Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2009, 11:23 PM Reply   
Here are a couple from the 1st. I know I'm not wearing a vest. So no need to remind me:-)Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-01-2009, 11:25 PM Reply   
I can't believe you would be in the water without a vest! J/K sick pics! I can't wait to go out!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-02-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
I went to the ocean to try to real surf and asked a local shop if I could rent a vest, they laughed at me and told me I couldn't surf:-) The waves were big, and I thought it would be safer! I lost my good vest, so all I have is my comp vest which isn't even rated.
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-02-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
hers a couple from behind our enzo all the tourist have left and we have the lake to ourselves, we a greedy!!!Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-05-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-05-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
HeY Jeff isn't getting hard to launch at Hogan? I've never seen it that low!
Old    surfdad            09-05-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Yeah it's crazy low. It's down to one ramp and the old damn is down to the top of the spillway. The ramp is a mess too, it took us an hour to get off the lake a few weeks ago. Today they had stationed rangers and sheriff at the top of the ramp as a fight broke out before 10 am! :-)
Old     (lil_chris)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-06-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
These are from yesterday

Upload
Upload
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-06-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
a few from this morningUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-08-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
Some from this weekend. Not too crowded even on Labor Day.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
We had a very busy day yesterday :-)
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (beryessaboarder)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-13-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Rob, that avy is dumped nice!

How much weight and how is it spread around?
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
I'm not sure, that is DUCKDIVER's boat. I believe its an enzo sac plus that red 750, not full, that you see poking up on the corner. That was mainly on the floor then we brought it partially on the seat when some people left the boat (we needed the seating when the boat was full). The 220 (goofy) had stock ballast and then a ~500 pound sac on the port side seat in the back, and we added an 100 lb fat brick later on. There were A LOT less people in the 220, only 2-4 compared to 9-12 in the Avy. This Avy has been used in different contests including nationals in '08.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-13-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
What's with the socks?

Running the spine down Griggs? How are the property owners taking that?
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
We never really got a spine going, we just ran side by side to shoot some close up pictures/ two riders in the same frame. Didn't do it for too long..

Who knows about the socks
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-13-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
Socks rules
Old    surfdad            09-13-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-14-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
some pics of me.Upload
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-14-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Heres a few from last week.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-14-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

Of course the best fails!
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-20-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-20-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
I had to add the last three. The water level of New Hogan is down so low that the dam of Old Hogan is visible.

Upload

With the depth that low, only the original ramp is still in the water - making getting on and off a tedious process, especially when folks go off the ramp and get stuck. :-)

Upload

OR when a jet ski tries to block the entire ramp. :-)

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-20-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
No water shortage here. You should move to the North Coast.
Old    surfdad            09-20-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
Yeah, but your season is 5 months shorter than ours. However, we've had three years of draught, if we don't get a good winter this year, I'm sure our lake will be closed in 2010.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-20-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
I'm counting on global warming for season extension.
Old    surfdad            09-20-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
LOL - count on you, Show, to find the pearl. :-)
Old    surfdad            09-26-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dbh_brad)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2009, 11:33 PM Reply   
Photo 4 is a bit disturbing, and not due to your lovely wife.
Old    surfdad            09-26-2009, 11:51 PM Reply   
LOL - yeah, Dennis couldn't join us earlier so we got Bigfoot to do the ballast duties. :-)
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-28-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
A pic of the bottom of my buddies board. This was also the first day we had a chance to try it out.
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-28-2009, 6:19 PM Reply   
Hey Jon, I recognize the one SS in there, but tell us about the other two boards, please.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Hey surfdad, is James trying a bigspin in that picture ??
Old    surfdad            09-28-2009, 6:41 PM Reply   
Yes! I was wondering if anyone would catch it :-) It's fun to watch those huge fins come out, the board has to be pretty high off the wake.

It seems so long since we've seen you. How are you, your sister and parents?
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-28-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Of course I noticed, its hard to mistake it for anything else! Better question..was it/closetobeing landed? That'd be nasty on a surfboard. I have problems enough with shuvs on skimmers!

