Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2010, 9:23 PM Reply   
last year july 11th was the first time any of us ever surfed behind the boat ....... chris on a hyperlite landlock behind our sanger with no weight ...... july 12th i bought our first board and my first 440#lb sac off craigs list ...... maybe a couple days after that our first sacs from cal marine

we just hit our 1 year surfing at the same lake we started at ....... have met so many wonderful people ...... starting with robert and his wonderfull family at wake 9, dennis who let me use the first board i could let go of the rope on, the walkers who gave us a great show and let us see what was possible to do behind the boat

today chris is really starting to take off with his wakesurfing, laura can almost land a 3 and get air under the board, catie is a perfect example of this sport being a great family sport and being a great equalizer of kids of all talents, she is even now trying to do a 3, me ive lost over 30lbs and have yet to pull off my first complete 3 but its any day now ( i hope )

its been a great year with great friends and a ton of fun with alot of different people and the fun continues on and on and on!!
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-13-2010, 9:35 PM Reply   
I've only surfed once. Then my MCL became angry due to wakeboarding.

m-
Old     (hematoma)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-13-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
Last season we prolly surfed 4 times. This season we have been hitting it hard, I banged my shoulders up wake boarding last season and surfing has taking its place. I grew up and have surfed the ocean my entire life so the transition to wake surfing was no big deal but BOARD selection has been my downfall. I absolutely hate the board I have now and decided to shape my own.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-14-2010, 9:05 PM Reply   
Hello,my name is Gunz,and I'm a Wakesurfaholic.

It's just snowballing outta control,and I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2010, 10:27 PM Reply   
We started when we got the Tige 24Ve. Check this out, this is our first ever session. No ballast, check out the monster wake.

5/11/2007

Here is a link to the slideshow of a bunch of images from the first ever session.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wake9/s...73214115/show/
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2010, 10:31 PM Reply   
I agree with you frank on the great equalizer. RJ gets out there and is boosting as high as he can, working on ollie-oop 360s, pushing it, and whitney gets out there just smiles and surfs and lip syncs to the music. Then we get Jessica out for her 30 second rides with the Rope.

We just got off the lake, I love how wakesurfing keeps our family tight, for us, it wasn't the same with wakeboarding, but hey, maybe thats just us.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Started surfing in june 2003, probably have taught close to 50 people to surf since then.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-15-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Wakesurfed a few times in the late '80's behind my grandfathers's 32' Pacemaker. Then started again when I got my first v-drive 2001 Super Air. However it was not until this season that I have actually gone out on the boat with the intent to wakesurf and we have been having a blast. We always used to surf after wakeboarding all day and were tired, its amazing what you can accomplish with fresh legs.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-15-2010, 4:30 PM Reply   
Really I started is 2005. But in 1967 Dad bought a long board from a neighbor in Toledo Ohio. We tried to surf that board behind Dad's little 16 foot, 55 HP Starcraft outboard. That boat barely made a ripple in the water and well we couldn’t figure out how to surf. We did ride behind the boat on a rope many times though.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-15-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
I think from 2002, when we found first man who was`t scary of loading his boat

But early test were from 1997 with old wooden Boesch boat. It doesnt work :/

Last edited by hawaj; 07-15-2010 at 4:42 PM.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
three years..surfing 25..
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-15-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
i started in 2008. i did it a couple times in 08 and 09 but this year riding with james and frank i have been really pumped on the sport. ive been progressing and having a lot of fun. my whole family is stoked on the sport.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       07-15-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
i wakesurfed for the first time back in April of this year and haven't been on a wakeboard since.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2010, 8:54 PM Reply   
@show I have to add that we used to bring our ocean surfboards to the lake when I was in High School, and my brother and I would ride behind the boat. We loved to go out when water was glass, my dad would pull us, get up to about 35 mph and then whip us HARD. We would crank to the outside and then let go and you could coast for a good 200 yds or so, and rip for about 100, it was fun. But that was a 17ft Sea Ray, no wake to surf on that sucker. So that was like 1986 or so.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2010, 11:30 PM Reply   
3rd year. 08 just got to test my 85 supra sunsport one time with a borrowed board and I was hooked. 09 probably surfed every other time on the boat...wakeboard everytime and surf every other. 2010 surfin more than I board. I like it because you don't get injured like you do with wakeboarding. I'm torn though because I really want to progress in wakeboarding and I bought my surf thinkin it would be just nice relaxer for after wakeboarding
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
Started in 05 when I bought my Avy. Havent looked back since. But still havent gave up wakeboarding/wakeskating for good either.
Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
I guess it depends on your definition. I first wake surfed in 1994. But, from 1994 to about 2001 we used mostly two ski boats and "double boat surfed". We just used old, beat up ocean boards. Then in 2001 Jeff Page brought over the first Inland Surfer prototype. We used 5 gal buckets of wet sand as ballast and pulled out the back seat of my Prostar 205 so we could get the weight in the back corner of the boat. I've been hooked ever since...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-16-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Do you have an pics of surfing behind that prostar? That would be pretty classic.
Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
I'll dig some up