Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       05-06-2005, 7:10 AM Reply   
I have seen a contraption that mounts in-line in the water intake line, and allows you to install a garden hose to use as a water source so you can run your engine with the boat out of the water. Most recently I saw the device in the Overton's catalog. It's called the "Flush Pro." It says it uses the pressure from the hose to operate a check valve that shuts off the inlet side and take water in from the hose. This would be a lot simple than having to remove the inlet hose everytime I need to work on the boat in the driveway.

Has anybody used one of these things? Are there any hidden catches? I kind of worry that if the thing fails it could cut off water to the impeller, or if it leaks it could sink the boat (like if the boat is in the water over night).

Any insight greatly appreciated!
Old     (apmullaly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
I just installed one on my PS205. It seems to work well, the boat ran fine and there was a lot of water moving through the system. I didn't see any heating problems either.

Super easy to install, it clamps down on the intake water hose, so i don't see much chance of it coming loose. The design itself seems pretty simple and I don't think it will fail, but I will keep an eye on it.

According to my dealer, On the Edge in San Diego, they install one on every Mastercraft they sell for ease of service.
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have heard stories of the plastic body cracking and leaking as they age. An alternative is to install an in-line brass valve followed by a brass "T" fitting with a cap on portion not connected to the inlet hose. Close the valve, remove the cap from the "T", and attach your garden hose to flush.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-06-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
you really don't even need a valve or check valve. The water just goes out the inlet when the motor is not running, when it is running it takes all the water from the hose and none goes out the outlet. The water comes out your exhast so it really doesn't matter if a little bit gets on the ground when the motor isn't running is it? A valve or check valve just seams like something else that could stick shut or have parts let go, I wouldn't want any metal pieces going through my engine.

(Message edited by skibum69 on May 06, 2005)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-06-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
I just returned from ClubMed Cancun, they have a 3 month old Moomba Outback with a little over 300 hours (yes, it gets used). The flush pro was leaking a small stream of water so I helped them remove it. It might work OK on a boat that is not in a commercial operation.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-06-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
I use a toilet plunger with a garden hose stuck in it. I just wedge the plunger on the raw water intake grate/hull area.
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-06-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
Jeffrey - i was just thinking of making a contraption out of a plunger... do you happen to have any pics of yours?
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-06-2005, 10:43 PM Reply   
I have a 2004 Moomba Mobius LS with 160 hrs and I use my flush pro after every use.....I have not had any problems.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2005, 11:29 PM Reply   
I installed one and I'll never go back. Much easier and I hated crawling under the boat w/ the "plunger style" and getting all wet and dirty.
Old     (jeffreyala)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-07-2005, 4:08 AM Reply   
GP- You just need to make a hole a little smaller than the water hose end in the body of the plunger. Basically an inch or so up from where the plunger body and stick meet. Stick the hose in it and that's it. I'll see if I can get my wifes camera and take a pic.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
Dan, I got mine from boatfix.com. get the full kit for even easier usage. It comes with a clear hose and another garden hose fitting. You can drill a hole into the transom and mount the fitting to the back of the boat. I have mine in an 04 Centurion cyclone and it doesn't get any easier.Only thing you need to know is if the size of the h2o hose you wanna add it into.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       05-07-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
Its called "Fake-a-Lake".
Old     (mtv_firemedic)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-08-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
actually Howie to be exact, Fake a lake is the brand name of the thing that looks like a plunger with an adjustable base and rubber tip.. it goes on the bottom of the boat and you must crawl under to place it firmly.. Flush Pro is the name of the thing that goes in line on the water intake (same hose that runs to the water pick up under the boat) it has a one way valve that when the hose is turned on flows water to the motor for a good rinse after an all day Delta Run..but when there is no hose, it flaps the other way so water can flow from under the boat.. it also i clear so you can see if water is flowing.. nice if you think you are having an impeller problem and want to see if it is sucking water appropriatly..
So - when are we going out.. is the knee ready?.. i think mine is for some trial runs.. with a brace of course - I sent you an email to your yahoo - did you get it?.. havent heard back - doesnt look like Ill be at SBB meeting, just getting back from Vegas --- goin there to Drive 8 laps in a F1 car doin 140 mph.. yeeha... lets hook up when I get back- Anderson or delta - doesnt matter - and - plan on Aug 29-31 for FIREMANS WEEKDAY WEEKEND at Oroville.... On the floating site. I'll let you know more as it gets closer-Hope you can make it..
Brian C
Old    mike_little            06-04-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
I'm installing one on my X-30 this weekend. Fake a lake won't work for my boat because the raw water intake is covered by the trailer rail when the boat is out of the water. There's no way to run the boat except to climb inside, pull the water inlet hose and run a garden hose water supply to it before you start. The Flush pro kit will allow me to do it without someone else having to turn on the water for me while I hold the hoses together or getting water all over the inside of the boat. It will also keep me from having to repeatedly remove and reconnect the water inlet hose.

Perko also makes a kit that allows you to make a through hull fitting (stainless hose connector) and run a hose to the flush pro so that you can connect the garden hose to the outside of the boat.

I will be sure to periodically check all of my connections to make sure that they are tight and not leaking.