Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-24-2012, 5:31 AM Reply   
I personally think this is a great idea. I'm sure some of you will think this is a "joke" competition or just for fun, which i'm sure it is. But I think it could actually help the sport a bit. if you think about it, It makes riders focus on style and the "little" things (no pun intended). I don't know if this has already been posted, if it has feel free to delete it, just thought a little cool video would be cool for this tuesday morning!

Last edited by wakeworld; 04-30-2012 at 3:09 PM.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2012, 6:28 AM Reply   
hopefully it'll actually breed some creativity into old tricks. I love simpler tricks buts it's time to see some new variations away from a shifty stalefish to blind or a ts stalefish 3 etc, etc.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-24-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
i agree, i'd like to see this as an opportunity to get creative with some ole', osmosis, and rewinds! of course with everything being poked like none other!
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-24-2012, 8:10 AM Reply   
Personally I like the more simple tricks pulled off with style and variation. I just feel that sometimes it gets to a point where the spins and flips are so fast that its hard to tell what the trick actually was.

Or maybe I'm just jealous because I cant do them.....
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-24-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
I love the idea for contests like this. They are so good at coming up with innovative contest ideas to keep things fresh.
2 thoughts after watching that teaser...
1. Bob Soven is sure ON POINT isn't he? Good god that first 3 he did - it looked like he was able to lock into that like a robot at each stage of the spin - he's unreal.
2. Is it just me or are boards getting small again? Bob's and Jeff McKee's boards both looked very very short.
Old    sperbet            04-24-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
Yeah, great idea.

I just saw Bob ride for the first time recently. I'm very impressed, stylie and goes big
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-24-2012, 12:14 PM Reply   
I just watched it again and i can't believe no body did anything osmosis, ole or rewind, weird, i figured bob would have pulled something like that. Honestly, i think the idea of the comp it awesome, but i'm pretty disappointed in the creativity.

Erik, it does look like they are using smaller boards, but you know these guys have a few of a bunch of different sizes for whatever suits their needs. I'm sure with something like this where you are poking the snot out of things a smaller board would be better, but i don't know.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-24-2012, 1:41 PM Reply   
sippi, that video was posted by Alliance on their website, and it is labeled as a "teaser", so I am sure that there will be a full length video out later....
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
Bob's toe indy 3 is one of the coolest looking tricks I've seen in a long while. I wish mine looked like that.

Looks like they assembled a great group to keep it under 5 and make it look good.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-25-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
stephan i agree, great group of guys for this. wish benny G was in it, but oh well. haha.

Johnny, oh i know, that's where i got it from. can't wait to see the whole thing, i hope they put it up. I'll put it on here if i see it.
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-25-2012, 6:05 AM Reply   
this is awesome. i cant wait to see the full video
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-25-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
I've submitted this to our local riders federation. Really hope it happens here this year or next.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-25-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
I thought I saw Benny G in that clip. Video is gone now so can't re watch it. Was I mistaken?
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-25-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
don't know how i missed that. but yea there is a quick shot of him, vandall is in it too. this should be cool. don't know why the vid got taken down but its still on alliance.

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/all...n-five-teaser/
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-25-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
off topic, but what is with these Vimeo videos that say "Sorry

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature."

I see this with quite a few Vimeo videos that get posted here. I click on the Vimeo plus deal and i'm not paying Vimeo money to watch web short vids. It's irritating.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-25-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post

The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature."

I see this with quite a few Vimeo videos that get posted here. I click on the Vimeo plus deal and i'm not paying Vimeo money to watch web short vids. It's irritating.
Absolutely, absolutely agree.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post

It's not about paying Vimeo to see the video. It's a privacy option that is available to Vimeo Plus and Vimeo Pro account holders. You can select where you want the video to appear. Alliance only wants their videos to appear on their site. That it all. No one is asking you to pay to watch videos.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-25-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Yes Adam, but the problem is they changed those permissions after the fact. This video was ok to view yesterday and today it is not. That's the annoyance.
Old     (TelepromptedAnthems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
Yes Adam, but the problem is they changed those permissions after the fact. This video was ok to view yesterday and today it is not. That's the annoyance.
Didn't you use to run your own site or work for Fuel TV or something? It seems like not wanting your original content all over the internet wouldn't be that hard of a concept for you to grasp.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-25-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhawk View Post
Ditto to what Teleprompeted Anthems said.

