Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    simba            06-25-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
First off, how many people do you usually take? I have been taking 5-6 and it just takes too long to get back to my turn, I think ill cut it down to 3-4.

Second, I spend about 100 bucks a week on gas and I buy the ice and drinks and chips ect. Nobody chips in.

I dont mind but I'm sick of cleaning the boat 2-3 times a week, it takes me 1-2 hours each time! how do you guys split it all up?
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-25-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
Wow, you are the Boat Owner of all Boat Owners. Can I be a third on your boat? We call it the duty of the BO, but that only goes so far. Your friends are very cheap to not offer to chip in. If you have to ask them, then I would look for new friends. Mine fall over backwards to help out. Usually we split the food/beer duty, somebody brings beer, or in the case of a weekend trip we all bring beer, another brings food, etc. Usually I only ask for gas money on trips and not an afternoon on the water. But even then they offer and usually hand me a 5 or 10 spot.

Last weekend we took a trip to Havasu, a 5 hour drive in my truck and a 12 hour day on the water, going through a tank of gas, 47 gallons. Anyway, at the begining, we all chipped in 40 bucks, for 5 of us, $200 total, into the gas fund, for the truck and boat. At the end, if money was left over, we split it, worked out great.

As far as cleaning, we all take a different part of the boat, and usually get done very quickly.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-25-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
I Never buy food or drinks... I usually make others do that... If i do its like a bottle of water for myself... As for gas, Sometimes I treat my friends and pay for the gas, sometimes I ask them for a few bucks... As for cleaning.. Everyone who rides helps. I bring enough towels usually and tell them what to do help... With about 4 people it gets clean pretty quick. The ones that really appreciate the ride and stuff, usually help the most and always gets invited each time.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-25-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
John.. my friends are the same way... bend over backwards to help... I'm very appreciative of it.. sometimes they go to far and I feel i'm taking advantage of them... But I still let them... haha
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-25-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
Ron - you need to find yourself a few dedicated wakewhores. Someone like myself, I always chip in for gas, offer to drive the boat, back trailer down, launch boat, fill/empty sacks, help other riders, help clean up, and most importantly bring a good attitude. All of the above are given if I expect to get invited back.
Old    backroll50            06-25-2003, 12:59 PM Reply   
Just take what you get in gas money and forget about making them help you clean it. I would make them bring GOOD beer and food and still chip in what they can for gas.
Old    sandman            06-25-2003, 1:05 PM Reply   
Put a tip/gas money jar on your dash. Maybe then they will get the idea. Freeloaders come out on my boat one, maybe twice then I do not envite.

Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-25-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
My friends always help out (without asking) with cleaning, emptying sacs or unloading equipment, or tell me that they have to bug early, which is cool if they let me know ahead of time. If people bring beer, I don't expect them to chip in for gas . A lot of people try to give a 5 or 10 for just an evening after work. Durring the week we don't expect much if any gas money, and the wife tell's them "durring the week we don't expect any money, but we're keeping what you give." We normally end up putting as much money in gas as everyone else so it works out fine.
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-25-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
Your job if a guest is to make life easier and cheaper for the owner, Buy gas, help launch & retrieve, cleaning, food, any help you can think of and of course never ask to ride first!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-25-2003, 3:48 PM Reply   
wow. im amazed that thirds would act like that. i always pay for gas and offer to help clean the boat. i even try (though don't always remember) to bring a towel to wipe the boat down with. i don't usually bring food as some boat owners don't like you to eat on their boats. but i bring my own gatorade.

i even thought about carrying my own soap spray bottle, but now that i have my new belmonts i don't need soap. :-)
Old    simba            06-25-2003, 4:34 PM Reply   
You know whats even sadder, trying to even find a third to go here in jacksonville florida lol. Everyone that goes, i pretty much taught how to board.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-25-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
Ron, same story up here, any friends I have that ride, I taught em, ahlf of them still don't get what wakeboarding is, and NONE of them help out in any way. Sometimes they offer to help dock, but that's about it. Sometimes I will briefly bring up some of this discussions that I read, and I'm like "I don't know how people can act like that!" before we even get to the marina, and they usually become a little more aware.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2003, 5:22 PM Reply   
Kindly explain that your boat doesn;t run on thank you's.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-26-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
Wow, I always thought the general consensus of thirds was to pitch in. We have a great crew someone brings the beer, somebody else brings food, everyone pitches in for gas and wipes down the boat and between me and my buddy we even trade off who tows the boat to the lake.

