Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-02-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
So had a little incident at work and was thrown from a moving vehicle at 60mph or so and completely run over by the rear tire on my left side. Took the Benz S5000 like a champ though. Really the only major thing that happened was my shoulder popped out the back side and was facing the other way. Worst pain ever. That's been put back after 3 tries.

Now the aftermath has revealed that my shoulder ball is fine (great news)just the scapula has a ding to it from being forced out so violently, but it's so low it shouldn't have any effect on keeping it in place for future times to come. I have a distal subscapularis tendon tear though from the trauma and it's kind of a rare tear, so will require surgery. This kind of sucks seeing as how we just bought a house on a private lake and this was gonna be our first summer on it. However at least there will be future summers to enjoy for sure.

So what is recovery to ride/be active time ? Dr says 4-6mos which is pretty much the whole summer here. DOH! Just curious on what to expect from others who have had it. Had my knee reconstructed so hopefully it ain't looking at the same pain

Last edited by xstarrider; 05-02-2010 at 8:32 AM.
Old     (shredthegnar87)      Join Date: May 2010       05-02-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
i had shoulder surgery back in 08 from college football, fractured my scapula, disconnected all the ligaments...pretty brutal injury. everytime i took a hit or blocked a linebacker my shoulder would pop out. it got so bad that it would pop out doing random things like typing on the computer. i got mine scoped, and it sounds like we both have the same injury. granted, i had my surgery in september so i didnt miss much riding, but i was good to snowboard in january without any problems. if you rehab it at least 4 days a week and do everything the doctor says you should have a fast recovery. ive had no problems with my shoulder since, and ive played another season of D1 football.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-02-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
I just had rotator cuff surgery 2 weeks ago... and my doc said dont even think about it for at least 4.5 months. I am just hoping for a set around labor day!!!

As far as the pain goes... I'm not gonna lie... it sucks!!! I've had my knee done twice and this is far worse imo. Getting better every day. Good luck!!!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-02-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
you could use 1 arm and just practice cutting. i rode last year with a torn calf muscle.just wore a calf support and did shorter sets with no jumps for a few weeks.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-03-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
Ronnie's dead on. Tore mine Aug 22nd, had it done Dec. 7th. just got "cleared" to ride May 1, although I had a few sets in me by then. The pain is horrible. You can't do jack for quite a while. I had what my physical therapist said was her fastest recovery to full mobility she's seen in a few years, and it was still horrible.

I'd say, as far as trying to salvage the summer goes, if you can put off having the surgery till september/october, do it. My doc said a few months w/it torn isn't the end of the world, it's when you wait a few years it makes it a lot harder. I rode the rest of the season then did it in the winter (obviously)

As for having it fixed and riding one handed. Up to you, but I wouldn't crash if I were you, never know what your arm is going to do out of pure reaction, could put you back to square one.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
I am with the guys. Disconnected muscles, torn labrum, the hole deal. Far worse pain than surgeries on my ankle or knee surgeries. I was almost 1.25 years before pain free. I think riding with 8 months. I would recommend Crossfit in your recovery as it was better for me than PT. My dad had the similar surgery but not quite as bad, he had to have it re-done like 8 months later cause it was not quite right.

If you watch Ultimate Fighter, one of the guys just had it done. The doc told him (and me) 1 hour surgery and like 4-6 hours later you are walking out of there.

I am a tough dude with many injuries and surgeries is this old body(40). The pain for 3 days after surgery was beyond anything I experienced.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-03-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
My buddy tore his doing a bomb-out barefooting.... its been 3 years and certain tricks he just can't do because they still hurt him...... its a ****ty injury
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-03-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses guys. As far as the riding....Its a hobby so I am not likely going to riding one handed risking any more damage. I was actually thinking about asking the Dr about holding off on the surgery for a bit at work if it woldn't damage it too bad. Sufing is much easier on the arm and hand so at least I could enjoy that for sure. However that call isn't up to me as I was hurt at work and I am sure my dpeartment doesn't want me out for such a long period.

I have my follow up with the Dr Wed so will have a much better idea of the results and decsions. Thanks for all the info thus far uys appreciate it greatly.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-03-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Had rotator cuff surgery, with a torn bicep and tendon 8 years ago and was back skydiving in 3 weeks. Hurt like a mofo. Just had a shoulder replacement on Sept. 29th and was riding in 3 months. Plan was to ride in 6 weeks, but the surgeon bumped it up. Listen to your physical therapist and you'll be fine.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-03-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
I had a fractured glenoid and had my ligaments and tendons out of place. It was a solid 6 months before I felt confident doing most activities. Mine was jacked up for 16 months before I had surgery so that might have been part of it. 2 years later and my shoulder is feeling so good these days. Shoulders are tricky and you can easily mess it up again if you don't take your time and rehab properly. It sucks that you will miss pretty much all of wakeboarding season but it will be worth it in the long run because you don't want chronic shoulder issues.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-03-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
My fiance tore her rotator cuff, fractured one of the bones in her shoulder, & tore the labrium off the bone... Had surgery March 29th & is out for the season. Dr. says she should be back on the slopes for the winter though..... it's gonna be a LONG summer.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-03-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
Wazz what up?

HAHAHAHA yup my wife' summer is going to be twice as long as mine hahahahahahhahaha.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-04-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
Yeah, maybe her & I can switch partners for the season... LOL (riding partners...uuuummmm...wakeboarding partners)

Annie said she would take 10 knee surgeries over 1 shoulder surgery......