Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-21-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
I am beginning to narrow down my search for a good wakesurf boat, and good wakeboard boat. I would prefer to stay in the 21'-22' range, but open to a 23'. Typically we have 6-10 people out on the boat with us. We do a little of both surfing and wakeboarding, would like to have a boat that can throw a nice surf wake with a good push. I have been told the following are good choices, please take a look and if you have any comments or feedback on any of them I would appreciate it. If you have any other brands you might recommend would also be open to those.

2011 Malibu VLX (w/power wedge + 750 lb rear locker piggyback system from wakemakers)
2011 Malibu LSV
2011 Tige 22Ve (w/taps, surf ballast system)
2011 MB Widebody 21'
2011 Sanger V230

The Tige RZ2 is out of my price range, but I have heard many good things about that boat. From what I have been told, the Tige 22Ve has the same hull design as the RZ2 less the picklefork front end. Not sure how much not having the pickefork would make? I am taking out the Malibu VLX next week, and probably a Tige 22Ve.

Thanks for any input you might have or experience with these boats.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       01-21-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Tige Z1 or 22VE are getting lots of good feedback on there surf wake.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
i have a 22ve and can tell you with 6 to 10 people plus ballast it will make a excellent wakeboard wake.as for surfing i have only tried surfing behind a mb and i suck but the other guys i went with were awesome. i compared the mb wake to my 22ve and height wise the mb was taller but we had 12 people plus 1000 lbs on the surf side .i have also wakeboarded behind a malibu vlx and think that wake is very similar to the tige.i have no experience with the sanger or malibu lsv. my 22ve would be full with 10 adults even though it is supposed to seat 14. i also am considering a new rz2 . i think it would handle 10 people easy because you gain so much room in the bow.i haven't wakeboarded or surfed behind one yet . you can't go wrong with a tige ,malibu or mb. i can't speak for sanger as i don't even know anyone that owns one [but they look nice].good luck
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-21-2011, 11:59 PM Reply   
Should add the Sanger V237 to your list too. It comes in a surf series or option up a standard to your requirements.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-22-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
I am probably biased, but I would also check out a Centurion Avalanche. Price wise its in the Sanger/MB Sports category. It has a ton of room and has a deep V hull so its handles the chop great. It has a very solid wakeboard wake and a top 5 surf wake of any boat/size on the market (pulled the finals of Worlds this year and its the same wake on both sides).

Also, I agree with Ian about the Sanger 237.

All great boats. Good Luck
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-22-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
if you weight it right, any of those will be awesome. all comes down to which boat you like more! I love tiges, so i would try for the tige. our 20V with 1100# in rear locker, 400# on the floor, 3 100# free water jugs under the seat, and i think 250# in the bow plus people weight throws a pretty nice wave

this was around 11mph i think, maybe 11.2.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-22-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
I'd consider an Axis A22 if you are looking for bang for the buck. Search YouTube for the surfing vids behind the a22, also check out the singleton marine axis teaser to see what the a22 wake is like loaded at 23.5 mph.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-22-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
Any specific reason you are buying new? Nautique 230 throws a sick wave.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-22-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
I hate being this guy, but there is a boat you should really consider. The Supreme V226. It has the best surf wake I have ridden by far and is less expensive than the other boats you are looking at. It's 22'6" but has more room than some 23' boats.
The avalanche has a really good surf wake. I am a big fan of that wake.
The Tige rz2 is a really good wake. It was my favorite until i tried the Supreme V226. The price difference is insanse though.

I love MB's wakeboard wakes but im not a big fan of the surf wake. I can't get rid of the white wash.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-22-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
Most new deep v boats with enough weight can produce a good- great surf wave. You just need to spend time dialing in the weight amounts and placement.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-22-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
I have a 2011 V226 demo with 70 hrs, all of the skisupreme.com surf videos were shot on it, letting it go cheap, upgraded speakers, sub, amp and a Z5 cargo rack, pm if interested, new one coming
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-22-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great feedback, did not realize there were so many options in the Supreme/Sanger boats. My favorite looking boat of all of them is the Malibu VLX, I really like the fit and finish the Malibu offers. Will be demoing and crawling through one next week. A few demo rides and I should be able to get a good idea of what is going to work for me.

The Tige 22Ve I also like, but I will have to fly down to Los Angelas to demo the boat, they only have one dealer in California right now

Last edited by fman; 01-22-2011 at 4:30 PM.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-22-2011, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Any specific reason you are buying new? Nautique 230 throws a sick wave.
Purchasing new because its going to be my last boat for at least 5-10 years, and I want to order all my colors and options I would like to have. Plus, Its nice knowing the boat is mine from day one. I am kind of neat/maint freak with boats, whoever ends up getting my 2008 Supra will be getting a showroom condition boat.

Last edited by fman; 01-22-2011 at 4:31 PM.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-23-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
If you are going new and planning on owning it for awhile I would go MB you cant beat the price for a boat with this great of a stock warranty and quality of build. The interior is by far the most durable I seen. I have almost 300 hrs on my 09' and love it ! Hit up one of the Larson Dealers in Norcal for a test drive!