Generally all of their videos are privacy protected, maybe they forgot this time to hit the privacy control button. I don't see what the big deal is to only be able to watch it on the Alliance site. It's their product, they can do what they want with it.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-25-2012, 1:50 PM Reply   
i agree.....

SOOOOO..... hows about this less than 5 comp. what would you like to see done in it or with it.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-25-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
I love the idea of less than 5 contest... maybe since I can't spin more than 5 anyway I've never really been a fan of spins more than 7 or too many of the mobes past 3. I also liked bob's indy ts 3. That has been one of my favorite tricks to throw the past couple of years. It took a while to get them dialed but they are really fun once you do.
Old     (mcane6)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-25-2012, 9:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippi View Post
I just watched it again and i can't believe no body did anything osmosis, ole or rewind, weird, i figured bob would have pulled something like that. Honestly, i think the idea of the comp it awesome, but i'm pretty disappointed in the creativity.

Erik, it does look like they are using smaller boards, but you know these guys have a few of a bunch of different sizes for whatever suits their needs. I'm sure with something like this where you are poking the snot out of things a smaller board would be better, but i don't know.

http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/less-than-5-web-dump/
Bob's signature TS back 360 rewind to 180 Nose grab .
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-26-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
awesome, yea didn't see that article, still doesn't look like osmosis or ole were used, but i'm sure they did. I would have loved to have seen keith lyman in this. this sport is missing him for sure! his huge 5's that are grabbed from start to finish are awesome. They need to go ahead and put out the whole vid of this.

ok question, out of the riders NOT in this comp, who would you like to see in another one! I personally would like to see keith lyman but that obviously isn't going to happen. I'd have to go with Murray and Shota
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-26-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
Byerly
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-26-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
Trevor maur, chris o, Collin wright, henshaw
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-26-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippi View Post
awesome, yea didn't see that article, still doesn't look like osmosis or ole were used, but i'm sure they did. I would have loved to have seen keith lyman in this. this sport is missing him for sure! his huge 5's that are grabbed from start to finish are awesome. They need to go ahead and put out the whole vid of this.

ok question, out of the riders NOT in this comp, who would you like to see in another one! I personally would like to see keith lyman but that obviously isn't going to happen. I'd have to go with Murray and Shota
i garuntee harley could win this comp with some dirty 3s and rewinds.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-26-2012, 7:15 PM Reply   
My less than 5 team captain would be Collin Harrington.

Just about every clip of his that I have watched has given me something new to try. I love the mind blowing vids that several pros are cranking out, but I like that Collin's style motivates mine.
Old     (mcane6)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-26-2012, 7:50 PM Reply   
Lyman murray harley
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-26-2012, 8:43 PM Reply   
Just watched round 1. I don't know what the heats were, but my top 4 would be:

1. Bob
2. JD
3. Twelker
4. Henshaw

I really wish Harley was in this. He's got the best 3s in the game in my opinion. And of course, he also has that toe back 1 to rewind that Bob does. He does a method to blind where he grabs twice and pokes twice: method and then indy. No one else is doing that.

Another rider I'd like to see in this would be Dean Smith.

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer; 04-26-2012 at 8:45 PM.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder86 View Post
Byerly
WORD. His switch TS Stale 3 to blind... Dirtiest thing ever.

I'd also add Erich Schmaltz, CC Roberts, Greg Nelson, Corey Kraut, Josh Smith and Collin Wright to the list. Some of the sickest 'less than 5s' you will ever see.

I'd add Parks to the list as well. Without a doubt.

Last edited by scbrips; 04-26-2012 at 9:30 PM.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-26-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
So basically, naming 90s wakeboarders makes you cool and "old school"?
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2012, 10:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
So basically, naming 90s wakeboarders makes you cool and "old school"?
Duh! It's "Old Skool", BTW.

And I seriously respect that you said (wrote) "90s" and not "90's".

Admittedly, I said all of that to be cool. Not because Schmaltz does the gnarliest wrapped spins. Not because CC does the sickest stalled Melan 3s off the dub. Not because Nelson busts the styliest Shifty Indy. Not because Corey originated Monkey 3s. Not because Josh sticks sick Indy BS 180s. And not because Collin throws down dirty rewind spins.

DUDE. You wanted Harley to be in this "comp". Harley rhymes with gnarly. Coincidence? NAH BRAH!

