Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-10-2011, 10:43 PM Reply   
ok so got boat serviced last week , put in water the day i got it bacxk and it over heated . No water coming into intake. Took it back and service man changed blown impellor and took out again this afternoon and over heated again with brand new impellor . disconnected intake pipes and started eingine and no water coming up through impellor .. Any thoughts on what may be wrong ?
Old     (mastercraft_98)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-11-2011, 5:25 AM Reply   
The intake lines going to the housing might be swaped I burnt 2 impellers up before i figuered that out
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-11-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
Does your pump look like this ?
It is possible to mount it upsidedown then it wont draw water.

Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2011, 6:09 AM Reply   
Pump installed backwards like Michael said, loose connections at either pump, strainer or intake, or hoses are swapped. Have you looked for an obstruction at the intake grate?

My bet is that the pumps backwards
Old    stumpf101            03-11-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
DUMB QUESTION: Is the intake valve open?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-11-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
it will blow bubbles if its backwards. put the intake hose in a bucket of water to test it.

David what valve are you referring to? Should be an open hose to fresh water

edit.

I'd find another boat shop/mech ASAP
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-11-2011, 7:52 AM Reply   
I believe David is referring to the ball valve in line with the water pick-up line. If you bust your hose, that valve will keep you from sinking. Should be brass, probably a 1" valve. Hope this helps.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-11-2011, 7:57 AM Reply   
The two situations I know are the pump backwards as mentioned, and rubber bits from the old impeller lodged in and clogging the thermostat.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       03-11-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
Plugged up trans cooler?
Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
ok my pump looks like the one pictured but my hoses are on the opposite sides to the one pictured, I disconnected all hoses from the impellor back and checked them and there all clear. We had the top hose off the impellor and i started the boat while in the water and it is turning . We then re conected all the hoses and then disconnected the hose from the intake end and started it and there seamed to be no suction(i assumed it would be like a vacume cleaner type of suction)
Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
Ok sick of waiting for this fool(the guy who serviced the boat) to ring me back and everytime i try call him he wont answer his phone , so im heading outside to turn the pump around and see if it fixes the problem
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-11-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
I don't know if this would happen with a metal pump but with my plastic pump I drew sand up through the impeller and it chewed up the inside of the pump housing. maybe the housing is marred up on the inside to the point that it's not drawing suction.
Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2011, 2:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Heaps for all the input people of wakeworld. I turned the pump over so it looked the the picture above and found that when i did someone had actually written in ball point pen TOP on the top .. So refitted everything and gave it a test by sticking the intake hose in a bucket of water and it swollewed that up pretty quick so reconnected the hose and shot down to the local boat ramp. sat the boat in the water and started her up and water was flowing smoothly through the intake pipe left her idling for a while then took it up to 3k rpm and sat it there for a bit. temp got to halfway and stayed there rock solid So looks like ill be going wake boarding today and ringing the guy that serviced it on monday morning to see if he is willing to refund my $170(nz) for the impeeler he replaced seeing as the reason it would have chewed out was becuase he had fitted the pump backwards. He even admitted when i took it back the 1st time that he removed the pump and inspected the impeller and it was fine so he was unsure why it overheated the 1st time .. Knob Jockey is all i can say and next time ill be trying a new service man ..
Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
P.S im sorry about my shocking typing when i started the thread to , As you can imagine i wasnt happy when i found out it was still over heating, so i had consumed a few vodkas
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2011, 6:20 PM Reply   
Its easy to do if your not careful. I did the same myself last year, figured it out quickly but it still chewed up a brand new impeller.
Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2011, 9:38 PM Reply   
Awesome afternoon boarding .. thanks again guys Im as happy as can be to have my baby up and running again
Old     (piggie)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-11-2011, 9:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4gill2 View Post
Its easy to do if your not careful. I did the same myself last year, figured it out quickly but it still chewed up a brand new impeller.
Yeah but you would think a guy who services boats for a living would know what he was doing and even if he screwed up the 1st time you would think he would check it the 2nd time..