Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old    alanp            10-08-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
well my engine was running poorly and i found that an electrode was missing from the #7 cylinder plug. i pulled the head last night. thankfully no damage was done to the piston or cylinder but i did find that i had blown a head gasket. im going to take both heads in to be checked and install new crankshaft bearings. anything else i should do?? since im going to have the engine torn apart? maybe a timing chain(only about 300 hour on the boat)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Did you water in the oil i.e a milkshake? If not do nothing but check the heads and put them back on $.02 300 hours is nothing.

If you had water in the cylinder, I would check the #7 TDC looking for a bent pushrod.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-08-2008, 3:47 PM Reply   
Pushrod? or Connecting Rod?

Water doesn't compress so it's pretty easy to bend a connecting rod if you have milkshake oil. If you have milkshake oil I would change all the bearings including crankshaft, rod, and cam bearings since the engine is already apart. Also make sure that you flush everything out including the complete oil system. Any water left in the oiling system will wipe out the bearings much sooner than later... Just my $0.02! Do you know what caused the problem? Check your timing, distributor, and camshaft too.
Old    alanp            10-08-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
no milkshake oil. i will check the pushrods though. what i think caused the electrode to break off was blown head gasket(about 3/4" of gasket material). i dont have a ton of engine/mechanical experience but im assuming since the head gasket was blown that at least some water got into the middle two cylinders??
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
Alan, I had a REALLY weird blown headgasket where it literally blew between the gasket and the head (no where near a water jacket). As a result I didnt need to mess with the lower end at all since there was no water in any of the cylinders. My boat was used and when I pulled the head I noticed that they had used an auto gasket instead of marine. When I ordered the marine gasket I noticed a substantial difference in "style" and mating surfaces.

Ultimately I had the cylinder heads tested for leaks, cracks etc. Took a look at all the pushrods and rockers. No issues anywhere. Bought some ARP headbolts, cleaned out all the bolt threads and put it back together.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
D'oh, my bad, good catch Sam, I meant connecting rod.
Old    alanp            10-08-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
i'll try to grab a photo of the gasket. it blew in between the middle two cycliders. the valves on those cylinders look a little oily and "wet" and the valves on the outside two cylinders look whiteish and dry or charred. i also used a fiber optic scope to check the cylinder before i took off the head and there was absolutely no water in the cyclinder. id really not like to have to take the engine out.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
I'll bet your engine got hot and warped the head, you need to inspect the block restrictions and inspect the entire cooling system from the scoop to the exhaust.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-08-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
Alan, they may be oily and wet due to valve leakage or even poor piston ring sealing rather than water from the blown gasket.

Either way I repaired my head gasket without pulling the motor. Just yanked the engine cover off and went to town. I would imagine that your nautique may be a tighter fit. You may also want to weigh the time and cost between repairing the stock and simply buying a new/rebuilt engine. You could potentially upgrade to more power too.