The Hebrew Hammer! Jesus was a barefooter.
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-27-2012, 3:31 AM Reply   
Scbrips I did a search on your name and you do seem to have a historical-hard-on for talking about the olden days like that in eeevvverrrrrry freeaakinng threeaaad. It gets old. We get it. YOU ARE SO HARDCORE. For the record you did sound like a dingleberry there. Also, Corey Kraut is dead, died 12 years ago in fact. RIP, it was sad that it happened and God rest his soul.

Also I am sure Randy Harris' (and Harf's, and O'Sheas, and Shanes etc etc etc ) wrapped spin are more gnar-shred-grnar than Schmaltz ever even thought were possible - and Schmaltz would probably be the first to admit that.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-27-2012, 3:51 AM Reply   
SCBrips forgot to add Eric Perez. He had the sickest blender (wrapped 3)!!!!!!
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-27-2012, 5:10 AM Reply   
I always found Collin wright to have mad variations but horrible style... Just a personal opinion.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-27-2012, 7:27 AM Reply   
Not to get on your case SCBrips, you and I have crossed paths before but when you say you'd like to add these historically important riders to the list at Less Than Five, are you aware that CC Roberts was in a terrible accident at the pro tour stop up here in my neck of the woods (New England) and while he has now made many people's lives better with his motivational talks, his profession as a counselor, and his motivational videos on YouTube, he is paralyzed? And Corey Kraut passed away in 1999 or 2000 if I remember correctly, rest in peace, that was so sad. Do you know about those occurrences?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
That was a cool "tournament", its good to see guys going big, being stylish and while not spinning like crazy, keeping it just as technical. Bob's rewind stuff is awesome, Ben's control and smoothness just looks like how wakeboarding should be and Randall is still king of boosting and riding away in ways that few can.

Would love to see the unedited versions of each persons run, style is so much in how you link tricks that it would be fun to see how these rippers move from one to the next.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-27-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Awesome, but Twelker's moves/tweaks still look untouchable to me...
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-27-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
I agree with stephan i'd love to see the unedited version of this to see it all go down.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-27-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
Less than 5 round 1

Less than 5 finals

Last edited by wakeworld; 04-30-2012 at 3:11 PM.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-27-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
still think somebody should have held a grab all the way through an ole 5 or held a grab and did an osmosis 3 or 5. but oh well, maybe they'll do another one.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
Dear lord, scbrips getting ripped apart for preferring legends who always rode creatively and didn't need some event to remind them to do so. This is really a fun discussion.

And i'm quite sure he knows what happened to cc, or that corey kraut had passed away some time ago. none of those guys listed would ever ride in today's event--that's not really the point. But it would have been cool to get them all together to see it all go down in one spot. It would be like mashing hit it with mayday.

Oops, sorry for the old school reference...
Old     (CasMarks)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-27-2012, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
Awesome, but Twelker's moves/tweaks still look untouchable to me...
Agree, don't know how/why he didn't make it to the final. Makes me think the results were in before the riding but still fun comp to watch.
Old     (ponder86)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-27-2012, 12:09 PM Reply   
Yeah there are a lot of disrespectful punks on this forum now and it drives me crazy.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-27-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
yea i agree too, he had some awesome pokes with his spins i love that hesitation a big poke gives a 3 or 5. i was shocked benwood didn't poke as much as he normally does, he's one of the best at it!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       04-27-2012, 5:56 PM Reply   
PS erik, CC's accident was the same one that killed todd brendel, and that was not in new england.
http://wakeboardingmag.com/features/...02/cc-roberts/
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-28-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
@Sippi the reason why there weren't any ole or osmosis tricks is because they are used on 5s and bigger. this was a less than 5 contest. the biggest trick trown was a 3 or maybe bobs rewind but nothing was a straight 5.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       04-29-2012, 5:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricsnow View Post
PS erik, CC's accident was the same one that killed todd brendel, and that was not in new england.
http://wakeboardingmag.com/features/...02/cc-roberts/
OK. For some reason I thought it happened in CT, the weekend of a pro tour stop.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-29-2012, 5:47 PM Reply   
There were several 5s in there, oh well
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-29-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
I think the idea of the contest is fresh and welcomed. I get dizzy trying to count rotations.

SCBrips. I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing that this in not your quote: "Jesus was a barefooter" Doesn't matter, never mind... I'm stealing it.