Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-03-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
I just got done with my boathouse. On my lake, you are not allowed to enclose your boathouse. So, my boat is on the lift, and I would just like to leave my boards on the racks. However, I just feel a little uneasy leaving that much equipment up there to tempt someone.

Anybody got any ideas about how to lock the boards to the racks? My racks are no normal flightclips....they project straight out. I was think of maybe getting one of these retractable cable locks. Possibly running the cables through a boot and cinching it up tight around the board to the tower. Problem wouldn't be completely secure but just need something to slow them down since I live there fulltime.

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BD69G0/ref=olp_product_details/104-7116399-2773551?ie=UTF8&seller=
Upload
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-03-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
Just curious why you want to leave them on the racks when you could put them in the boat. Out of sight out of mind. Even if you lock the boards down you could always take the bindings off and then slide the board off. Good luck with your quest
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
That seems like it would be enough to slow them down a for a little while. How long does it take you to load your gun?
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-03-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
Masterlock python locks will cinch right down on them. Bicycle section at Walmart.. $13.82 each.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-03-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
just take the boards off, if anything you'll just attract more people to your boat because the first thing they'll see is boards 'left' on the tower, but in the end they'll just steal something else from the boat.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-03-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
Build some kind of enclosure on the dock to put them in...

Or... get high tech and get motion sensors on the dock.

I would just take them up to the house personally. To expensive of an item imo. Especially when someone could get them if they really wanted to after seeing your setup a few times.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-04-2007, 12:33 AM Reply   
Assuming you at least have a dock or something, you could always get a plastic or metal kind of lockable chest or bin, bolt that down, and then lock all your stuff inside of it. Just an idea, don't know if it would apply or not...
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-04-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
and I thought I was lazy...take your boards up to the house.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-04-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
If you really "had" to leave your boards on the dock, there are two things you can do to deter theft: 1) put them in the boat, under the cover; or 2) you could weld up an enclosure, kind of like a gun case. I would make sure the bottom is either completely open or made of some wire mesh so that water is able to drain out & not rust the whole thing out. You might also consider one of those Rubbermaid storage lockers. Just make sure you find a way to permanently mount it down & get a round cable lock on it.

I definitely wouldn't just put a cable through the bindings though. It only takes 2 seconds to cut through one with a sawzall. I know this because I lost the key for my padlock once.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-04-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
I'd just take the screws off the bindings and slide the boards right off the racks. You'd come to ride and have a pair of bindings dangling like Xmas ornaments.

Again, boards come off for sure!
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-04-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
Yea, wanting to leave them on the racks is a bit of laziness on my part but I'm looking for a temporary solution really. However, since I live on the lake full time, I was hoping that there might be a solution out there since I am hopeful that I can ride 3-4 times a week. Getting them out each time gets old.

I have 4 boards + wakeskate + a landlock. The wakeskate and landlock are stored in the boat and in a shed In my 01 SAN, I'm pressed to store 4 boards in it. I didn't say that I was leaving them on the racks, but I'd like to be able to leave them on the racks, if there was something out there. Guess that might not be the case.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
why dont they allow enclosed boat houses?
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-04-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
Restriction of the power company. The only allow an enclosure on one side....I'm working on getting that built but have another issue to work out first.