Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (sftoshasta)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I recently received a DUI in California and I have a restricted license until October. I have been trying to find information on if I have any restrictions for driving a boat this summer. My DUI Class teacher seemed to think that I am not allowed to but he also seemed to think that in CA we need a license to drive a boat. Does anyone know about my restrictions?
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
Law
Enforcement
Division
1416 Ninth Street, Room 1326
Sacramento CA 95814
(916) 653-4094

That is the DNR contact info. I think they could answer your question.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
I imagine you can drive a boat, just no alcohol in your system. You have to be 12 to drive a boat and you cant even get a license at that age...
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-24-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
What Brandon said . . . Better safe than sorry
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-24-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Every state is different. Here a BUI does not effect your drivers licence or vice versa.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-24-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
In Wisco you can get an OWI if you're over the legal limit... less punishment than a DUI but still not good...

There was a girl in the Drinking Class I had to take for an underage that got an OWI on rollerblades....
Old     (wakebrdmom)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-24-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
I believe you must be a licensed driver in CA to drive a boat. A 12 year old can drive if a licensed driver is in the boat with them. A 16yr old w/a license can drive alone. I may be wrong but that was the last I heard. I would think if your license is suspended that would include driving anything that required a license.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
Whatever the answer is I hope you learned a lesson. Not to sound like a old fart or as$H0l* but too many people ruin their life with one careless mistake, not to mention the amount of $$ its costs you.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-24-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Your Ca driver's licence is for vehicles on the roadway. You do not need any type of driver's license to drive a boat in Califoania. You might want to make sure you have no restrictions or conditions as far as driving "anything" with any alcohol in your system. Like I said, there is no driver's licence for a boat, so I can't see any reason you can not drive a boat legally.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
I had a client here in Indiana who received a DUI on a boat and lost his driver's license all together.
Old     (deltaridah)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-24-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
ya but in cali if you dont consent to a breathalizer on the boat they cant make you or suspend your license due to the fact that you dont have the same laws for cars and boats and you dont need a lic. I believe the age is 12 for a boat under a certain amount of h.p. and 15 regardless.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-24-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
Most insurance companies won't cover you if you have a DUI. You could probably drive it legally but run the risk of no insurance coverage.
Old     (sftoshasta)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Billy-no need for "I hope you learned your lesson" please! I will give that number you gave me a call Brandon. Thanks. Luckily it is my friends boat that I am the driving Captain on so I do not need to get insurance. I will give a report in a few
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-24-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
Most states are now linking them all together. I know I could even loose my pilots license if I get a DUI in a boat.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-24-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
I have to agree with Billy. It's not about learning a lesson. I don't want to be a buzz kill, but a lot of people are injured or killed by drunk drivers both in boats and cars. A couple years ago some idiot put his 36' Fountain Fever about 300 yards onto an island, ejecting and killing everyone aboard. It's serious shiz, and the rest of us pay for it with higher insurance rates, etc.
Old     (stroh)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Big,

Be careful. Even if your friend has insurance on the boat it may not cover you as a driver due to your record (they may deny a claim if you're driving). I'm not saying that this is definitely the case but make sure he checks with his agent. I run in to similar problems all the time.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-24-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
LAWYER ALERT: I just spoke with the associate at our firm who handles such matters and he said that you should be ok unless one of the conditions of your probation explicitly says, "cannot operate a vessel". He went on to say that it is likely one condition is that you not operate a vessel after consuming any amount of alcohol. Disclaimer: we are in Missouri.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-24-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
What did you blow?
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-24-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
I would guess that you are ok to drive, but I would check. Most driver's license's apply to the roads...I have never been asked for my driver's license while on the boat or never had anyone run it while on the water. I would still check though.

I know that it is an eye opening experience and a costly one...I have known hundreds of people that have been through it. Just be careful while driving a boat. It is easy to get caught up in the fun, not to mention you have other peoples lives in your hands while driving. Even though you are on the water and may not need a license, you don't want to get caught over the limit because it is just as bad on a boat as it is driving a car.

Have fun, be safe and everything will be fine. Most are able to get past it without it ruining their lives by getting another one. Good luck...
Old     (sftoshasta)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
So I called the department of Boating and Waterways in California and was told that it is legal to drive a boat with a DUI conviction as long as it is not a boat to hire. Here is the link for what Mike Sotelo-with the Regulations unit of DBW says relates to this matter. Andy, I was thinking about your point in regards to my probation and I will look at it tonight. I think that my probation says that I cannot operate a vessel under the influence.

Ok, since I actually post a lot on this site under my normal screen name so I will talk about the DUI a little. Paul, I blew a .22. It has been a life changing event and I would be amazed to hear that no one on this site who drinks has never driven a car or a boat under the influence. It is just not worth the risk! Trust me!

Even if you think that you are fine to drive you never know what circumstance may arise that gets you in contact with an officer. Also, with budget cuts all around a DUI is the best revenue generator for local govs so they are really looking out for it. I grew up in Nor Cal drinking on boats and have never had a problem with police even when asked for a boat safety check. Now that I go to the Delta after moving to the Bay Area I know better. As another person said, it is so easy to get caught up in the fun on the boat, but it is not worth the impact on your life and others.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-24-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
You're lucky, in NJ if you get a DUI driving a car you cannot operate a boat either and vise-versa.
Old     (tpj)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-24-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
in michigan i got my boaters license when i was 12 and i can drive any boat up to 65...nothing bigger and i cant drive charter boats...not that i plan on ever doing that
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-25-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Live and learn bigmcgee. Know one got hurt, now you can just get through the hell of it and move on. I got one years ago, so I know what your going through. Don't risk a second. Like you said, you never know what will bring you in contact with a cop. Even if you only have one, don't let your fate lie with a man made machine.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-26-2008, 8:40 AM Reply   
Check this out. In MN, a boat might as well be a car, but in Iowa, you're in the clear. (I don't have a DUI, but at least the state border would give me an option)
Old     (jearley35purdue)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-28-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
bigmcgee

Dude, I hear you man. It's been almost (2) years to the day that I got mine. Here is the short. I moved to OH for a new job knowing nobody, two weeks later got a DUI. Didn't have anyone to bail me out, didn't have any way of getting to and from work. Punishment was DL suspended for 6 months with work privelages only, 12 months probation, 80hrs community service, dropped from my insurance company. All in all the entire issue cost me like 5G's. Sucked all around and defintely opens up your eyes to stuff. I still drink, but will never have more than (1) before driving again. Just not worth the risk at all. It sucks because I like to throw them back with the boys, but I just started finding different things to do with my nights and weekends. It all passes man, hang in there!!!!