Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-22-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
Hey I just landed my first bunch of raleys.. finally. But now I'm finding that after a few raleys, my back is started to get sore. I think it is the way my back is being ARC-ed. Is this common or am I doing something wrong?
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-22-2009, 7:36 AM Reply   
I'm not sure if its the arcing of the back or the crushing of the back from landing with a slightly bent back. My back hurts after a few Raleys as well.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-22-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Well one time I heard my back crack when I was fully extended. Nothing severe I guess, just the same kind of crack that your fingers make if you were to crack them. But, I havent been wakeboarding for a week or so and its still a little sore. It's getting progressively better but.. yea the impact of the landing is pretty hard too.
Old     (moombakidadg)      Join Date: May 2008       08-22-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
stretch prior!
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-22-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
i do, always!
Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-22-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Don't let your handle go to far away in the air. Don't extend your arms totally.
Old     (moombakidadg)      Join Date: May 2008       08-22-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
its probably from rapid hyperextension of the back even though it may only be a few degrees to far. Also your board/boots may be light but that is still 10-20lbs flying backwards which you back isnt used to either. I cant do a raley, they look fun and congrats on sticking em.
Old     (xstrcrzy)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-22-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
I agree with Scott, that was the problem I was having with mine before, then I really focused on stopping the momentum of my legs going all the way behind my had and trying to stay as horizontal to the water as possible, and violla no back pain. Or you could try going for a hoochie or ohh, that way, for sure, your back won't be so tweaked out.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
"Don't extend your arms totally."

I just started doing them again after two years of rehab (Acute Clavical separation/ ruptured bicep tendon) . I've found that tucking your elbows into your stomach equals no strain on the back or arms at all (lower or upper)!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-23-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
Sounds like everyone doesn't like the laid out real Raleys. I like it extreme scorpion style
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-23-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
Grab it so you don't get full extension. Congrats on the trick.
Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2009, 5:53 AM Reply   
I'd say you can "lay them out" but make sure you tuck your arms a little to absorb the pull.

Ouch!
http://fotopocket.nl/fpimages/2009/07/14/41c03197428b70f85ddfd649468bbe79/mooie%25shot%25raley%25copy.jpg

Yeah!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3098/2563348531_0d913feb92.jpg
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
J2 !! i jus started doing Raleys again after being out for a year with a ruputured bicep tendon, got a new tendon, good to go. this is about 3 weeks ago.

Upload
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
and this is preinjury raley, max extension, sorry for pic quality.
Upload
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for the congrats everyone. Ok I will try to get my arms bent next time and maybe try for the grab. As of right now, I'm keeping off the board for a bit longer. My back doesnt hurt for the most part, but I find that when I purposely lean back, I can feel a little bit of discomfort. Nothing too bad but... I'm a still a little worried. Something is not 100%. I'm going to the physio-therapist tomorrow and see what he says.
Old     (natemah)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-24-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (jason_martin)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-24-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
I'll try that arm thing next time I go out. I think it's also good to look down the line in the air so your board doesn't tweak way out to one side. I messed up my back pretty good doing a raley about a month ago. Didn't even crash, but after I landed I had to end my run because it hurt too much to hang on. The first night after it happened I couldn't even get out of bed. Took me about a week and a half before I rode again. It still feels kinda weird, but I'm back out doing raleys again even though I swore I never would again.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-24-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
whats the secret to doing raleys... I tried one and landed with my back on the water lol
Old     (petew)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-25-2009, 5:04 AM Reply   
this sounds like a bit of a diffrent problem to the one im going to describe but tones of riders here get lower back pain that is ache'y and constant. (i cant stand up right and still for to long) and we all find that streching our bum muscles really helps becuse our bum muscles become over tight (after supporting loads of landings) and pull on the lower back.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-25-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Back pain is just one of the many problems in the pain department of Raley's... ;)

Does anyone feel like they hit their front foot ankle coming up the wake on Raleys? The few I have done sometimes I will catch my front foot if the wake is really steep. It really psychs me out.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-26-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
Had one of our guys use Shadow Box last night and he said that it registered about 8.4 Gs on a Raley landing that was 10.9 ft high. That might have something to do with the back pain....
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-26-2009, 9:12 AM Reply   
You guys might also keep in mind how you are landing. I have had a lot of back pain if I land flat rather than continuing to edge. If you can land with momentum, keeping your edge away from the boat, then a raley shouldn't hurt at all.
Old     (jason_martin)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-26-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
Dam JB! That's enough Gs to buy a boat. I think my back problems were from doing four runs the day before.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-26-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Nedge,
I was doin' the same (pre pics) as you. 31yrs and counting. I'll post em' when I find em!

Anyways, I've just found them (My gonadz) and now I'm back!
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-26-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
Glad you found yours j2 !! definetly nads required; nice phat raley was the las trick i did before my bi tendon let go, big mental hurdle(for me) to start doing them again. big floaty ones feels so goooood !! post up pics !
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
Ok, so I went to see the physiotherapist. Apparently I've pinched something at the L4 section of my spine. I think he said it was the joint or something. Anyways, he says it will be a fairly quick recovery... but who knows. They can only determine so much without a CT scan or x-ray. I've also noticed that my neck has been pretty stiff for the last 2 weeks. I think it was from not getting my board back underneath me in time on a raley, and taking the old faceplant. I've had whiplash before but it's always gone away in about 3 or 4 days. This must just be a more severe case(if that is infact what this is).

On a different topic, I'm curious to start trying batwings when I'm recovered. Is the approach the same as a raley? What are the main differences? Do you wait longer to throw the board behind you or...???
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-29-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
Also, I can't imagine that a batwing would have the same kind of strain on the back?? Would it?