I really like Chris Neelley's explanation the best
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-26-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
We buy gas, food beer, and even the truck gas and split everything evenly. We even through in for maintanence like batteries. I contribute handles abd ropes. Your friends suck a$$$.
Old     (priapism)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-26-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
I'm like Thane Dogg; I always offer at least 10 bucks, drive the boat, drive the truck, help clean, etc. It still winds up being a cheap day. Where else can you have a day of fun for around 20 bucks and a little sweat? "not Disneyland!"
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-26-2003, 11:11 AM Reply   
I would tell them straight out... I need help cleaning the boat.. Bring the rag towels and cleaning supplies.. And ask them for a few buck in gas. Not all my friends pitched in... but I asked them bluntly, yet very nice and none had a problem with it...
Old    tpalmeri            06-26-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
I would agree with Randy as well as the rest of whom have posted. I would automaticlly offer gas$, food, beer, cleaning, etc for the opportunity of a day of fun. Although I feel bad to ask if anyone needs a third because I suck. Have only been on the water twice. First time was way to windy, but I had to get on the water
Old    deiselgrover            06-26-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine who takes a lot of people out and runs into the same problems bought this shirt that he always wears when he is taking a bunch of newbies out. On the back it says:

"My boat runs on gas....not thanks!"

I think people usually get the hint
Old     (ssg)      Join Date: Jun 2001       06-26-2003, 12:44 PM Reply   
Like most of you boat owners, I am pretty stoked to get out to a day of riding, so I invite people to go and try not to make it a big deal to them by including a fee. With the way people respond around here, even a free ride does not get them motivated. It's pretty unbelievable sometimes, but it is hard to get people to commit to going with you. EVEN WAKEBOARDERS, if you can believe that. Most of them will offer me some money when it's all over with, so I am pretty happy.

Charles
Old    goose69            06-27-2003, 8:39 AM Reply   
Wakeworld had a perfect article covering this very issue.
http://wakeworld.com/articles/2002/thatguy.asp
I own a boat with a friend, so even right there that cuts the cost down. We have had the same people ride with us for a couple years now and even though we state what we expect from the people we invite out, still have issues. We make it perfectly clear from the beginning with them, the people that we invite out on the boat that even fun costs money. So we usually ask but not require that it would help out to chip in $5 a run, so we can continue to have fun and keep on inviting them out. We don't put a time limit on their run it nor say "hey your done" while they are in the middle of theirs. This usually works out and by now it just apart of going out. If it is someone who has not been out or did not ride long we don’t ask or even take money if they offer. We just say that would be a nice next times these ones on us.
As for as the clean up goes, its still sketchy and me being the person I am I tend to take the clean up in hand anyway to make sure I have a clean boat. But I usually ask in a polite way to have them wipe down the outside of the boat. That is a simple task and with 2-3 people doing it, it gets done fast. That way they help out, and its one less thing for you to do. This also tends them to get them to ask if I need anything else done because they see how easy and fast it was to wipe the boat down. I would say the best way is to say hey.. This is fun, and you enjoy having them on the boat but we may not be able to go out as much do to the covering everything yourself, and if you guys would like to go out more or continue going out as much as you are now. Some gas money or you help with the boat would be great.

Jared
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-27-2003, 9:56 AM Reply   
All guests should offer gas money and food for long trips except for first timers. The person who invited the first timer covers all their duties and expenses.

All regulars are expected to help with driving and keeping the boat organized. The day is much more enjoyable is everyone helps out.

As far as cleaning goes, thats manditory. When the day is over we pull the boat out of the water and park it in the boat ramp parking. Everyone who is still there helps wipe the boat down. This usually takes about 20 minutes. With two or three regulars working away the extras(newbies) always ask what they can do to help.
Old    mxracer            06-27-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
I'm with bess. Most of the people i ride with i taught. None of them know good etiquite.

What's the best way to encourage them to help out?