Going well, I'm at school, the sis picked up competitive soccer. It was a high in the low 60's today, envying the warmer california weather !
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-28-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
UploadUpload
Upload
Old    surfdad            09-28-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
@ dj - new board? The last two pictures look like a different board from the first pic (color, sponsor logs).

@ rob - well there is close and then close like Show who's been close to landing a three for 5 years now :-) That picture was the first time James tried it, I think he only tried it 3 times in total. He landed the shuv component once, but he's up on the table...so we'll see. :-)
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-29-2009, 4:58 AM Reply   
nice ribs James
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-29-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
Jeff,
The red/white board is a board that I shaped and glassed. My intent with this board was to be able to ride it behind smaller waves, such as waves created by a Prostar 190. I don't think you will ever see this board as an aggressive board, and it acts more like a long board. Kind of slow, and you can practically stand on the Nose of the board. Very good for people who have never surfed before. My friend Andrew (in the pic below) actually could not ride a Shred Stixx Piranha, but when he got on this board he rode without the rope for the first time! Also with this board, I tried out a quad fin configuration. One of the reasons for this is so we could remove and try different fin configurations. It really is all an experiment. For this board I used two layers of glass (I think 6oz) on the top and the bottom. I would have to look up where I got the traction from, but I cut it into the design that you see. It is the foam that you can get for kids to play with. Works pretty well. Overall, Everyone could ride it, it was fun, and I believe that it could bring a new element to wakesurfing such as head stands, ballerina type tricks that are harder to do on the fast and aggressive boards that you build. Getting a ton of air with this board would be tough, however it is still fairly easy to break loose and spin with (if only I could Spin!!).

The second board that you see was designed by my friend Andrew who is in the pic. He pretty much took my same design concept and added his own little variations into it. It has a different Rocker than mine, and it is thinner than my board. We both used the same type of foam (which I would hate to tell you where we got it from), and I am not sure what his layup scheme was. It is a bit longer than my board, and a bit wider. If you look close, he shaped the rails a bit different than my board. This board was a little faster down the line than my board, however it slipped out easier than my board did when you try to float from the top of the wave to the bottom. You can also see that he is a lot more artistic than I am, and puts more time into his paint schemes. He was also pumped that he was able to ride his own design!! We only wish we could get out more and test these designs.

Overall, both were very fun to ride if you like the not so aggressive approach to surfing, and we are pumped that we have boards that work. From the start we knew that these boards were not going to be the aggressive surf type boards, and we also figured out that our boards are a lot bigger than most wakesurf boards, so we are going to try out some smaller versions of these boards in the future. To bad the cold is coming in fast up here in MI, but we are hoping to be out until all the other boats are off the lakes! Might even get a snow shot this year!! Do you even know what snow is??? Lucky!!! Any more questions please ask, and any suggestions would be great to make these things better in the future.

Jon T
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-29-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
Dang Jeff do you have to rub it in like that! Maybe I'll just stop working on a 3 and start working on a III!
Old    surfdad            09-29-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
Show, yes I do. :-) A Roman III would be the most impressive trick ever! No one has ever successfully completed one. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-29-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
How about 2 Pi radians instead then?
Old    surfdad            09-29-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Two radian pies sound yummy, but what about your trick? :-)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-01-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
Shannon bummed out on the Sunday chop
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
and I couldn't get anyone to take pics of me but here's my lonely board itching to get out on the glassy water. I'm beyond stoked on my new traction setup.
Upload
Upload
Old     (jon_tollefson)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-02-2009, 4:46 AM Reply   
Caskimmer, Nice board. It looks like that board could almost be a hybrid between a surfer and a skimmer. Seems a little thick to be a skimmer, but looks like it would almost ride the same each direction! How did it ride??
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-02-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Jon, that's exactly what it is and it rides real good. I've been riding that shape for a couple years and still like it but am starting to yearn for something different again and want to get both a surf specific and skim specific board to mix it up.