sole, so I don’t see any problems as long as you keep the bottoms clean.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
Jamie,

So the soccer shoes work good with your foam top. Have you tried riding them on the grip tape?
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-24-2004, 5:49 AM Reply   
David – I have been on one wakeskate that had grip tape and they worked fine. I did notice one thing about the Adidas “salsa” soccer shoe, the material on the toe & part of the sides has a grippy rubber feel and not leather feel to it.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-24-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
Sweet. I'll check into buying a pair. I love finding less expensive options that work better. It's one small way to beat "the man" at his own game.